Apache POI software on iSeries/i5/System i/i/what-the-hell-will-it-be-called-next-week - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Apache POI software on iSeries/i5/System i/i/what-the-hell-will-it-be-called-next-week - IBM AS400 ; Has anyone installed any of this (specifically, the HSSF routines to read/write Excel files)? A developer in our company wrote something that depends on the HSSF routines. It exists in our development environment, and he assumed it must be on ...

  1. Apache POI software on iSeries/i5/System i/i/what-the-hell-will-it-be-called-next-week

    Has anyone installed any of this (specifically, the HSSF routines to
    read/write Excel files)?

    A developer in our company wrote something that depends on the HSSF
    routines. It exists in our development environment, and he assumed it
    must be on the production partition as well. It isn't. The
    infrastructure manager responsible for the i partitions is reflexively
    opposed to putting open source software into a production environment.

    I'd like to get information on others' experiences with it to present to
    management.

  2. Re: Apache POI software on iSeries/i5/System i/i/what-the-hell-will-it-be-called-next-week

    il 29/04/2008 18.31, Scrive Jonathan Ball 40652552:
    > Has anyone installed any of this (specifically, the HSSF routines to
    > read/write Excel files)?
    >
    > A developer in our company wrote something that depends on the HSSF
    > routines. It exists in our development environment, and he assumed it
    > must be on the production partition as well. It isn't. The
    > infrastructure manager responsible for the i partitions is reflexively
    > opposed to putting open source software into a production environment.
    >
    > I'd like to get information on others' experiences with it to present to
    > management.

    An open-source sw is not different from a "closed" one, except that if
    you want source too, you have the chance to download them.
    If your boss still dislike open-source, either do not download source or
    have your boss leave them closed! :-)
    The only alternative is to develop your own HSSF routines, I did it in C
    a long time ago just because some years ago as400 jvm was not so
    performant and it took a long time to have a JNI program evoke Java
    classes. Now it's a different story: today HW is very fast even running
    CPU-intensive programs, as JVM is, and 32-bit JVM is faster too..

  3. Re: Apache POI software on iSeries/i5/System i/i/what-the-hell-will-it-be-called-next-week

    There's no reason not to use Open Source on the System i.

    We use Jasper Reports and several other Open Source variants in our
    commercial products.

    If your management has objections, you can point them to me for discussion.

    POI is good stuff.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Get the information you need. Now!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "Jonathan Ball" wrote in message
    news:WIKdnfJmzo1L0IrVnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Has anyone installed any of this (specifically, the HSSF routines to
    > read/write Excel files)?
    >
    > A developer in our company wrote something that depends on the HSSF
    > routines. It exists in our development environment, and he assumed it
    > must be on the production partition as well. It isn't. The
    > infrastructure manager responsible for the i partitions is reflexively
    > opposed to putting open source software into a production environment.
    >
    > I'd like to get information on others' experiences with it to present to
    > management.

+ Reply to Thread