Connect printers - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Connect printers - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I have another question for you all. I have to connect several printers to one AS400 over the Internet. Now I know that I can connect 1 printer using port 515. But that is only one. I need to ...

  1. Connect printers

    Hi,

    I have another question for you all.
    I have to connect several printers to one AS400 over the Internet. Now I
    know that I can connect 1 printer using port 515. But that is only one. I
    need to connect 4 printers to one place.
    Has anyone of you an idea how to do that or do I have to use VPN
    connections. Could I use other ports from the ISeries and if so, how do I do
    that.

    Thx
    Ace

  2. Re: Connect printers

    We have lots of remote printers on vpn's, and I don't mess with any of
    the ports, etc. They either have an ip that I hit with an IO corp
    5735e print server, or they have like a 5430e or 5450e box on them as
    they are parallel attach or they are hooked thru a pc that runs as a
    print server running io corp's adaptio software. They auto configure
    and I have to do nothing to configure them, they just pop right up and
    work great. It is so simple, the box does the ebcdic to ascii
    translation, etc.

    you can see the devices I am speaking about at http://www.iocorp.com

    chris

    On Apr 22, 4:53*am, "Ace" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have another question for you all.
    > I have to connect several printers to one AS400 over the Internet. Now I
    > know that I can connect 1 printer using port 515. But that is only one. I
    > need to connect 4 printers to one place.
    > Has anyone of you an idea how to do that or do I have to use VPN
    > connections. Could I use other ports from the ISeries and if so, how do I do
    > that.
    >
    > Thx
    > Ace

  3. Re: Connect printers

    On Apr 22, 4:53*am, "Ace" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have another question for you all.
    > I have to connect several printers to one AS400 over the Internet. Now I
    > know that I can connect 1 printer using port 515. But that is only one. I
    > need to connect 4 printers to one place.
    > Has anyone of you an idea how to do that or do I have to use VPN
    > connections. Could I use other ports from the ISeries and if so, how do I do
    > that.
    >
    > Thx
    > Ace

    Ace,

    Look at RPM from www.brooksnet.com . It willl allow a non-dedicated
    pc to act as a print server for remote print traffic.
    the output can be printed to 24 -99 printers plus it can be spooled to
    a disk file for further processing.

    If you are interested, my product OctoTools works in concert with RPM
    to print electronic forms, archive to PDF and many more functions.
    check out www.octotools.com

    Murray

  4. Re: Connect printers

    Ace wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have another question for you all.
    > I have to connect several printers to one AS400 over the Internet. Now I
    > know that I can connect 1 printer using port 515. But that is only one. I
    > need to connect 4 printers to one place.
    > Has anyone of you an idea how to do that or do I have to use VPN
    > connections. Could I use other ports from the ISeries and if so, how do I do
    > that.
    >
    > Thx
    > Ace

    Port 515 is the well known listening port for an LPD server. The LPD
    server receives the print data from some source. Assuming you are
    referring to printers with an LAN card or ones that are attached to a
    external print server, you can connect a number of printers to the AS400
    (now called "i" if you've been keeping up with the rename craze).

    The RFC 1179 defines how the LPR/LPD protocol works. The AS400 LPR
    (used by IP configured remote writers) uses parts of the original and
    revised versions of RFC 1179. With regard to use of ports, the AS400
    will use source ports in the range between 256-1024 giving 768 ports.

    One concern with regard to ports is whether you have enough source
    ports...for only 4 printers, that isn't going to be an issue. Another
    concern is if you are restricting which source ports can be used to
    communicate out on the internet. You would have to open all source
    ports from 256-1024. If you are concerned about security, then you
    would want to consider VPN connections. Not only would this avoid
    concerns with security of the ports, but it would also protect the print
    data being transmitted.

    --
    Rodney A Johnson
    Working on a new project. Former technical team Lead for i5/OS (AS/400)

    my employer, IBM. All responsibility for the statements
    sender.

+ Reply to Thread