Add hard drives to existing pool? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Add hard drives to existing pool? - IBM AS400 ; Hello, We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326 drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone ...

  1. Add hard drives to existing pool?

    Hello,

    We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in the
    right direction?

    Using V5R4M0.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 23, 12:01*pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in the
    > right direction?
    >
    > Using V5R4M0.
    >
    > Thanks!

    strsst
    3. Work with disk units
    1. Display disk configuration

    1. Display disk configuration status
    2. Display disk configuration capacity
    3. Display disk configuration protection
    4. Display non-configured units
    5. Display device parity status
    6. Display disk hardware status
    7. Display disk compression status

    get out of there, and then option number 2

    2. Add units to ASPs
    it will figure out some stuff for you.

    you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    customer number and so on and get it.

    Ron

    That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day

    LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

  3. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    OK, I'm about to push the disks in - here goes nothing!

    wrote in message
    On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > the
    > right direction?
    >
    > Using V5R4M0.
    >
    > Thanks!

    strsst
    3. Work with disk units
    1. Display disk configuration

    1. Display disk configuration status
    2. Display disk configuration capacity
    3. Display disk configuration protection
    4. Display non-configured units
    5. Display device parity status
    6. Display disk hardware status
    7. Display disk compression status

    get out of there, and then option number 2

    2. Add units to ASPs
    it will figure out some stuff for you.

    you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    customer number and so on and get it.

    Ron

    That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day

    LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

  4. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    This disks are in but I sure would feel better if there was some diagnostics
    I could do before I had them to my RAID Five ASP. If just two of these disks
    fail I'm screwed, right?

    wrote in message
    On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > the
    > right direction?
    >
    > Using V5R4M0.
    >
    > Thanks!

    strsst
    3. Work with disk units
    1. Display disk configuration

    1. Display disk configuration status
    2. Display disk configuration capacity
    3. Display disk configuration protection
    4. Display non-configured units
    5. Display device parity status
    6. Display disk hardware status
    7. Display disk compression status

    get out of there, and then option number 2

    2. Add units to ASPs
    it will figure out some stuff for you.

    you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    customer number and so on and get it.

    Ron

    That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day

    LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

  5. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 23, 12:48*pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > This disks are in but I sure would feel better if there was some diagnostics
    > I could do before I had them to my RAID Five ASP. If just two of these disks
    > fail I'm screwed, right?
    >
    > wrote in message

    > On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > > the
    > > right direction?

    > > Using V5R4M0.

    > > Thanks!

    > strsst
    > 3. Work with disk units
    > 1. Display disk configuration
    >
    > 1. Display disk configuration status
    > 2. Display disk configuration capacity
    > 3. Display disk configuration protection
    > 4. Display non-configured units
    > 5. Display device parity status
    > 6. Display disk hardware status
    > 7. Display disk compression status
    >
    > get out of there, and then option number 2
    >
    > *2. Add units to ASPs
    > it will figure out some stuff for you.
    >
    > you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    > as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    > customer number and so on and get it.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day
    >
    > LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

    Well do that option 4 and insure that they show unconfigured, that
    will insure they are set properly into the slot

    then the configuration option is auto (hell even brand new CEs did it
    in the days of yore)

    of course, it fails and you just pull them out and reboot.

    not going to fry it forever.

    Thus my adjurement to have a couple quick stiff Jamesons.

    You are gonna be alright, don't worry, be happy.

    Ron

  6. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    I added one disk to the ASP and it's showing up OK. I started with eight
    4326 drives of 35GB capacity and just added one more.

    Possible problem though: I look at WRKDSKSTS and it is showing read/and
    write activity however the percent used is staying at ".0" and in Service
    Tools the disk configuration status is showing configured but not
    RAID-5/Active" like the existing eight 35GB 4326 drives.
    I'm also wondering if I should have used "Add units to ASPs and balance
    data" and not "Add units to the ASP".

    thanks for your help.
    -Bob

    wrote in message
    On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > the
    > right direction?
    >
    > Using V5R4M0.
    >
    > Thanks!

    strsst
    3. Work with disk units
    1. Display disk configuration

    1. Display disk configuration status
    2. Display disk configuration capacity
    3. Display disk configuration protection
    4. Display non-configured units
    5. Display device parity status
    6. Display disk hardware status
    7. Display disk compression status

    get out of there, and then option number 2

    2. Add units to ASPs
    it will figure out some stuff for you.

    you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    customer number and so on and get it.

    Ron

    That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day

    LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

  7. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 23, 1:15*pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > I added one disk to the ASP and it's showing up OK. I started with eight
    > 4326 drives of 35GB capacity and just added one more.
    >
    > Possible problem though: I look at WRKDSKSTS and it is showing read/and
    > write activity however the percent used is staying at ".0" and in Service
    > Tools the disk configuration status is showing configured but not
    > RAID-5/Active" like the existing eight 35GB 4326 drives.
    > I'm also wondering if I should have used "Add units to ASPs and balance
    > data" and not "Add units to the ASP".
    >
    > thanks for your help.
    > -Bob
    >
    > wrote in message

    > On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > > the
    > > right direction?

    > > Using V5R4M0.

    > > Thanks!

    > strsst
    > 3. Work with disk units
    > 1. Display disk configuration
    >
    > 1. Display disk configuration status
    > 2. Display disk configuration capacity
    > 3. Display disk configuration protection
    > 4. Display non-configured units
    > 5. Display device parity status
    > 6. Display disk hardware status
    > 7. Display disk compression status
    >
    > get out of there, and then option number 2
    >
    > *2. Add units to ASPs
    > it will figure out some stuff for you.
    >
    > you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    > as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    > customer number and so on and get it.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day
    >
    > LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

    you can do a straspbal some long weekend or overnight, unless you are
    writing millions of records a second it is going to take some time for
    it to get off the zero percent point.

