QDLS/DLOs authority? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on QDLS/DLOs authority? - IBM AS400 ; I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the MO CA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and document name ...

  1. QDLS/DLOs authority?

    I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file
    system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the
    MOCA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and
    document name are stored in a physical file, so that part is not a
    problem. I have also been able to use the AFP Workbench View
    application to view the documents. I have even setup a program that
    will display the document.

    The problem is the fact that acess is denied some of the time and
    other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem form
    time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.

    Any one have any ideas as to what could cause access to be allowed one
    time and a few minutes later not allowed?

    By the way this is happening when the adminsitrator is accessing this
    folder as well.

    I am on V5R4 and Windows XP SP2.

    The only way the documents can be accessed consistently is via the
    scanning workstation for the image application.

    For years these documents have been scanned and stored and the
    visability only avaliable on the scanning workstation. The documents
    can be faxed or printed by users but not viewed. The users have had to
    depend on the indexing information correctly matching the document.

    IT has been requested to provide the visability to the end users as
    well. As I said above, I have the ability to do this except for the
    intermittent access issue.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Joe

  2. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    In several conversations with IBM support, they strongly
    recommend that you "NOT" use QDLS to store documents.

    They recommend /root/home/yourfolders in the IFS.

    I would do a test by moving your stuff over to
    another folder and test it from there.

    Joe wrote:

    > The problem is the fact that acess is denied some of the time and
    > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem form
    > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.

  3. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    On Dec 13, 3:09 pm, Pat Barber wrote:
    > In several conversations with IBM support, they strongly
    > recommend that you "NOT" use QDLS to store documents.
    >
    > They recommend /root/home/yourfolders in the IFS.
    >
    > I would do a test by moving your stuff over to
    > another folder and test it from there.
    >

    > Joe wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is the fact that acess is denied some of the time and
    > > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem form
    > > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.- Hide quoted text -

    I agree with you!

    The problem is that currently there are over 350,000 documents stored
    in QDLS due the IBM imaging application which IBM sold and setup for
    my company back around 1995. There is a possbility that in the future
    these documents will be migrated to another imaging application and
    converted to PDF files instead of MOCA files. However, that could be
    a couple of years and this viewability change is required ASAP.

    So, for now at least, I have to access the documents as they are
    currently stored.

  4. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    On Dec 13, 9:10 am, Joe wrote:
    > I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file
    > system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the
    > MOCA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and
    > document name are stored in a physical file, so that part is not a
    > problem. I have also been able to use the AFP Workbench View
    > application to view the documents. I have even setup a program that
    > will display the document.
    >
    > The problem is the fact that acess is denied some of the time and
    > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem form
    > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.
    >
    > Any one have any ideas as to what could cause access to be allowed one
    > time and a few minutes later not allowed?
    >
    > By the way this is happening when the adminsitrator is accessing this
    > folder as well.
    >
    > I am on V5R4 and Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > The only way the documents can be accessed consistently is via the
    > scanning workstation for the image application.
    >
    > For years these documents have been scanned and stored and the
    > visability only avaliable on the scanning workstation. The documents
    > can be faxed or printed by users but not viewed. The users have had to
    > depend on the indexing information correctly matching the document.
    >
    > IT has been requested to provide the visability to the end users as
    > well. As I said above, I have the ability to do this except for the
    > intermittent access issue.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Joe

    Just my 2 cents....

    Just because you are signed on as QSECOFR or Administrator does not
    give you the right to see the file.

    So what I would do is try to fine out "Who owns the object"?

    Either change the object owner, or grant authority, to your profile.

  5. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    A client authority error, or a server authority error; what msgid and
    text? If a client message, what are any corresponding server error
    message(s) and text, and if an authority violation on the server then
    the full details of the T-AF entry in the audit log?

    Are these static objects? Or is a document being copied before being
    displayed? How are the objects authorized: Private aut, *AUTL, group
    aut? Same owner and authorities for all DLO and FLR?

    In another post it appears there are 350K objects... Isn't that the
    limit for any one ASP?

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Joe wrote:
    > I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file
    > system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the
    > MOCA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and
    > document name are stored in a physical file, so that part is not a
    > problem. I have also been able to use the AFP Workbench View
    > application to view the documents. I have even setup a program that
    > will display the document.
    >
    > The problem is the fact that access is denied some of the time and
    > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem from
    > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.
    >
    > Any one have any ideas as to what could cause access to be allowed one
    > time and a few minutes later not allowed?
    >
    > By the way this is happening when the administrator is accessing this
    > folder as well.
    >
    > I am on V5R4 and Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > The only way the documents can be accessed consistently is via the
    > scanning workstation for the image application.
    >
    > For years these documents have been scanned and stored and the
    > visibility only available on the scanning workstation. The documents
    > can be faxed or printed by users but not viewed. The users have had to
    > depend on the indexing information correctly matching the document.
    >
    > IT has been requested to provide the visibility to the end users as
    > well. As I said above, I have the ability to do this except for the
    > intermittent access issue.

