Configure email using ISP that requires username and password - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Configure email using ISP that requires username and password - IBM AS400 ; Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that requires a username and password?...

  1. Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that
    requires a username and password?

  2. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hi Scott -

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:36:29 -0500, Scott Coffey
    wrote:

    >Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that
    >requires a username and password?

    The last that I knew, that was not supported. The simplest thing is
    to spend a few hundred to put together a Linux system running postfix
    (or some other mail program, but postfix is pretty simple to
    configure). The iSeries can send the email to that system, which can
    forward it to the ISP.

    I know that postfix can do a user/password login for outgoing mail.
    And it can do so to any destination port that you want. It can also
    send to specified domains direct or via some other relay than your
    default one (which would be your ISP). Those other relays can have a
    different user/password for login. Other mail programs can do the
    same things. postfix just happens to be the one that I use.

    If the iSeries isn't creating the email, take it out of the loop
    completely. AFAIC, while the System i machines are great for a lot of
    things, handling mail, DNS, and such are not among them. A simple
    Linux system can handle those things better. (Or even a Linux
    partition on your iSeries if your machine can handle that.)

    --
    Ken

  3. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Feb 6, 11:05*pm, Ken Sims
    wrote:
    > Hi Scott -
    >
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:36:29 -0500, Scott Coffey
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that
    > >requires a username and password?

    > The last that I knew, that was not supported. *The simplest thing is
    > to spend a few hundred to put together a Linux system running postfix
    > (or some other mail program, but postfix is pretty simple to
    > configure). *The iSeries can send the email to that system, which can
    > forward it to the ISP.

    Another option is to dump the built in mail sevices (it's been a while
    since I've heard anyone talk about them but they used to suck) and use
    something like Domino or Communigate Pro to handle email. Both run
    natively.

    Matt

  4. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:05:47 -0800, Ken Sims
    wrote:

    >Hi Scott -
    >
    >On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:36:29 -0500, Scott Coffey
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that
    >>requires a username and password?

    >The last that I knew, that was not supported. The simplest thing is
    >to spend a few hundred to put together a Linux system running postfix
    >(or some other mail program, but postfix is pretty simple to
    >configure). The iSeries can send the email to that system, which can
    >forward it to the ISP.
    >
    >I know that postfix can do a user/password login for outgoing mail.
    >And it can do so to any destination port that you want. It can also
    >send to specified domains direct or via some other relay than your
    >default one (which would be your ISP). Those other relays can have a
    >different user/password for login. Other mail programs can do the
    >same things. postfix just happens to be the one that I use.
    >
    >If the iSeries isn't creating the email, take it out of the loop
    >completely. AFAIC, while the System i machines are great for a lot of
    >things, handling mail, DNS, and such are not among them. A simple
    >Linux system can handle those things better. (Or even a Linux
    >partition on your iSeries if your machine can handle that.)

    I was looking for something that I could set up on several client
    machines that would send me an e-mail alert based on some event, such
    as a drive failing. So, I was looking for a solution that wouldn't
    require additional hardware or additional cost.

  5. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hi Scott -

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:57:05 -0500, Scott Coffey
    wrote:

    >I was looking for something that I could set up on several client
    >machines that would send me an e-mail alert based on some event, such
    >as a drive failing. So, I was looking for a solution that wouldn't
    >require additional hardware or additional cost.

    I assume by "client machines" that you mean the iSeries systems. Are
    they all at one company? How is other email for that company sent
    (i.e. human users)?

    --
    Ken

  6. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 07:37:07 -0800, Ken Sims
    wrote:

    >Hi Scott -
    >
    >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:57:05 -0500, Scott Coffey
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I was looking for something that I could set up on several client
    >>machines that would send me an e-mail alert based on some event, such
    >>as a drive failing. So, I was looking for a solution that wouldn't
    >>require additional hardware or additional cost.

    >I assume by "client machines" that you mean the iSeries systems. Are
    >they all at one company? How is other email for that company sent
    >(i.e. human users)?

