Redirect printed output - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Redirect printed output - IBM AS400 ; Let's say I have a broken printer (PRT01), and I want to redirect printed output for the broken printer to a different printer (PRT02). Is there a simple way to do this that will persist across IPL's until the broken ...

  1. Redirect printed output

    Let's say I have a broken printer (PRT01), and I want to redirect
    printed output for the broken printer to a different printer (PRT02).
    Is there a simple way to do this that will persist across IPL's until
    the broken printer is fixed?

  2. Re: Redirect printed output

    On Oct 30, 1:21 pm, Scott Coffey wrote:
    > Let's say I have a broken printer (PRT01), and I want to redirect
    > printed output for the broken printer to a different printer (PRT02).
    > Is there a simple way to do this that will persist across IPL's until
    > the broken printer is fixed?

    If it is twinax just vary off both printers, change the device ID of
    prt01 to point to the device ID associated with prt02, turn off prt01
    to make sure it is not on the twinax network, and when you do a
    wrkcfgsts *dev prt02 set the Parm "Online at IPL" to no. Anything that
    was trying to hit prt01 will print out of the other machine.

    If it is a TCP/IP printer, you can either swap IP addresses on the
    printers or on the device descriptions on the as/400.

    Chris

  3. Re: Redirect printed output

    Hi Scott -

    On 30 Oct 2007 15:21:01 -0500, Scott Coffey wrote:

    >Let's say I have a broken printer (PRT01), and I want to redirect
    >printed output for the broken printer to a different printer (PRT02).
    >Is there a simple way to do this that will persist across IPL's until
    >the broken printer is fixed?

    Change the output queue for PRT01 to be a remote output queue pointing
    to the output queue for PRT02. Change the device description PRT01 to
    not vary on at IPL so that no writer will be started.

    Note that any reports that are held in PRT01 will not go to PRT02 and
    that any reports that are SAVE(*YES) will be saved in both output
    queues.

    --
    Ken