  6. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    On Dec 13, 6:08 pm, CRPence wrote:
    > A client authority error, or a server authority error; what msgid and
    > text? If a client message, what are any corresponding server error
    > message(s) and text, and if an authority violation on the server then
    > the full details of the T-AF entry in the audit log?
    >
    > Are these static objects? Or is a document being copied before being
    > displayed? How are the objects authorized: Private aut, *AUTL, group
    > aut? Same owner and authorities for all DLO and FLR?
    >
    > In another post it appears there are 350K objects... Isn't that the
    > limit for any one ASP?
    >
    > Regards, Chuck
    > --
    > All comments provided "as is" with no warranties of any kind
    > whatsoever and may not represent positions, strategies, nor views of my
    > employer
    >

    > Joe wrote:
    > > I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file
    > > system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the
    > > MOCA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and
    > > document name are stored in a physical file, so that part is not a
    > > problem. I have also been able to use the AFP Workbench View
    > > application to view the documents. I have even setup a program that
    > > will display the document.

    > > The problem is the fact that access is denied some of the time and
    > > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem from
    > > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.

    > > Any one have any ideas as to what could cause access to be allowed one
    > > time and a few minutes later not allowed?

    > > By the way this is happening when the administrator is accessing this
    > > folder as well.

    > > I am on V5R4 and Windows XP SP2.

    > > The only way the documents can be accessed consistently is via the
    > > scanning workstation for the image application.

    > > For years these documents have been scanned and stored and the
    > > visibility only available on the scanning workstation. The documents
    > > can be faxed or printed by users but not viewed. The users have had to
    > > depend on the indexing information correctly matching the document.

    > > IT has been requested to provide the visibility to the end users as
    > > well. As I said above, I have the ability to do this except for the
    > > intermittent access issue.- Hide quoted text -

    I have gone so far as changing the *public authority to have *ALL
    authority.

    I still get and "access denied" error saying that the User does not
    have permission to access this folder.

    The owner is QDOC on the QDLS folder and according to the manual this
    can't be changed without causing issues with the imaging application.

    If I create a share on a subfolder within the QDLS folder using
    NetServer, I can access that with no problem. This would be a solution
    if all of the documents I am trying to access existed within one
    subfolder. Due to restrictions within the DLO system, there are 4 ASPs
    with 150 subfolders residing on each for a total of 600 subfolders
    that contain the more than 350,000 documents that could be potentially
    be accessed for viewing purposes.

  7. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    On Dec 14, 3:00 pm, Joe wrote:
> [...]

    > > > intermittent access issue.- Hide quoted text -

    > I have gone so far as changing the *public authority to have *ALL
    > authority.
    >
    > I still get and "access denied" error saying that the User does not
    > have permission to access this folder.
    >
    > The owner is QDOC on the QDLS folder and according to the manual this
    > can't be changed without causing issues with the imaging application.
    >
    > If I create a share on a subfolder within the QDLS folder using
    > NetServer, I can access that with no problem. This would be a solution
    > if all of the documents I am trying to access existed within one
    > subfolder. Due to restrictions within the DLO system, there are 4 ASPs
    > with 150 subfolders residing on each for a total of 600 subfolders
    > that contain the more than 350,000 documents that could be potentially
    > be accessed for viewing purposes.- Hide quoted text -

    Try wrklnk '/qdls/*'
    or moe of the path then navigate to the document/folder & do 9 for
    authority. You might be able to do it from there or else there is the
    command CGHDLOAUT or CHGDLOOWN. If you need to change the userid to
    run the command then do sbmjob with the user parameter.

    HTH
    Jonathan

  8. Re: QDLS/DLOs authority?

    Joe wrote:
    > I have a need to display documents stored in folders in the QDLS file
    > system via a client access session. The documents are stored in the
    > MOCA format via an legacy IBM image application. The path and
    > document name are stored in a physical file, so that part is not a
    > problem. I have also been able to use the AFP Workbench View
    > application to view the documents. I have even setup a program that
    > will display the document.
    >
    > The problem is the fact that acess is denied some of the time and
    > other times it will display with no problem. I am using the same
    > Userid & password each time and the authority is set to change on the
    > QDLS folder on the IFS root folder. I have had the same problem form
    > time to time just accessing the QDLS folder itself.
    >
    > Any one have any ideas as to what could cause access to be allowed one
    > time and a few minutes later not allowed?
    >
    > By the way this is happening when the adminsitrator is accessing this
    > folder as well.
    >
    > I am on V5R4 and Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > The only way the documents can be accessed consistently is via the
    > scanning workstation for the image application.
    >
    > For years these documents have been scanned and stored and the
    > visability only avaliable on the scanning workstation. The documents
    > can be faxed or printed by users but not viewed. The users have had to
    > depend on the indexing information correctly matching the document.
    >
    > IT has been requested to provide the visability to the end users as
    > well. As I said above, I have the ability to do this except for the
    > intermittent access issue.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > Joe

    Did you just recently convert to V5R4. I converted our system to V5R4 a
    few months ago and started get access denied messages on documents in
    QDLS. I did some research and it turns out that it has something to do
    with QDLS not being a threadsafe file system. See the link for more
    details.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...otqzlsfile.htm

+ Reply to Thread