    Sorry, I should have given a bit more info. I'm a contract programmer
    and the "client machines" are different iSeries systems at different
    companies at various locations... some quite distant. There's
    virtually no commonality in terms of email service among the various
    companies, although most use (at some level) an ISP that requires
    authentication for email.

  7. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hi Scott -

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:48:07 -0500, Scott Coffey
    wrote:

    >Sorry, I should have given a bit more info. I'm a contract programmer
    >and the "client machines" are different iSeries systems at different
    >companies at various locations... some quite distant. There's
    >virtually no commonality in terms of email service among the various
    >companies, although most use (at some level) an ISP that requires
    >authentication for email.

    Any company of any size should have it's own internal mail server
    which could be configured to accept mail from the iSeries on the basis
    of its IP address without authentication. (Possibly a Linux-based
    system like I described previously, or even a Windoze system.)

    Any iSeries package which uses IBM's SMTP support for transport is
    limited to the IBM-provided authentication methods (i.e. none). A
    third-party SMTP program could have authentication support, and I'm
    pretty sure that there are some which do, but I doubt that any are
    free.

    Or you could roll your own. I wrote my own SMTP relay program in a
    matter of days (which including learning the TCP aspects), but I
    didn't build in any authentication because it relays to an internal
    mail server which doesn't require it.

    I wrote my own because of:
    1. The unreliability of IBM's MSF/SMTP support.
    2. To work in conjunction with my own email client which provides a
    lot more capabilities than SNDDST.

    --
    Ken

  8. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:57:34 -0800, Ken Sims
    wrote:

    >Any company of any size should have it's own internal mail server

    Heh. You need a reality check. I have a dozen clients and *one* has
    it's own mail server. Small companies with sales of less than 10
    million per year quite often get by with no in-house IT staff and use
    whatever email facilities are provided by their ISP.

  9. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hi Scott -

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:41:16 -0500, Scott Coffey
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:57:34 -0800, Ken Sims
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Any company of any size should have it's own internal mail server

    >Heh. You need a reality check. I have a dozen clients and *one* has
    >it's own mail server. Small companies with sales of less than 10
    >million per year quite often get by with no in-house IT staff and use
    >whatever email facilities are provided by their ISP.

    My reality check bounced.

    I'm not even a company, just an individual, but I have my own mail
    server. I'm home for lunch at the moment and it's about six feet away
    from me. I have dual broadband connections with round-robin DNS for a
    crude (but sufficient) form of load balancing and failover.

    --
    Ken

  10. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 13:49:34 -0800, Ken Sims
    wrote:

    >Hi Scott -
    >
    >On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:41:16 -0500, Scott Coffey
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 20:57:34 -0800, Ken Sims
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Any company of any size should have it's own internal mail server

    >>Heh. You need a reality check. I have a dozen clients and *one* has
    >>it's own mail server. Small companies with sales of less than 10
    >>million per year quite often get by with no in-house IT staff and use
    >>whatever email facilities are provided by their ISP.

    >My reality check bounced.
    >
    >I'm not even a company, just an individual, but I have my own mail
    >server. I'm home for lunch at the moment and it's about six feet away
    >from me. I have dual broadband connections with round-robin DNS for a
    >crude (but sufficient) form of load balancing and failover.

    The fact that you can set up your own email server is a moot point
    Ken. I can too, but I can't justify setting up an email server at a
    dozen locations (some requiring a 1,000 mile round trip) for the sole
    purpose of sending myself the rare email. Yes, it's for something
    important but I still can't justify it across the board and if I can't
    do it for all my clients then there's no point in doing it at all. And
    I came here for solutions, not to get into a pissing match with you
    about the value of in-house mail servers for small businesses.

