How is this phenomenum to explain? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How is this phenomenum to explain? - IBM AS400 ; Hello. I had search a whole day to find which is the problem. If the system-outqeue PRT01 ist RLS and the associated printer (PRT01) is powered off , if a user prints through a application the spoolfile disappears or is ...

  1. How is this phenomenum to explain?

    Hello.

    I had search a whole day to find which is the problem.

    If the system-outqeue PRT01 ist RLS and the associated printer (PRT01)
    is powered off , if a user prints through a application the spoolfile
    disappears or is not created !!.

    PRT01 is a remote printer over direct- TCP/IP.

    If the outqeue PRT01 is HLD the spoolfile is there.

    Which is here the problem.

    release are V4R5.

    thanks.

  2. Re: How is this phenomenum to explain?

    On Jan 3, 2:45*am, marsias wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I had search a whole day to find which is the problem.
    >
    > If the system-outqeue PRT01 ist RLS and the associated printer (PRT01)
    > is powered off , if a user *prints through a application the spoolfile
    > disappears or is not created !!.
    >
    > PRT01 is a remote printer over direct- TCP/IP.
    >
    > If the outqeue PRT01 is HLD the spoolfile is there.
    >
    > Which is here the problem.
    >
    > release are V4R5.
    >
    > thanks.

    Could be buffering up the print maybe and the system is then handing
    off the print to the IP printer. I would probably not make PRT01 a IP
    based printer since PRT01 is probably defined in your system values as
    default printer etc. With the printer on hold it is essentially not
    able to route the spool??

  3. Re: How is this phenomenum to explain?

    If the printer device description (*DEVD) is defined as TCP/IP
    attached, then it is a virtual device.? In that case, there is no
    physically attached device to be powered off -- not from the perspective
    of your AS/400 anyway. The device to which the data [in packets] is
    sent [over TCP/IP] could be powered off, and that device would then
    presumably be incapable of receiving any TCP/IP packets.

    When the output queue (*OUTQ) is /held/, the spool file will be
    created, but no attempt would be made to establish a connection with the
    printer; same as a local printer with an active writer. As such, nor
    would any packets be sent over the TCP/IP. Similarly, if the spool file
    was created in /held/ status, the spool file will remain in the queue.
    When both the output queue and the spool file are /released/ [status
    RLS] then the spool file data will be sent as packets to the printer
    device over the TCP/IP network. The SCHEDULE() parameter determines
    when packets will start being sent to the printer; i.e. when the
    connection is opened, and the spool data transmitted to the printer. It
    is possible that on that old release and/or the specific type of
    connection, the AS/400 does not or can not know if the spool file was
    successfully printed, such that the packets are simply lost.?

    Specifying SAVE(*YES) [on the printer file or in an OVRPRTF request]
    should keep a copy of the spool file in the output queue. That is, even
    if the spool file /disappears/ due to the printer never receiving and
    printing [even if, or more likely because, the AS/400 thinks the spool
    file data was sent], a copy of the spool file should remain in SAV
    status. If the actual printed output does not become available at the
    printer because it was not powered on, another attempt to print can be
    made by releasing the spool file again after the printer is powered on.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    marsias wrote:
    > If the system *OUTQ PRT01 has status RLS and
    > the associated printer device (PRT01) is powered off,
    > if a user prints through a application, the spoolfile
    > disappears or is not created !!.
    >
    > PRT01 is a remote printer over direct- TCP/IP.
    >
    > If the output queue PRT01 is HLD the spoolfile is there.
    >
    > Which is here the problem. release are V4R5.

+ Reply to Thread