book on access and as/400 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on book on access and as/400 - IBM AS400 ; Anyone know of a good book to link microsoft access tables to as/400 files and/or vice-versa? Is there a way when a record goes into one file it's automatically updated in the other? Or if I have a time-clock and ...

  1. book on access and as/400

    Anyone know of a good book to link microsoft access tables to as/400
    files and/or vice-versa? Is there a way when a record goes into one
    file it's automatically updated in the other? Or if I have a
    time-clock and want to put transactions from it direct to an as/400
    database, is that possible with the iseries odbc driver?

    Trying to do some of this stuff is clear as mud. I think I've heard
    it kind of implied that you can link as/400 files to access very
    easily (even creating the access tables) to allow dynamic record
    selection using microsoft query on the access data base, but I have no
    idea where to start.

    I'd appreciate any recommendations of books or manuals...

    thanks,
    ga

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: book on access and as/400

    You need to install the free ODBC driver that is packaged with CA/400 ,
    then create an ODBC link table from within Access

    Not, you *WILL* have bad performance. Access is a *NOTORIOUSLY* badly
    behaved client. It only works well talking to Microsoft products (go
    figure)

    "ga" wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a good book to link microsoft access tables to as/400
    > files and/or vice-versa? Is there a way when a record goes into one
    > file it's automatically updated in the other? Or if I have a
    > time-clock and want to put transactions from it direct to an as/400
    > database, is that possible with the iseries odbc driver?
    >
    > Trying to do some of this stuff is clear as mud. I think I've heard
    > it kind of implied that you can link as/400 files to access very
    > easily (even creating the access tables) to allow dynamic record
    > selection using microsoft query on the access data base, but I have no
    > idea where to start.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any recommendations of books or manuals...
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >
    > ga
    > nospam@nospam.fmctc.com