810 to 515 conversion - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on 810 to 515 conversion - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup & Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your system to a different machine. I assume this is what I ...

  1. 810 to 515 conversion

    Hi,

    I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    follow???

    Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    reconciling resource differences.

    But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    810, they will go over?

    Or would I be better off kind of migrating manually instead of using
    this scenario in the B/R guide. For instance, just go ahead and bring
    the new system up, then restore user profiles, and then libraries,
    etc?

    Anyone who might have been down a similar path, I would appreciate
    anything you would be willing to share from your experiences.
    Obviously, doesn't have to be from an 810 to a 515, but anything
    similar to this experience would be beneficial for me to hear about.

    Appreciate any/all suggestions, recommendations and ideas.

    thanks,
    ga

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    On Nov 6, 10:59 am, ga wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    > Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    > system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    > follow???
    >
    > Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    > different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    > reconciling resource differences.
    >
    > But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    > PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    > to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    > the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    > just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    > Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    > 810, they will go over?
    >
    > Or would I be better off kind of migrating manually instead of using
    > this scenario in the B/R guide. For instance, just go ahead and bring
    > the new system up, then restore user profiles, and then libraries,
    > etc?
    >
    > Anyone who might have been down a similar path, I would appreciate
    > anything you would be willing to share from your experiences.
    > Obviously, doesn't have to be from an 810 to a 515, but anything
    > similar to this experience would be beneficial for me to hear about.
    >
    > Appreciate any/all suggestions, recommendations and ideas.
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    Will your new box be LPAR'd?? IS your new system coming pre-
    installed??

  3. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    No LPAR. The OS and Licensed programs will be installed supposedly,
    but I am still contemplating if my best bet wouldn't be to use the
    technique described in the backup/recovery guide under "restoring your
    system on a different server" (or something like that?

    thanks,
    ga
    jacko wrote:

    >On Nov 6, 10:59 am, ga wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    >> Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    >> system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    >> follow???
    >>
    >> Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    >> different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    >> reconciling resource differences.
    >>
    >> But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    >> PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    >> to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    >> the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    >> just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    >> Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    >> 810, they will go over?
    >>
    >> Or would I be better off kind of migrating manually instead of using
    >> this scenario in the B/R guide. For instance, just go ahead and bring
    >> the new system up, then restore user profiles, and then libraries,
    >> etc?
    >>
    >> Anyone who might have been down a similar path, I would appreciate
    >> anything you would be willing to share from your experiences.
    >> Obviously, doesn't have to be from an 810 to a 515, but anything
    >> similar to this experience would be beneficial for me to hear about.
    >>
    >> Appreciate any/all suggestions, recommendations and ideas.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> ga
    >>
    >> ga
    >> nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    >Will your new box be LPAR'd?? IS your new system coming pre-
    >installed??

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  4. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    On Nov 6, 12:50 pm, ga wrote:
    > No LPAR. The OS and Licensed programs will be installed supposedly,
    > but I am still contemplating if my best bet wouldn't be to use the
    > technique described in the backup/recovery guide under "restoring your
    > system on a different server" (or something like that?
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >

    > jacko wrote:
    > >On Nov 6, 10:59 am, ga wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    > >> Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    > >> system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    > >> follow???

    > >> Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    > >> different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    > >> reconciling resource differences.

    > >> But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    > >> PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    > >> to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    > >> the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    > >> just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    > >> Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    > >> 810, they will go over?

    > >> Or would I be better off kind of migrating manually instead of using
    > >> this scenario in the B/R guide. For instance, just go ahead and bring
    > >> the new system up, then restore user profiles, and then libraries,
    > >> etc?

    > >> Anyone who might have been down a similar path, I would appreciate
    > >> anything you would be willing to share from your experiences.
    > >> Obviously, doesn't have to be from an 810 to a 515, but anything
    > >> similar to this experience would be beneficial for me to hear about.

    > >> Appreciate any/all suggestions, recommendations and ideas.

    > >> thanks,
    > >> ga

    > >> ga
    > >> nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    > >Will your new box be LPAR'd?? IS your new system coming pre-
    > >installed??

    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com- Hide quoted text -

    That is the route I would go with this, I would do a 01DM IPL from my
    savsys tape.

  5. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    Does it make any difference if the new box has mirrored drives and my
    existing is raid??? that's all transparent to the restore process
    isn't it??

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  6. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    On Nov 6, 1:50 pm, ga wrote:
    > Does it make any difference if the new box has mirrored drives and my
    > existing is raid??? that's all transparent to the restore process
    > isn't it??
    >
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    Yep that part will probably be all setup by IBM or your BP.

    Hardware between each does not matter so long as you have enough disk
    to load on the new one.

  7. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    On Nov 6, 10:59 am, ga wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    > Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    > system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    > follow???
    >
    > Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    > different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    > reconciling resource differences.
    >
    > But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    > PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    > to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    > the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    > just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    > Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    > 810, they will go over?

    I would not restore the OS and LIC of the 810 on the 515. on the 810
    you do a save menu option 21 - save the entire system. On the restore
    side you want to do the restore steps individually, starting after the
    skipped first few steps of restoring the operating system.

    actually, option 21 from the restore menu might do exactly what you
    want it to do. When doing a scratch install on a system you boot from
    tape to restore the LIC, then take the option to restore the OS from
    the DST menu. The last step to to run is restore menu option 21 using
    the tape created by save menu option 21. This last step is the only
    one you should do since the 515 already has the LIC and OS installed
    on it.

    -Steve

  8. Re: 810 to 515 conversion

    you should have professional assistance. may we discuss? joe
    leblanc www.michsoft.com

    On Nov 6, 10:59 am, ga wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am moving from an 810 to a 515 in the near future. The Backup &
    > Recovery guide has a scenario that you can follow to restore your
    > system to a different machine. I assume this is what I need to
    > follow???
    >
    > Some questions arise though. I realize that some hardware will be
    > different and that is addressed in another document, which talks about
    > reconciling resource differences.
    >
    > But I am also wondering. My 810 is at v5r4 relatively current on
    > PTF's. I assume it restores the LIC and operating system from the 810
    > to the 515. What if there are additional hardware specific ptf's for
    > the 515 that aren't on my 810? Should I order a cum tape and have
    > just in case? Also, by doing it this way, I assume that if there are
    > Licensed programs not on the 515 when it ships but that I had on the
    > 810, they will go over?
    >
    > Or would I be better off kind of migrating manually instead of using
    > this scenario in the B/R guide. For instance, just go ahead and bring
    > the new system up, then restore user profiles, and then libraries,
    > etc?
    >
    > Anyone who might have been down a similar path, I would appreciate
    > anything you would be willing to share from your experiences.
    > Obviously, doesn't have to be from an 810 to a 515, but anything
    > similar to this experience would be beneficial for me to hear about.
    >
    > Appreciate any/all suggestions, recommendations and ideas.
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com