Server OS Reliability - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Server OS Reliability - IBM AS400 ; This doesn't really help the cause much. The latest Yankee Group 2008 Server OS Reliability Survey has been released ( http://www.iaps.com/2008-server-reliability-survey.html ). An excerpt reads "all of the major server operating system platforms" which seems to be limited to Windows, ...

  1. Server OS Reliability

    This doesn't really help the cause much. The latest Yankee Group 2008
    Server OS Reliability Survey has been released
    (http://www.iaps.com/2008-server-reliability-survey.html). An excerpt
    reads "all of the major server operating system platforms" which seems
    to be limited to Windows, Unix and Linux. There is no reference to
    excluding any environment.

    Given the major marketing argument for the ISeries/I is its reliability
    a document like this is interesting in that there is no mention of the
    system at all (sample group of 700 companies in 27 countries). I believe
    it didn't feature on the year before either.

    Rj.

  2. Re: Server OS Reliability

    On Apr 15, 6:36*pm, DBDriver wrote:
    > This doesn't really help the cause much. The latest Yankee Group 2008
    > Server OS Reliability Survey has been released
    > (http://www.iaps.com/2008-server-reliability-survey.html). An excerpt
    > reads "all of the major server operating system platforms" which seems
    > to be limited to Windows, Unix and Linux. There is no reference to
    > excluding any environment.
    >
    > Given the major marketing argument for the ISeries/I is its reliability
    > a document like this is interesting in that there is no mention of the
    > system at all (sample group of 700 companies in 27 countries). I believe
    > it didn't feature on the year before either.
    >
    > Rj.

    Not too surprising, though.
    A company I recently worked for was taken over. The new company
    decided to pull out the iSeries and move all the work over to their
    Wang system. They required I report all unplanned down time. In the
    1 year I was there, we didn't have any. The Wang averaged just over 2
    hours per day (yes, per DAY). My boss faked some numbers because "no
    unplanned down time" was unacceptable. (Actually make him look like a
    --- for keeping the Wang).
    The iSeries is not perfect, some years I do have "unplanned down time"
    - but its very rare. My Windows servers are better than they used to
    be, but they still have regular down time.

    This reminds me of an article I read may years ago, that predicted the
    AS400 would fail becuase it couldn't run DOS or Windows 3.1. We
    don't want to make the M$ guys look bad, do we ?

+ Reply to Thread