No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional - IBM AS400 ; Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew anything about the machine have all left. There is no console and no HMC. All ...

  1. No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew anything
    about the machine have all left.

    There is no console and no HMC. All of the DST/SST profiles were
    disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    and change their own passwords.

    All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to console
    to use a cable require getting into DST. We're stuck.

    To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill for
    IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there (they're
    working to resolve that now.)

    Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST working?

  2. Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    On Apr 10, 3:16*am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    > another company. *The staff from the acquired company who knew anything
    > about the machine have all left.
    >
    > There is no console and no HMC. *All of the DST/SST profiles were
    > disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    > security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    > and change their own passwords.
    >
    > All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    > information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to console
    > to use a cable require getting into DST. *We're stuck.
    >
    > To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill for
    > IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there (they're
    > working to resolve that now.)
    >
    > Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST working?

    Do you have access to QSECOFR password via OS400?? Have you thought
    about doing a manual IPL into DST and trying it this way??

  3. Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    jacko wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 3:16 am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    >> another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew anything
    >> about the machine have all left.
    >>
    >> There is no console and no HMC. All of the DST/SST profiles were
    >> disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    >> security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    >> and change their own passwords.
    >>
    >> All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    >> information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to console
    >> to use a cable require getting into DST. We're stuck.
    >>
    >> To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill for
    >> IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there (they're
    >> working to resolve that now.)
    >>
    >> Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST working?

    > Do you have access to QSECOFR password via OS400??

    Yes.

    > Have you thought about doing a manual IPL into DST and trying it this way??

    Need a console to do DST!

    These folks are in a really nasty Catch-22: they need to be able to get
    into DST/SST as QSECOFR in order to be able to manipulate the console
    definition, but the QSECOFR DST/SST user ID is non-functional. In order
    to go into DST to reset the QSECOFR user ID, they need a console, which
    they don't have. Thus, my inquiry.

  4. Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    On Apr 10, 5:37*pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > jacko wrote:
    > > On Apr 10, 3:16 am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > >> Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    > >> another company. *The staff from the acquired company who knew anything
    > >> about the machine have all left.

    > >> There is no console and no HMC. *All of the DST/SST profiles were
    > >> disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    > >> security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    > >> and change their own passwords.

    > >> All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    > >> information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to console
    > >> to use a cable require getting into DST. *We're stuck.

    > >> To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill for
    > >> IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there (they're
    > >> working to resolve that now.)

    > >> Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST working?

    > > Do you have access to QSECOFR password via OS400??

    > Yes.
    >
    > > Have *you thought about doing a manual IPL into DST and trying it thisway??

    > Need a console to do DST!
    >
    > These folks are in a really nasty Catch-22: *they need to be able to get
    > into DST/SST as QSECOFR in order to be able to manipulate the console
    > definition, but the QSECOFR DST/SST user ID is non-functional. *In order
    > to go into DST to reset the QSECOFR user ID, they need a console, which
    > they don't have. *Thus, my inquiry.- Hide quoted text -

    Could you setup client access as the console using a twinax adapter??

  5. Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    jacko wrote:
    > On Apr 10, 5:37 pm, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> jacko wrote:
    >>> Do you have access to QSECOFR password via OS400??

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>> Have you thought about doing a manual IPL into DST and trying it this way??

    >> Need a console to do DST!
    >>
    >> These folks are in a really nasty Catch-22: they need to be able to get
    >> into DST/SST as QSECOFR in order to be able to manipulate the console
    >> definition, but the QSECOFR DST/SST user ID is non-functional. In order
    >> to go into DST to reset the QSECOFR user ID, they need a console, which
    >> they don't have. Thus, my inquiry.- Hide quoted text -

    > Could you setup client access as the console using a twinax adapter??

    We're looking into that, but I thought I saw something in the
    information center about having to change the console type in DST, which
    requires both an existing console and a DST/SST user ID, which...damn!

  6. Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    You can use a 65+21 sequence from the frontpanel to change the console
    type.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ctions6521.htm

    Jon

    On Apr 11, 8:54 am, Rudy Canoza wrote:
    > We're looking into that, but I thought I saw something in the
    > information center about having to change the console type in DST, which
    > requires both an existing console and a DST/SST user ID, which...damn!

  7. Followup Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    > another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew anything
    > about the machine have all left.
    >
    > There is no console and no HMC. All of the DST/SST profiles were
    > disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    > security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    > and change their own passwords.
    >
    > All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    > information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to console
    > to use a cable require getting into DST. We're stuck.
    >
    > To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill for
    > IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there (they're
    > working to resolve that now.)
    >
    > Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST working?

  8. Re: Followup Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    You should be able to use CHGDSTPWD from a 5250 session. then use STRSST
    to reset the rest of the profiles
    "Rudy Canoza" wrote in message
    news:Sr6dnY1MJ_k6RZnVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@earthlink.co m...
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    >
    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    >> another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew
    >> anything about the machine have all left.
    >>
    >> There is no console and no HMC. All of the DST/SST profiles were
    >> disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    >> security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    >> and change their own passwords.
    >>
    >> All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    >> information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to
    >> console to use a cable require getting into DST. We're stuck.
    >>
    >> To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill
    >> for IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there
    >> (they're working to resolve that now.)
    >>
    >> Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST
    >> working?

  9. Re: Followup Re: No console, and all DST/SST profiles non-functional

    Tim M wrote:
    > You should be able to use CHGDSTPWD from a 5250 session. then use STRSST
    > to reset the rest of the profiles

    Doesn't work. The passwords are reset, but attempting to sign on using
    one of the DST/SST user IDs fails, because the security setting
    prohibits any of the DST/SST users IDs from changing their own passwords.

    > Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >>> Client has a 520 at V5R3 that they came by as a result of acquiring
    >>> another company. The staff from the acquired company who knew
    >>> anything about the machine have all left.
    >>>
    >>> There is no console and no HMC. All of the DST/SST profiles were
    >>> disabled, and although we've re-enabled them with CHGDSTPWD, the
    >>> security setting is such that none of the DST/SST user IDs can get on
    >>> and change their own passwords.
    >>>
    >>> All of the options to get into DST require a console, and all the
    >>> information needed to set up a LAN Ops Console or to change to
    >>> console to use a cable require getting into DST. We're stuck.
    >>>
    >>> To make matters worse, in the confusion of the acquisition, the bill
    >>> for IBM support didn't get paid, so there's no help to be had there
    >>> (they're working to resolve that now.)
    >>>
    >>> Is there any possibility of getting either a console or DST/SST
    >>> working?

+ Reply to Thread