    You are doing fine, MrIBM

  8. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 23, 1:35*pm, qgenes...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 1:15*pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    >

    > > I added one disk to the ASP and it's showing up OK. I started with eight
    > > 4326 drives of 35GB capacity and just added one more.

    > > Possible problem though: I look at WRKDSKSTS and it is showing read/and
    > > write activity however the percent used is staying at ".0" and in Service
    > > Tools the disk configuration status is showing configured but not
    > > RAID-5/Active" like the existing eight 35GB 4326 drives.
    > > I'm also wondering if I should have used "Add units to ASPs and balance
    > > data" and not "Add units to the ASP".

    > > thanks for your help.
    > > -Bob

    > > wrote in message

    > > On Jan 23, 12:01 pm, "Bob Mgr" wrote:

    > > > Hello,

    > > > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > > > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > > > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in
    > > > the
    > > > right direction?

    > > > Using V5R4M0.

    > > > Thanks!

    > > strsst
    > > 3. Work with disk units
    > > 1. Display disk configuration

    > > 1. Display disk configuration status
    > > 2. Display disk configuration capacity
    > > 3. Display disk configuration protection
    > > 4. Display non-configured units
    > > 5. Display device parity status
    > > 6. Display disk hardware status
    > > 7. Display disk compression status

    > > get out of there, and then option number 2

    > > *2. Add units to ASPs
    > > it will figure out some stuff for you.

    > > you will need to know the sst user and password (which is not the same
    > > as qsecofr usually) so either someone has it, or you call ibm with
    > > customer number and so on and get it.

    > > Ron

    > > That should be enough info to casters up your system for the day

    > > LOL, Drink a couple Jameson thru the ice, you will be ok.

    > you can do a straspbal some long weekend or overnight, unless you are
    > writing millions of records a second it is going to take some time for
    > it to get off the zero percent point.
    >
    > You are doing fine, MrIBM- Hide quoted text -

    once they are installed and settled down you can do device partity.

    1. Display disk configuration
    2. Add units to ASPs
    3. Work with ASP threshold
    4. Include unit in device parity protection
    5. Enable remote load source mirroring
    6. Disable remote load source mirroring
    7. Start compression on non-configured units
    8. Add units to ASPs and balance data
    9. Start device parity protection - RAID 5
    10. Start device parity protection - RAID 6

  9. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 24, 8:15 am, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    > I added one disk to the ASP and it's showing up OK. I started with eight
    > 4326 drives of 35GB capacity and just added one more.
    >
    > Possible problem though: I look at WRKDSKSTS and it is showing read/and
    > write activity however the percent used is staying at ".0" and in Service
    > Tools the disk configuration status is showing configured but not
    > RAID-5/Active" like the existing eight 35GB 4326 drives.
    > I'm also wondering if I should have used "Add units to ASPs and balance
    > data" and not "Add units to the ASP".
    >
    > thanks for your help.
    > -Bob
    >
    > wrote in message

    It's been a while since I've added disks but from memory, I'd add the
    disk(s) to a RAID set then add them to an ASP and use the Add units to
    ASP and balance data option (I'd normally do this sort of thing out of
    hours). Balancing data will increase disk activity which may impact
    performance - depends on how active your machines are as to when you
    would choose to do this however, you should add it to the RAID set
    first. You do this from within the work with disk configuration
    screen of SST again (incidentally, the 22222222 user ID is sufficient
    for all this sort of work):

    STRSST
    Option 3 - Work with disk units
    Option 2 - Work with disk configuration
    Option 9 from here is to add them to RAID 5.

    Once it's been added to a RAID set, exit back to the command line
    where you can issue the STRASPBAL command to balance the data.

  10. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    On Jan 23, 1:49*pm, jse...@yahoo.co.nz wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 8:15 am, "Bob Mgr" wrote:
    >
    > > I added one disk to the ASP and it's showing up OK. I started with eight
    > > 4326 drives of 35GB capacity and just added one more.

    > > Possible problem though: I look at WRKDSKSTS and it is showing read/and
    > > write activity however the percent used is staying at ".0" and in Service
    > > Tools the disk configuration status is showing configured but not
    > > RAID-5/Active" like the existing eight 35GB 4326 drives.
    > > I'm also wondering if I should have used "Add units to ASPs and balance
    > > data" and not "Add units to the ASP".

    > > thanks for your help.
    > > -Bob

    > > wrote in message

    > It's been a while since I've added disks but from memory, I'd add the
    > disk(s) to a RAID set then add them to an ASP and use the Add units to
    > ASP and balance data option (I'd normally do this sort of thing out of
    > hours). *Balancing data will increase disk activity which may impact
    > performance - depends on how active your machines are as to when you
    > would choose to do this however, you should add it to the RAID set
    > first. *You do this from within the work with disk configuration
    > screen of SST again (incidentally, the 22222222 user ID is sufficient
    > for all this sort of work):
    >
    > STRSST
    > Option 3 - Work with disk units
    > Option 2 - Work with disk configuration
    > Option 9 from here is to add them to RAID 5.
    >
    > Once it's been added to a RAID set, exit back to the command line
    > where you can issue the STRASPBAL command to balance the data.

    Yes, this is correct. Thanks for saying it. I wasn't very clear was
    I.

    Ron

  11. Re: Add hard drives to existing pool?

    I think I would start with the instructions:

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...y/rzalyadd.htm

    Bob Mgr wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We've got a model 810 with four empty slots on our controller for 4326
    > drives. I understand I can just slide the drives in. But they will not
    > increase my disk space until I do some commands. Can someone point me in the
    > right direction?
    >
    > Using V5R4M0.
    >
    > Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread