iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade - IBM AS400 ; If this is not the correct I apologize up front. Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken. We are planning on ...

  1. iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    If this is not the correct I apologize up front.

    Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.

    We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.

    Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    "Krazik" schreef in bericht
    > If this is not the correct I apologize up front.
    >
    > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.
    >
    > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    > of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    > we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    > and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.
    >
    > Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

    In the "Backup and Recovery Guide" (SC41-5304-08) there's a detailed
    procedure describing exactly what you intend to do. It's in
    chapter 14 "Restoring previous release user data to a new server:
    Step-by-step instructions".
    You can download the book from the system i Information Centre.

    Regards,

    Rene

  3. Re: iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    Upgrade your OS first then your hardware upgrade can be done in place
    without having to restore your data

    "Krazik" wrote in message
    > If this is not the correct I apologize up front.
    >
    > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.
    >
    > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    > of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    > we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    > and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.
    >
    > Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

  4. Re: iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    Also, make sure your Source Disk is 17.4gb or else you will not be able
    to install V5R4. Check your Source Disk Requirements.

    Gil

    Krazik wrote:
    > If this is not the correct I apologize up front.
    >
    > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.
    >
    > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    > of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    > we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    > and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.
    >
    > Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

  5. Re: iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    On 1月23日, 上午3時34分, Gil wrote:
    > Also, make sure your Source Disk is 17.4gb or else you will not be able
    > to install V5R4. Check your Source Disk Requirements.
    >
    > Gil
    >

    > Krazik wrote:
    > > If this is not the correct I apologize up front.

    > > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    > > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.

    > > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    > > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    > > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    > > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    > > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    > > of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    > > we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    > > and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.

    > > Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.- 隱藏被引用文字 -

    > - 顯示被引用文字 -

    Be ware
    The mininium OS Level Support on 550 is V5R3.
    You may not able to restore your V5R2 into your new server

  6. Re: iSeries OS Hardware/OS Upgrade

    Krazik wrote:
    > If this is not the correct I apologize up front.
    >
    > Our company is doing a Hardware/OS Upgrade on our AS400 this weekend
    > and I wanted to get a feel on the approach that is being taken.
    >
    > We are planning on going from an 810 with v5r2 on it to a 550 with
    > v5r4, we are moving existing cards in the 810 to the 550 as well as
    > the 5074 Tower and then restoring from a SAVE21 on the 810 to teh 550.
    > Is this feasible or would there be a better approach. We are unable to
    > upgrade the exisintg 810 to v5r4 first due to the disk configuration
    > of the system which is not supported by v5r4 for the load source. So
    > we are moving hardware from teh 810 to the 550 installing v5r4 base os
    > and then running a restore from a SAVE21 of the 810.
    >
    > Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

    You should be able to do this without much of an issue. I did one late
    last year to go from a 170 at V5R2 to a i515 at V5R4.

    One thing you should do before the GO SAVE 21 is a RCLSTG. If you have
    any damaged objects on the 810 it will be a bear to correct. Add a few
    hours to do this.