Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc - IBM AS400 ; Hello everybody, In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and PC's, that "are talking to each other" in the usual way IP connection. My question is if there is a possibility to define a ...

  1. Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc

    Hello everybody,

    In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and
    PC's,
    that "are talking to each other" in the usual way IP connection.
    My question is if there is a possibility to define a shared virtual
    disk to
    both of them?

    I assume that the common physical disk area has to be located
    in the AS400

    The answer to this question is very important to the project plan.
    I'll be very grateful to get an answer as soon as possible.

    A link to an appropriate site will be sufficient too.

    Thank you in advance,
    Amos

  2. Re: Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc

    AMOS wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and
    > PC's,
    > that "are talking to each other" in the usual way IP connection.
    > My question is if there is a possibility to define a shared virtual
    > disk to
    > both of them?
    >
    > I assume that the common physical disk area has to be located
    > in the AS400
    >
    > The answer to this question is very important to the project plan.
    > I'll be very grateful to get an answer as soon as possible.
    >
    > A link to an appropriate site will be sufficient too.

    Perhaps the IFS with NetServer and mapped drives would be useful? :
    http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg111506-story03.html
    http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/178.html
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...axoverview.htm

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: Defining a shared virtual disk between AS400 and a pc

    Karl Hanson wrote:
    > AMOS wrote:
    >> Hello everybody,
    >>
    >> In the factory I'm working for, there are both an AS400 computer and
    >> PC's,
    >> that "are talking to each other" in the usual way IP connection.
    >> My question is if there is a possibility to define a shared virtual
    >> disk to
    >> both of them?
    >>
    >> I assume that the common physical disk area has to be located
    >> in the AS400
    >>
    >> The answer to this question is very important to the project plan.
    >> I'll be very grateful to get an answer as soon as possible.
    >>
    >> A link to an appropriate site will be sufficient too.
    >>

    > Perhaps the IFS with NetServer and mapped drives would be useful? :
    > http://www.itjungle.com/fhg/fhg111506-story03.html
    > http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/178.html
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...axoverview.htm
    >

    > --
    > Karl Hanson

    You can create a directory in the ROOT file system of the IFS and share
    it with the PC (so the storage is on the iSeries).

    Or you can use the QNTC file system to allow the iSeries to see a
    share/directory on any server/PC on your LAN. In this case the storage
    is on the server/PC.

    HTH

    GB

+ Reply to Thread