    Let's try again... I want to be able to send an email to myself if
    one of my client's iSeries servers has a disk failure. Now that I
    know (I guess) that I can't set up the iSeries to use a bog-standard
    ISP's mail services, does anyone know of a mail service that would
    allow me to send an email to myself maybe once a day (just for a
    status report) from a dozen or so locations?

  11. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hi Scott -

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:27:24 -0500, Scott Coffey
    wrote:

    >The fact that you can set up your own email server is a moot point
    >Ken. I can too, but I can't justify setting up an email server at a
    >dozen locations (some requiring a 1,000 mile round trip) for the sole
    >purpose of sending myself the rare email. Yes, it's for something
    >important but I still can't justify it across the board and if I can't
    >do it for all my clients then there's no point in doing it at all. And
    >I came here for solutions, not to get into a pissing match with you
    >about the value of in-house mail servers for small businesses.

    Okay, how about this for one last suggestion.

    If an iSeries system did have smtp authentication capability, and did
    not have an in-house server to route through, but was connecting
    directly to some ISP's email server, then it obviously has to have
    outbound internet connectivity. (If it doesn't have outbound internet
    connectivity, and there is no in-house relay server, then it's
    irrelevant whether it can do smpt authentication or not.)

    If you can set up a mail server, set up just one mail server at your
    location and let all of these iSeries systems connect directly to it
    to send you the mail.

    To reduce potential for spam, you can restrict mail delivery to the
    external IP addresses of these systems, so there's no need for smtp
    authentication.

    Basically you become your own mail service, so you have full control
    over it.

    --
    Ken

  12. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:00:28 -0800, Ken Sims
    wrote:

    >Hi Scott -
    >
    >On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:27:24 -0500, Scott Coffey
    >wrote:
    >
    >>The fact that you can set up your own email server is a moot point
    >>Ken. I can too, but I can't justify setting up an email server at a
    >>dozen locations (some requiring a 1,000 mile round trip) for the sole
    >>purpose of sending myself the rare email. Yes, it's for something
    >>important but I still can't justify it across the board and if I can't
    >>do it for all my clients then there's no point in doing it at all. And
    >>I came here for solutions, not to get into a pissing match with you
    >>about the value of in-house mail servers for small businesses.

    >Okay, how about this for one last suggestion.
    >
    >If an iSeries system did have smtp authentication capability, and did
    >not have an in-house server to route through, but was connecting
    >directly to some ISP's email server, then it obviously has to have
    >outbound internet connectivity. (If it doesn't have outbound internet
    >connectivity, and there is no in-house relay server, then it's
    >irrelevant whether it can do smpt authentication or not.)
    >
    >If you can set up a mail server, set up just one mail server at your
    >location and let all of these iSeries systems connect directly to it
    >to send you the mail.
    >
    >To reduce potential for spam, you can restrict mail delivery to the
    >external IP addresses of these systems, so there's no need for smtp
    >authentication.
    >
    >Basically you become your own mail service, so you have full control
    >over it.

    Better suggestion, but more work than I'm willing to put into it.

    Plus, I don't think running a mail server (even with IP restrictions)
    from my home office is allowed under Bellsouth's (now AT&T's) TOS.

    And please don't suggest I change my ISP.

    My question's answered though, so at this point I'm just looking for a
    relay service. Thanks for your help though.

  13. Re: Configure email using ISP that requires username and password

    Hello Scott,

    Not sure if you resolved your problem, but if you're open to commercial
    options our SMTP/400 Email API can probably help.

    We have a native SMTP client that can talk to secure and non-secure SMTP
    servers.

    Another alternative would be to write a Java program that uses the Java Mail
    API.

    For more info or a FREE demo, check out our web site.

    Regards,
    Richard Schoen
    RJS Software Systems Inc.
    "Get the information you need. Now!"
    Email: richard@rjssoftware.com
    Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
    Tel: (952) 898-3038
    Fax: (952) 898-1781
    Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

    "Scott Coffey" wrote in message
    > Can the iSeries be configured to send email through an ISP that
    > requires a username and password?

+ Reply to Thread