DDS display transparent field - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on DDS display transparent field - IBM AS400 ; Hi, Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ? Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream ! If no, what is the way to produce such a field ? ...

  1. DDS display transparent field

    Hi,

    Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream !

    If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?

    If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is a
    hidden/undocumented way to create it)

    Regards,
    Sergey

  2. Re: DDS display transparent field

    You are probably not going to like this answer, but this is the only
    way I know to do it.

    This is for when using the IBM brand 5250 emulator for Windows with
    Client Access or what ever they are calling it this week.

    Actual Menu functions and so on will vary depending which version of
    CA you are using. I am using CA V5R3 so the Emulator Help About says
    Personal Communications 5.7 (which makes no sense to me).

    Go into Edit, Preferences, Keyboard and then select Customize.
    Click on a key in the keyboard display, for example X, then in the
    bottom left under Function: find and select 'Hex Mode"

    Now on the right side, click the -> button next to Alt. This will
    assign the hex mode function to Alt-x.

    If you don't like my choice of alt-x you can assign the hex mode
    function to any ctl/alt/shift key combination you want.

    Now decide if you want to update the defalut keyboard map or create
    yourself a custom named one.

    Now do a file save or as save as and name it. Now exit back to the
    emulator screen.

    Remeber if you did a save AS you will have to associate that keyboard
    file with this workstation session. Yuck.

    Now when using the emulator you can press alt-x and apparently nothing
    happens. However the next TWO keystokes should be a hex value GREATER
    than x39. Values less that x40 are reserved for screen attributes and
    are not allowed

    The alt-x enables the entry of only one hex value at a time.

    It ain't pretty, but it works.

    Denny

    On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:10:45 -0500, "Sergey Kashyrin"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    >Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream !
    >
    >If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?
    >
    >If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is a
    >hidden/undocumented way to create it)
    >
    >Regards,
    >Sergey

  3. Re: DDS display transparent field

    Do you mean create a field in a display file? For example like the
    Password field on the signon display? DSPPFM QGPL/QDDSSRC QDSIGNON and
    review the PASSWRD field for its DSPATR(ND) -- Display Attribute setting
    of Non-Display; from the help "Indicates that data in the field should
    not be displayed."

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Sergey Kashyrin wrote:
    > Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    > Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream !
    >
    > If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?
    >
    > If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is a
    > hidden/undocumented way to create it)

  4. Re: DDS display transparent field

    It's not about client. It's about TD order from server

    "Denny" wrote in message
    > You are probably not going to like this answer, but this is the only
    > way I know to do it.
    >
    > This is for when using the IBM brand 5250 emulator for Windows with
    > Client Access or what ever they are calling it this week.
    >
    > Actual Menu functions and so on will vary depending which version of
    > CA you are using. I am using CA V5R3 so the Emulator Help About says
    > Personal Communications 5.7 (which makes no sense to me).
    >
    > Go into Edit, Preferences, Keyboard and then select Customize.
    > Click on a key in the keyboard display, for example X, then in the
    > bottom left under Function: find and select 'Hex Mode"
    >
    > Now on the right side, click the -> button next to Alt. This will
    > assign the hex mode function to Alt-x.
    >
    > If you don't like my choice of alt-x you can assign the hex mode
    > function to any ctl/alt/shift key combination you want.
    >
    > Now decide if you want to update the defalut keyboard map or create
    > yourself a custom named one.
    >
    > Now do a file save or as save as and name it. Now exit back to the
    > emulator screen.
    >
    > Remeber if you did a save AS you will have to associate that keyboard
    > file with this workstation session. Yuck.
    >
    > Now when using the emulator you can press alt-x and apparently nothing
    > happens. However the next TWO keystokes should be a hex value GREATER
    > than x39. Values less that x40 are reserved for screen attributes and
    > are not allowed
    >
    > The alt-x enables the entry of only one hex value at a time.
    >
    > It ain't pretty, but it works.
    >
    > Denny
    >

    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:10:45 -0500, "Sergey Kashyrin"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    >>Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream !
    >>
    >>If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?
    >>
    >>If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is a
    >>hidden/undocumented way to create it)
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Sergey

  5. Re: DDS display transparent field

    Hi Chuck,

    Yes, I mean to create a field in display file for which TD order will be
    produced.
    My understanding now that it is not possible.

    And even I can create such a field from C++ using DSM (Dynamic Screen
    Manager API) when I'm trying to send TD order I'm getting CPFA306 (device is
    not capable) and there is no documentation what should be in Query Reply to
    indicate that device is capable...

    Regards,
    Sergey

    "CRPence" wrote in message
    > Do you mean create a field in a display file? For example like the
    > Password field on the signon display? DSPPFM QGPL/QDDSSRC QDSIGNON and
    > review the PASSWRD field for its DSPATR(ND) -- Display Attribute setting
    > of Non-Display; from the help "Indicates that data in the field should not
    > be displayed."
    >
    > Regards, Chuck
    > --
    > All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever
    > and may not represent positions, strategies, nor views of my employer
    >
    > Sergey Kashyrin wrote:
    >> Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    >> Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream !
    >>
    >> If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?
    >>
    >> If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is a
    >> hidden/undocumented way to create it)

  6. Re: DDS display transparent field

    I wrote

    > and there is no documentation what should be in Query Reply to indicate
    > that device is capable...

    Found it. Never mind.
    It's bad that we can't just define the field as transparent.

    "Sergey Kashyrin" wrote in message
    > Hi Chuck,
    >
    > Yes, I mean to create a field in display file for which TD order will be
    > produced.
    > My understanding now that it is not possible.
    >
    > And even I can create such a field from C++ using DSM (Dynamic Screen
    > Manager API) when I'm trying to send TD order I'm getting CPFA306 (device
    > is not capable) and there is no documentation what should be in Query
    > Reply to indicate that device is capable...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sergey
    >
    > "CRPence" wrote in message
    >> Do you mean create a field in a display file? For example like the
    >> Password field on the signon display? DSPPFM QGPL/QDDSSRC QDSIGNON and
    >> review the PASSWRD field for its DSPATR(ND) -- Display Attribute setting
    >> of Non-Display; from the help "Indicates that data in the field should
    >> not be displayed."
    >>
    >> Regards, Chuck
    >> --
    >> All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind whatsoever
    >> and may not represent positions, strategies, nor views of my employer
    >>
    >> Sergey Kashyrin wrote:
    >>> Is it possible at all to define "Transparency entry field" for display ?
    >>> Yes, I mean the field which will produce FCW X'84xx' in 5250 datastream
    >>> !
    >>>
    >>> If no, what is the way to produce such a field ?
    >>>
    >>> If there are no ways, why 5250 defines it ? (I'm assuming that there is
    >>> a hidden/undocumented way to create it)

+ Reply to Thread