Info print server - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Info print server - IBM AS400 ; does anyone have the basics needed to use info printserver to send spool files to the IFS as pdf's and then later, go to the IFS and grab any of those pdf's and send them out to any network attached ...

  1. Info print server

    does anyone have the basics needed to use info printserver to send
    spool files to the IFS as pdf's and then later, go to the IFS and grab
    any of those pdf's and send them out to any network attached AS400
    printer/outq (ours are all some form of HP laser printer configured as
    3812's w/ip connect)? Thanks.

  2. Re: Info print server

    Dave wrote:

    >does anyone have the basics needed to use info printserver to send
    >spool files to the IFS as pdf's and then later, go to the IFS and grab
    >any of those pdf's and send them out to any network attached AS400
    >printer/outq (ours are all some form of HP laser printer configured as
    >3812's w/ip connect)? Thanks.

    Dave,

    I have spent quite a bit of time on this in the last 30 days. You can
    do a lot of things simple, or you can customize it a lot to the way
    YOU want it. For instance, you generally have to creat a psfcfg
    object, and then a device description. On the psfcfg object you can
    either specify a folder it will dump the pdf's to, or you can write a
    "mapping program" and put them out exactly how you want.

    The default by IBM is to put them into a folder specified on the
    psfcfg object; they then create the PDF underneath that in a folder by
    job name (i.e. worstation id) and then user.

    I wanted to be able to put all of our day end reports to pdf's instead
    of printing. So I created a mapping program, and now all my day end
    reports go into a folder on the ifs called "dayend" and they are named
    in a unique naming convention which I came up with that includes the
    date/time/spool file id/spool file #/and user data, if any, etc.

    It works slick but I about drove myself crazy developing the mapping
    program. Although there is an example in the users guide, it's not
    very clear.

    I can get the pdf's to the IFS with no problem, but after that, I am
    just letting authorized users have access to certain folders and then
    they can print the pdfs or do what they need to with them. I'm not
    doing anything via the as/400 at that point. Windows explorer works
    fine in finding the files, and you can map network drives to the
    folders you create on the as/400.

    I'm not sure exactly what you are after. I feel I've learned a lot
    with this over the past month. I know there are some great 3rd party
    products but we already had infpoprint server which is why I went with
    it. Once the pdf is created, you can print it just like on about any
    pc printer you would want, it just opens with adobe reader.

    It converts spool files to pdfs almost instantaneously. For instance,
    my month end statements convert to pdf in about 5 seconds - 4000 pages
    worth. My day end printouts - about 100 spool files, and maybe 250
    pages create all the pdf's in about 2 seconds or less.

    I went the mapping program route because I wanted to control where
    these pdf's went. I actually create a new directory via the mapping
    program every day, under dayend, the subdirectory is namee CCYYMMDD,
    and then the file names are as a I said, a composite of spool file
    name, id, user data, etc, so it makes it UNIQUE. Job # and user too.

    If you need some more information or can be more specific with what
    you want, I can try to point you in the right direction. There are
    examples in the manual on how to create the psfcfg object and the
    device description. It is SO SLICK. If I spool something to print
    PRINT01, and decided I want it as a PDF, I can just do a wrksplf on it
    and change it to my PRINTPDF and "boom" it automatically creates the
    PDF in the folder I specified in my mapping program (or psfcfg
    object). Can't get any easier than that!!!

    I can give you some examples of creating the psfcfg and the device
    description and I'd even be willing to share my mappng program, but
    probably would be better off doing through email instead of here.

    If you want, post your email, maybe put something in there with the
    word spam or something that can be removed, and I can email you some
    stuff.

    ga

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  3. Re: Info print server

    Hi ga,

    I have implemented infoprint server in my iSeries and I am working on mapping object for naming the pdf files now. As you said the manual for mapping object is too simple, I can't get what I want. Do you know does it acceptable to use parameter in the mapping object?

    Thanks,

    Andy

  4. Re: Info print server

    Hi Folks, I was just told to configure infoprint and get it up and running. Our intention is to send reports via email to users who can then open the email get their report...without clicking on an attachment.

    Is that possible? Does anyone know how to best config it and does anyone have any code/pgm examples?

    Any manuals that I can use?

    Thanks, Frank
    fbocch2595@aol.com

+ Reply to Thread