COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion - IBM AS400 ; Hello all, this is one more newbie to AS400. I have been working with Mainframes and Z.OS and recently shifted to a shop which uses AS400. I am extremely comfortable with Fileaid, and now, since the time i understood the ...

  1. COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion

    Hello all,

    this is one more newbie to AS400. I have been working with Mainframes
    and Z.OS and recently shifted to a shop which uses AS400.

    I am extremely comfortable with Fileaid, and now, since the time i
    understood the way PFs are created and are viewed through DDS to be
    in formatted manner, its really getting tough for me. Because, the
    shop i am using, for smoe reason, dont have DDS defined for all the
    files.

    So, I am looking at any option/utility where i can provide the COBOL
    Copybook as input and, a source member would be generated with a DDS
    written accordingly?

    Did anyone hear/see anything of that sort?

  2. Re: COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion

    Google brings up several programs - usually written in Java - to convert
    Copybooks into XML and other things. Years ago I wrote an RPGII program to
    use the F and I specifications from an RPG program to create a DDS PF
    member. A combination of the two would probably do what you want, although
    looking at an example of a Copybook, elementary items would map to real
    fields, but aggregate items would need to be handled as some kind of alias.
    You are welcome to a copy of my program.

    Peter Kinsman

    "cowboy007" wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > this is one more newbie to AS400. I have been working with Mainframes
    > and Z.OS and recently shifted to a shop which uses AS400.
    >
    > I am extremely comfortable with Fileaid, and now, since the time i
    > understood the way PFs are created and are viewed through DDS to be
    > in formatted manner, its really getting tough for me. Because, the
    > shop i am using, for smoe reason, dont have DDS defined for all the
    > files.
    >
    > So, I am looking at any option/utility where i can provide the COBOL
    > Copybook as input and, a source member would be generated with a DDS
    > written accordingly?
    >
    > Did anyone hear/see anything of that sort?

  3. Re: COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion

    Hello Peter,

    Thanks for your time and quick response.

    I would really like to see ur pgm, probably that can give me a clue of
    how can i handle for COBOL.
    you can send it to my email address (sai.bhagavatula@gmail.com) if you
    are okay.

    meanwhile,i shall search for programs which google provided

    On Apr 21, 1:34*pm, "Peter Kinsman"
    wrote:
    > Google brings up several programs - usually written in Java - to convert
    > Copybooks into XML and other things. *Years ago I wrote an RPGII programto
    > use the F and I specifications from an RPG program to create a DDS PF
    > member. *A combination of the two would probably do what you want, although
    > looking at an example of a Copybook, elementary items would map to real
    > fields, but aggregate items would need to be handled as some kind of alias..
    > You are welcome to a copy of my program.
    >
    > Peter Kinsman
    >
    > "cowboy007" wrote in message

    > > Hello all,

    > > this is one more newbie to AS400. I have been working with Mainframes
    > > and Z.OS and recently shifted to a shop which uses AS400.

    > > I am extremely comfortable with Fileaid, and now, since the time i
    > > understood the way PFs *are created and are viewed through DDS to be
    > > in formatted manner, its really getting tough for me. Because, the
    > > shop i am using, for smoe reason, dont have DDS defined for all the
    > > files.

    > > So, I am looking at any option/utility where i can provide the COBOL
    > > Copybook as input and, a source member would be generated with a DDS
    > > written accordingly?

    > > Did anyone hear/see anything of that sort?- Hide quoted text -

  4. Re: COBOL Copybook to DDS conversion

    "cowboy007" wrote in message
    | Hello all,
    |
    | this is one more newbie to AS400. I have been working with
    Mainframes
    | and Z.OS and recently shifted to a shop which uses AS400.
    |
    | I am extremely comfortable with Fileaid, and now, since the time i
    | understood the way PFs are created and are viewed through DDS to be
    | in formatted manner, its really getting tough for me. Because, the
    | shop i am using, for smoe reason, dont have DDS defined for all the
    | files.
    |
    | So, I am looking at any option/utility where i can provide the COBOL
    | Copybook as input and, a source member would be generated with a DDS
    | written accordingly?
    |
    | Did anyone hear/see anything of that sort?

    I do not have the code but several years ago, in a former life, I had
    my staff write a program to convert COBOL copy books into DDS. We did
    it using the AS400 COBOL compiler with the *MAP option.

    As you probably know the *MAP option provides a compiler listing of
    all variables in the working storage of a program being compiled.
    Since the compiler handles the COBOL syntax and code parsing you get a
    nice columnar report of all variables and their attributes with very
    little work. You just have to convert the *MAP list to a physical
    file and then convert the report list to DDS source format.

    Mike Sicilian

+ Reply to Thread