File Status Error 44 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on File Status Error 44 - IBM AS400 ; Hi all, We have a COBOL OPM program that triggers a file status 44. This occurs on a COBOL REWRITE command. The description for the error is as follows: "A boundary violation exists because an attempt was made to rewrite ...

  1. File Status Error 44

    Hi all,

    We have a COBOL OPM program that triggers a file status 44. This
    occurs on a COBOL REWRITE command. The description for the error is as
    follows:

    "A boundary violation exists because an attempt was made to rewrite a
    record to a file and and the record was not the same size as the
    record being replaced".

    I don't believe I ever seen this error before. We usually get boundary
    violations when a file is opened, not updated.
    I don't understand how this could be happening since all of our I-O
    routines are copy-coded. There is no way we can change the FD in the
    middle of an executing program. The file in question is opened
    successfully, a record is then added and the abort takes place when
    the just added record is being updated.

    Any ideas would be most welcome.

    Thanks

    Elliot

  2. Re: File Status Error 44

    If the read experienced File Status Error 04 (FS04), then the FS44
    may be expected.

    If the file being written to is a multi format logical file (MFLF),
    then be sure to use COPY DDS-ALL-FORMATS or to at least INCLUDE the
    record description of the largest [record length] format of the logical
    file.

    What PTF cumulative level, DB fixpack, & PTF level for QDBCRTFI *PGM?
    There was a defect[ive PTF] at some non-cumulative PTF level [in v5r3
    at least] whereby the record length may have been set incorrectly in a
    logical file, during either a crtdupobj, restore, or alter. A request
    to create [an alternate name of] the file anew, and then compare the
    existing file to the new file by DSPFD, such that a difference with
    maximum record length would indicate such a problem -- the new file
    should replace [by deleting] the existing file.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Elliot wrote:
    > We have a COBOL OPM program that triggers a file status 44. This
    > occurs on a COBOL REWRITE command. The description for the error is
    > as follows:
    >
    > "A boundary violation exists because an attempt was made to rewrite
    > a record to a file and and the record was not the same size as the
    > record being replaced".
    >
    > I don't believe I ever seen this error before. We usually get
    > boundary violations when a file is opened, not updated. I don't
    > understand how this could be happening since all of our I-O routines
    > are copy-coded. There is no way we can change the FD in the middle of
    > an executing program. The file in question is opened successfully, a
    > record is then added and the abort takes place when the just added
    > record is being updated.
    >
    > Any ideas would be most welcome.

  3. Re: File Status Error 44

    Hi Chuck,

    I can't answer all of your questions immediately, but here is some
    additional information and I'll have to log on to the customer site
    for the rest. You are correct about the File Status Error 04 (FS04)
    triggering the status 44.

    1)My customer is on V4R3M0
    2)The file is question is a work file. It is created with CRTPF at the
    program start and deleted at the end.
    3)There is only one format - it's not a multi-format file
    4)There are no associated logical files.

    Thanks

    Elliot

  4. Re: File Status Error 44

    Some possibilities:
    - The file being referenced may have changed; e.g. the file name as
    referenced by the program now exists by that name in a library before
    the dynamically created file, or is redirected by a new override being
    established in the job.
    - The dynamically created file is being created with a different
    record length than what was used for the compile.
    - The program was recompiled with a different GENOPT() for With
    Standard Error [STDERR] versus Without Standard Error [NOSTDERR], such
    that review of the "Effects of *STDERR and *NOSTDERR on File Status"
    should be reviewed in the COBOL/400 User's Gd.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/c0918120.pdf

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Elliot wrote:
    > I can't answer all of your questions immediately, but here is some
    > additional information and I'll have to log on to the customer site
    > for the rest. You are correct about the File Status Error 04 (FS04)
    > triggering the status 44.
    >
    > 1)My customer is on V4R3M0
    > 2)The file is question is a work file. It is created with CRTPF at the
    > program start and deleted at the end.
    > 3)There is only one format - it's not a multi-format file
    > 4)There are no associated logical files.

+ Reply to Thread