spool file to pc - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on spool file to pc - IBM AS400 ; I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy it to a pc to transmit to a company that is going to print them for us (not using an AS/400 so file will most likely need ...

  1. spool file to pc

    I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy it
    to a pc to transmit to a company that is going to print them for us
    (not using an AS/400 so file will most likely need to be a simple text
    file).

    I know I can grab a spool file using ops nav and drag it to the
    desktop of the pc and it will automagically convert it to a txt
    file....but am wondering if that is very fast or if there is a better
    way to do it?

    Any thoughts/suggestions?
    thanks, ga
    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: spool file to pc

    ga wrote in

    > I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy it
    > to a pc to transmit to a company that is going to print them for us
    > (not using an AS/400 so file will most likely need to be a simple text
    > file).
    >
    > I know I can grab a spool file using ops nav and drag it to the
    > desktop of the pc and it will automagically convert it to a txt
    > file....but am wondering if that is very fast or if there is a better
    > way to do it?
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions?
    > thanks, ga
    > ga
    > nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

    using ops nav in 30 seconds a 5500 page spooled file to my PC
    system i 600 CPW, 6*70 GB, 3 GB, no users active, 100 Mb.

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  3. Re: spool file to pc

    How will the spool data be /transmit/ from the PC? If the concern is
    for speed, making multiple copies and/or conversions, by copying first
    to a PC, seems daft. That is, the first rule for speed is to eliminate
    making copies. Why not just transmit directly by LPR where the printer
    is available with LPD? SNDTCPSPLF or CRTOUTQ RMTSYS() RMTPRTQ() both
    effect LPR transmission. If the data must go via the PC, then an LPD
    feature on the PC may enable writing each spool file received to a new file.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    ga wrote:
    > I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy
    > it to a pc to transmit to a company that is going to print them for
    > us (not using an AS/400 so file will most likely need to be a simple
    > text file).
    >
    > I know I can grab a spool file using ops nav and drag it to the
    > desktop of the pc and it will automagically convert it to a txt
    > file. But am wondering if that is very fast or if there is a
    > better way to do it?
    >
    > Any thoughts/suggestions?

  4. Re: spool file to pc

    FWiW: One /page/ of a spool file might be as small as ~4bytes; I
    created a 32K page splf with just 64.8KB size. The actual size of the
    spool file should be used to describe copying speed, not number of
    pages. Also it is most likely both the network speed and disk speeds
    are more important than the given System i attributes for a relative
    comparison.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Ad wrote:
    > ga wrote:
    >
    >> I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy it
    >> to a pc to transmit to a company that is going to print them for us
    >> (not using an AS/400 so file will most likely need to be a simple text
    >> file).
    >>
    >> I know I can grab a spool file using ops nav and drag it to the
    >> desktop of the pc and it will automagically convert it to a txt
    >> file....but am wondering if that is very fast or if there is a better
    >> way to do it?
    >>
    >> Any thoughts/suggestions?

    > using ops nav in 30 seconds a 5500 page spooled file to my PC
    > system i 600 CPW, 6*70 GB, 3 GB, no users active, 100 Mb.

  5. Re: spool file to pc

    If you're looking for a "command line" or programmed based solution then
    my SPLTOOL utility located at www.bvstools.com/spltool.html would work.

    It has a built in option to send the spooled file via FTP after it is
    converted (which can be Text, PDF, HTML or RTF)

    Feel free to download a trial and try it out.. contact me with any
    questions. I'm happy to help.

  6. Re: spool file to pc

    On Jan 3, 12:11 pm, ga wrote:
    > I need to take a spool file (statements, about 4000 pages) and copy it
    > to a pc

    I'd use LPD. Print it to the windows PC. Use software like Brooks RPM
    Remote Print Manager (http://lpd.brooksnet.com). It will do the SCS to
    ascii conversion for you.

    If its an AFP or SCS document try their ExcelliPrint product (http://
    ipds.brooksnet.com). This gives you the added benefit of being able to
    print to PDF. Something which your guaranteed they will be able to
    handle and you won't lose any barcodes or graphics that may be in the
    document.

+ Reply to Thread