as400 vs mainframe - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on as400 vs mainframe - IBM AS400 ; please tell me which system i.e. as400 or mainframe is better for future career....

  1. as400 vs mainframe

    please tell me which system i.e. as400 or mainframe is better for
    future career.

  2. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    Richard wrote:
    > Nearly every client I've had since the early 90's has migrated off that
    > system onto something else (normally serveral things else if a M$ server
    > cluster!). Many have gone for SAP software and migrated to a large unix
    > box as part of the job.

    That's funny, I keep getting more and more AS400 (etc.. etc..) clients
    and customers every day. And existing ones keep buying new AS400s
    every 2-3 years.

    I would say less than 1% of my customers go off the AS400, and not to
    the tech guy's will.. usually upper managment that doesn't have a clue.

    My advice to questions like these is don't focus on any one "programming
    language" or platform. Just learn how to program whether it's with
    Java, C, etc.. etc.. Be a programmer, not a coder. Then switching
    languages really is as easy as learning a new syntax.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

  3. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >> Nearly every client I've had since the early 90's has migrated off
    >> that system onto something else (normally serveral things else if a M$
    >> server cluster!). Many have gone for SAP software and migrated to a
    >> large unix box as part of the job.
    >>

    > That's funny, I keep getting more and more AS400 (etc.. etc..) clients
    > and customers every day.

    That's funny - I watched the contract market for AS400/iSeries/i5 go
    almost completely dry in 2004, and watched hourly rates drop by 1/3. I
    now see contract offerings in Dice and Monster and CareerBuilder looking
    for programmers who have almost every IT technical skill imaginable,
    plus the ability to swap out nuclear reactor cores and cook a perfect
    beef Wellington. Well, not quite on those last two, but the contract
    market AS400 skillsets is definitely in the toilet compared with five
    years ago.

    > And existing ones keep buying new AS400s
    > every 2-3 years.
    >
    > I would say less than 1% of my customers go off the AS400, and not to
    > the tech guy's will.. usually upper managment that doesn't have a clue.

    I always laugh at techies saying that upper management doesn't have a
    clue. If *you* had a clue, you'd be in upper management. It's far
    harder than it looks.

    In any case, my current employer - had to give up 23 years of
    contracting/consulting three years ago - whose core system is JBA
    (System 21) on i5, has a firm commitment to move everything to SAP on
    System p.

    The System i is, indeed, dead. It was a great machine during its time,
    but trend is unmistakable.

  4. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>> Nearly every client I've had since the early 90's has migrated off
    >>> that system onto something else (normally serveral things else if a
    >>> M$ server cluster!). Many have gone for SAP software and migrated to
    >>> a large unix box as part of the job.
    >>>

    >> That's funny, I keep getting more and more AS400 (etc.. etc..) clients
    >> and customers every day.

    > That's funny - I watched the contract market for AS400/iSeries/i5 go
    > almost completely dry in 2004, and watched hourly rates drop by 1/3. I
    > now see contract offerings in Dice and Monster and CareerBuilder looking
    > for programmers who have almost every IT technical skill imaginable,
    > plus the ability to swap out nuclear reactor cores and cook a perfect
    > beef Wellington. Well, not quite on those last two, but the contract
    > market AS400 skillsets is definitely in the toilet compared with five
    > years ago.

    Maybe it's just weeding out those who can and those who say they can.
    the former is much too prevalent these days... not just in the iSeries
    world.

    >> And existing ones keep buying new AS400s every 2-3 years.
    >>
    >> I would say less than 1% of my customers go off the AS400, and not to
    >> the tech guy's will.. usually upper managment that doesn't have a clue.

    > I always laugh at techies saying that upper management doesn't have a
    > clue. If *you* had a clue, you'd be in upper management. It's far
    > harder than it looks.

    I'm sure it is.. I guess running my own company for over 15 years with
    over 3000 current customers (both software and consulting) doesn't count
    compared to the title of CIO, Program Manager, DBA, etc...

