System Value & LPAR - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on System Value & LPAR - IBM AS400 ; I'm trying to change a system value, QPWRRSTIPL, on a partitioned iSeries. When I attempt this change, I get the following erroro msg: Message ID . . . . . . : CPF18B4 Date sent . . . . . ...

  1. System Value & LPAR

    I'm trying to change a system value, QPWRRSTIPL, on a partitioned
    iSeries. When I attempt this change, I get the following erroro msg:

    Message ID . . . . . . :
    CPF18B4
    Date sent . . . . . . : 11/02/07 Time sent . . . . . . :
    15:47:17

    Message . . . . : QPWRRSTIPL cannot be changed in secondary
    partition.

    Cause . . . . . : The value for QPWRRSTIPL is used for all
    partitions on the
    system. It cannot be changed in a secondary
    partition.
    Recovery . . . : Try the request in the primary partition or from
    the
    hardware management console or service
    processor.
    Technical description . . . . . . . . : See the Logical Partitions
    topic in
    the Information Center, http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter,
    for
    more
    information.

    I'm not that familiar with partitions but I'm going to the 'main'
    partition, or what we consider the main partition and I get the same
    message. I'm not sure where to go from here? Is it something that is
    changed with the HMC? If so, how/where. I can't find anything on
    system values dealing with LPAR or HMC.

    THANKS.............Greg

  2. Re: System Value & LPAR

    Greg

    Check out the Profile on your HMC, you can set in there which LPARs to
    bring on line automatically, the link below will give you an overview
    of what you can do and a starting point for a How To.

    That said, it is well worth you taking some time to study how to use a
    HMC properly as you have access to controls that can greatly affect
    the way your iSeries works.

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...parprofile.htm

    Good Luck, Brad

  3. Re: System Value & LPAR

    greg.root@capitolbancorp.com wrote in news:1194033046.710817.286010
    @o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm trying to change a system value, QPWRRSTIPL, on a partitioned
    > iSeries. When I attempt this change, I get the following erroro msg:
    >
    > Message ID . . . . . . :
    > CPF18B4
    > Date sent . . . . . . : 11/02/07 Time sent . . . . . . :
    > 15:47:17
    >
    > Message . . . . : QPWRRSTIPL cannot be changed in secondary
    > partition.
    >
    > Cause . . . . . : The value for QPWRRSTIPL is used for all
    > partitions on the
    > system. It cannot be changed in a secondary
    > partition.
    > Recovery . . . : Try the request in the primary partition or from
    > the
    > hardware management console or service
    > processor.
    > Technical description . . . . . . . . : See the Logical Partitions
    > topic in
    > the Information Center,

    http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter,
    > for
    > more
    > information.
    >
    > I'm not that familiar with partitions but I'm going to the 'main'
    > partition, or what we consider the main partition and I get the same
    > message. I'm not sure where to go from here? Is it something that is
    > changed with the HMC? If so, how/where. I can't find anything on
    > system values dealing with LPAR or HMC.
    >
    > THANKS.............Greg

    auto power restart in ASMI menu

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../hw/index.jsp?
    topic=/iphbp/usingsyspc.htm&tocNode=int_119406

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../hw/index.jsp?
    topic=/iphby/accessasmi.htm&resultof=%22%41%53%4d%49%22%20

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  4. Re: System Value & LPAR

    On Nov 3, 6:41 am, Brad wrote:
    > Greg
    >
    > Check out the Profile on your HMC, you can set in there which LPARs to
    > bring on line automatically, the link below will give you an overview
    > of what you can do and a starting point for a How To.
    >
    > That said, it is well worth you taking some time to study how to use a
    > HMC properly as you have access to controls that can greatly affect
    > the way your iSeries works.
    >
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...hw/index.jsp?t...
    >
    > Good Luck, Brad

    Brad,

    Thanks for the tip. Where would you suggest the best place for me to
    study/learn about the HMC?

    Thanks Again,

    Greg

  5. Re: System Value & LPAR

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...v5r4/index.jsp for
    InfoCenter has some details listed by searching on HMC; e.g.
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...hmckickoff.htm

    There is also a Redbooks publication which is probably [I have not
    used it] better for an overview in a book format rather than
    documentation on various tasks spread about across InfoCenter:
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstract...7491.html?Open

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    greg.root@capitolbancorp.com wrote:
    > Thanks for the tip. Where would you suggest the best place for me to
    > study/learn about the HMC?

+ Reply to Thread