Web Services - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Web Services - IBM AS400 ; An outside company is giving us a sales pitch about developing an online order entry system for us. The don't know anything about the iSeries, they just said to use web servies to pass the information back and forth. I ...

  1. Web Services

    An outside company is giving us a sales pitch about developing an
    online order entry system for us. The don't know anything about the
    iSeries, they just said to use web servies to pass the information
    back and forth.

    I have looked into web services a little bit and there seems to be a
    lot of people saying to buy and use rpg-xml. Is this because it is
    too difficult/confusing to program web services without a 3rd party
    package?

    We already have online order entry that I wrote using RPG/CGI and it
    works great but for some reason they want to research this outside
    option. I am just wondering if a package like rpg-xml would be
    something needed or is it something I can do on my own with little
    pain.

  2. Re: Web Services

    Using web services from RPG has been discussed several times.

    Matt
    On May 6, 2:40*pm, "kbarkem...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > An outside company is giving us a sales pitch about developing an
    > online order entry system for us. *The don't know anything about the
    > iSeries, they just said to use web servies to pass the information
    > back and forth.
    >
    > * I have looked into web services a little bit and there seems to be a
    > lot of people saying to buy and use rpg-xml. *Is this because it is
    > too difficult/confusing to program web services without a 3rd party
    > package?
    >
    > * We already have online order entry that I wrote using RPG/CGI and it
    > works great but for some reason they want to research this outside
    > option. * I am just wondering if a package like rpg-xml would be
    > something needed or is it something I can do on my own with little
    > pain.

  3. Re: Web Services

    Will the order entry system reside on the iSeries ?

    If you're writing calls in RPG, RPG-XML is a wrapper to make
    calling/creating web services easier in RPG.

    Another option is to use Scott Klements HTTPAPI service program.

    I believe in V6R1 there are also some new mechanisms which should make
    working with XML and Web Services easier.

    You can also write web service call in Java or .Net as well depending on the
    specifics of where the order entry system will reside.

    Share a little more info on where the order entry system will reside and
    what it will be written in and I can provide additional input.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Get the information you need. Now!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    wrote in message
    > An outside company is giving us a sales pitch about developing an
    > online order entry system for us. The don't know anything about the
    > iSeries, they just said to use web servies to pass the information
    > back and forth.
    >
    > I have looked into web services a little bit and there seems to be a
    > lot of people saying to buy and use rpg-xml. Is this because it is
    > too difficult/confusing to program web services without a 3rd party
    > package?
    >
    > We already have online order entry that I wrote using RPG/CGI and it
    > works great but for some reason they want to research this outside
    > option. I am just wondering if a package like rpg-xml would be
    > something needed or is it something I can do on my own with little
    > pain.

  4. Re: Web Services

    Richard Schoen skrev den 09-05-2008 20:16:

    > If you're writing calls in RPG, RPG-XML is a wrapper to make
    > calling/creating web services easier in RPG.
    >
    > Another option is to use Scott Klements HTTPAPI service program.

    Am I right in assuming that this does not handle the SOAP level but
    assumes that you know yourself how to wrap and unwrap the XML messages
    to go back and forth?

    --
    Thorbjørn

  5. Re: Web Services

    I believe both include XML parsing tools and examples.

    I personally use .Net or Java when writing or calling web services, although
    PHP in now another good choice for the iSeries as well.

    "Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen" wrote in message
    news:48249fec$0$15873$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
    > Richard Schoen skrev den 09-05-2008 20:16:
    >
    >> If you're writing calls in RPG, RPG-XML is a wrapper to make
    >> calling/creating web services easier in RPG.
    >>
    >> Another option is to use Scott Klements HTTPAPI service program.

    > Am I right in assuming that this does not handle the SOAP level but
    > assumes that you know yourself how to wrap and unwrap the XML messages to
    >
    > --
    > Thorbjørn

+ Reply to Thread