Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely - IBM AS400 ; Guys & Gals - I've google this and there are no straight answer, can you guys give me a rough low-down. What port(s) do I need to allow passthrough to the AS/400 (V5R3) to use the iSeries Navigator from remote ...

  1. Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Guys & Gals -

    I've google this and there are no straight answer, can you guys give me
    a rough low-down.

    What port(s) do I need to allow passthrough to the AS/400 (V5R3) to use
    the iSeries Navigator from remote location (home).

    I am being laid off, but on a 'on-call' basis. I need the ability to
    use Navigator in case issues arise.

    I did a NetStat, but it did not show any as-* ports. I did 'go tcpadm'
    to check the network status.. all as-* is listening, but does not show
    ports only '*'.

    Thanks for your help

    Gil

  2. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    I use 445-449 and 8470-8479 for OP.NAV

    "Gil" schreef in bericht
    > Guys & Gals -
    >
    > I've google this and there are no straight answer, can you guys give me a
    > rough low-down.
    >
    > What port(s) do I need to allow passthrough to the AS/400 (V5R3) to use
    > the iSeries Navigator from remote location (home).
    >
    > I am being laid off, but on a 'on-call' basis. I need the ability to use
    > Navigator in case issues arise.
    >
    > I did a NetStat, but it did not show any as-* ports. I did 'go tcpadm' to
    > check the network status.. all as-* is listening, but does not show ports
    > only '*'.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gil

  3. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Try running CWBPING from the PC. It will let you know if any ports
    aren't working.

  4. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Gil wrote:
    > Guys & Gals -
    >
    > I've google this and there are no straight answer, can you guys give me
    > a rough low-down.
    >
    > What port(s) do I need to allow passthrough to the AS/400 (V5R3) to use
    > the iSeries Navigator from remote location (home).
    >
    > I am being laid off, but on a 'on-call' basis. I need the ability to
    > use Navigator in case issues arise.
    >
    > I did a NetStat, but it did not show any as-* ports. I did 'go tcpadm'
    > to check the network status.. all as-* is listening, but does not show
    > ports only '*'.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Gil

    Wouldn't it be quite a bit easier to just join a vpn? This would not
    only give you access through navigator, but is several orders of
    magnitude more secure as well...(Unencrypted telnet sessions over the
    public internet is a bad bad bad idea)

  5. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Gil

    I agree with Ryan on this one.

    I use a vpn from home to office and I get straight in with explorer,
    telnet etc. Everything is 3DES on the VPN.

    Cheers
    Neil

  6. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Graybeard wrote:
    > Try running CWBPING from the PC. It will let you know if any ports
    > aren't working.

    Thanks

    I will give that a go. I knew I need to do that, but I wanted to know
    what port is what so I have a point of reference.
    Gil

  7. Re: Moving out..need iSeries Nav working remotely

    Ryan...I will try to implement the VPN between 2 points.

    thanks

    Gil

    Ryan wrote:

    > Gil wrote:
    >
    >>Guys & Gals -
    >>
    >>I've google this and there are no straight answer, can you guys give me
    >>a rough low-down.
    >>
    >>What port(s) do I need to allow passthrough to the AS/400 (V5R3) to use
    >>the iSeries Navigator from remote location (home).
    >>
    >>I am being laid off, but on a 'on-call' basis. I need the ability to
    >>use Navigator in case issues arise.
    >>
    >>I did a NetStat, but it did not show any as-* ports. I did 'go tcpadm'
    >>to check the network status.. all as-* is listening, but does not show
    >>ports only '*'.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help
    >>
    >>Gil

    > Wouldn't it be quite a bit easier to just join a vpn? This would not
    > only give you access through navigator, but is several orders of
    > magnitude more secure as well...(Unencrypted telnet sessions over the
    > public internet is a bad bad bad idea)

+ Reply to Thread