    > In any case, my current employer - had to give up 23 years of
    > contracting/consulting three years ago - whose core system is JBA
    > (System 21) on i5, has a firm commitment to move everything to SAP on
    > System p.
    >
    > The System i is, indeed, dead. It was a great machine during its time,
    > but trend is unmistakable.

    Hey, I'm fine with people saying that. The more that do, the more doors
    open for me.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

  5. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    On Apr 24, 11:55 pm, "Bradley V. Stone"
    wrote:
    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > > Bradley V. Stone wrote:

    > >> That's funny, I keep getting more and more AS400 (etc.. etc..) clients
    > >> and customers every day.

    > > That's funny - I watched the contract market for AS400/iSeries/i5 go
    > > almost completely dry in 2004, and watched hourly rates drop by 1/3. I
    > > now see contract offerings in Dice and Monster and CareerBuilder looking
    > > for programmers who have almost every IT technical skill imaginable,
    > > plus the ability to swap out nuclear reactor cores and cook a perfect
    > > beef Wellington. Well, not quite on those last two, but the contract
    > > market AS400 skillsets is definitely in the toilet compared with five
    > > years ago.

    > Maybe it's just weeding out those who can and those who say they can.
    > the former is much too prevalent these days... not just in the iSeries
    > world.

    I'm not sure why you would interpret falling contract rates along with
    much greater required skill sets in that way, but I suppose it is one
    interpretation.

    > >> And existing ones keep buying new AS400s every 2-3 years.

    > >> I would say less than 1% of my customers go off the AS400, and not to
    > >> the tech guy's will.. usually upper managment that doesn't have a clue.

    > > I always laugh at techies saying that upper management doesn't have a
    > > clue. If *you* had a clue, you'd be in upper management. It's far
    > > harder than it looks.

    > I'm sure it is.. I guess running my own company for over 15 years with
    > over 3000 current customers (both software and consulting) doesn't count
    > compared to the title of CIO, Program Manager, DBA, etc...

    Well, sincere congratulations on continuing to enjoy a great iSeries
    consulting career. There are a couple of garages in my area
    specializing in Packard and Hudson and Studebaker repairs, and they
    seem to be doing lucrative business, too.

  6. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Well, sincere congratulations on continuing to enjoy a great iSeries
    > consulting career. There are a couple of garages in my area
    > specializing in Packard and Hudson and Studebaker repairs, and they
    > seem to be doing lucrative business, too.

    Now that IS funny. do you hang out on alt.cars.studebaker to just to
    tell them how outdated their vehicles are and how great your toyota
    hybrid is compared to them?

    Best wishes, Johnathan.

    Brad
    www.bvstools.com

  7. Re: as400 vs mainframe

    Bradley V. Stone wrote:
    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > > Well, sincere congratulations on continuing to enjoy a great iSeries
    > > consulting career. There are a couple of garages in my area
    > > specializing in Packard and Hudson and Studebaker repairs, and they
    > > seem to be doing lucrative business, too.

    > Now that IS funny. do you hang out on alt.cars.studebaker to just to
    > tell them how outdated their vehicles are and how great your toyota
    > hybrid is compared to them?
    >
    > Best wishes, Johnathan.
    >
    > Brad
    > www.bvstools.com

    Come on kids...lets keep the flames at a minimum here..

    Lets all face it IBM has priced themselves right out of the market.
    They are quickly being replaced by oracle on linux and unix installs.

    That being said, there is ALWAYS going to be jobs out there for old
    school IBM guys. Look the the job postings on your favorite website
    and see how much an admin with DB2 experience can make. All the young
    guys out there are shooting at the linux boxes because its the most
    fun (c'mon we've all seen the pictures of the offices that .coms like
    yahoo and google have, who WOULDNT want to work in a place like that?)

    If you want to be one of The few guys out there that still knows this
    stuff, go iBM, else: go linux.

+ Reply to Thread