Winter or summer automatic time update - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Winter or summer automatic time update - IBM AS400 ; Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change on Iseries like MS windows does ? Thanks in advance....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Winter or summer automatic time update

    Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change on
    Iseries like MS windows does ?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    "CENTRINO" schreef in bericht

    > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change on
    > Iseries like MS windows does ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Yes, this is what we do.

    We have entered a job in the job scedular that comes active each last sunday
    of the month at 2 o'clock in the morning.

    This job activates following CL programme:

    /*********************************************/
    /*
    */
    /* A PROGRAM TO CHECK IF THE SYSTEM HAS TO SWITCH */
    /* FROM SUMMER TO WINTERTIME OR VICE VERSA */
    /*
    */
    /*********************************************/

    PGM
    DCL VAR(&MONTH) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
    DCL VAR(&HOUR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
    DCL VAR(&HOUR#) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(2 0)

    RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QMONTH) RTNVAR(&MONTH)
    RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHOUR) RTNVAR(&HOUR)

    CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR)

    IF COND(&MONTH = '03') THEN(DO)
    CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR# +1)
    ENDDO

    IF COND(&MONTH = '10') THEN(DO)
    CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR# -1)
    ENDDO

    IF COND((&MONTH = '03') *OR (&MONTH = '10')) +
    THEN(DO)
    CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR) VALUE(&HOUR#)
    CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHOUR) VALUE(&HOUR)
    ENDDO

    ENDPGM

  3. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    CENTRINO écrivait dans
    news:fg48a1$gnj$1@nsnmpen2-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net ce qui
    suit:

    > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time
    > change on
    > Iseries like MS windows does ?

    This is automatic using new (V5R3 and more) QTIMZON system value

    --
    Cordialement
    Marc Rauzier

  4. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Pjotr écrivait dans news:4725bed5$0$24399$5fc3050@news.tiscali.nl ce
    qui suit:

    > CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHOUR) VALUE(&HOUR)

    You should also handle QUTCOFFSET system value if you are at V5R2 and
    less.

    --
    Cordialement
    Marc Rauzier
    (pour me répondre, ne pas utiliser le from mais le reply-to)

  5. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Hi -

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:07:23 -0000, "CENTRINO"
    wrote:

    > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change on
    >Iseries like MS windows does ?

    If you are on V5R3 or higher, the timezone support will handle this
    automatically if the time zone definition is configured correctly.

    On earlier versions of the OS the QHOUR or QTIME system value has to
    be changed (which can be done by a program).

    You should also change the QUTCOFFSET system value at the same time.

    --
    Ken

  6. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    "Ken Sims" schreef in bericht
    > Hi -
    >
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:07:23 -0000, "CENTRINO"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change on
    > >Iseries like MS windows does ?

    > If you are on V5R3 or higher, the timezone support will handle this
    > automatically if the time zone definition is configured correctly.

    If they are on V5R3 the OP would not have asked a solution, so wat you write
    is no answer to the question. Nobody asked this.

  7. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    "Marc Rauzier" schreef in bericht
    > CENTRINO écrivait dans
    > news:fg48a1$gnj$1@nsnmpen2-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net ce qui
    > suit:
    >

    > > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time
    > > change on
    > > Iseries like MS windows does ?

    > This is automatic using new (V5R3 and more) QTIMZON system value

    Yeah, but that is NOT what the OP is asking for.
    Nice of you to let the world know that you know !

  8. [OT] Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Pjotr écrivait dans news:47260f48$0$24413$5fc3050@news.tiscali.nl ce
    qui suit:

    >> > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time
    >> > change on
    >> > Iseries like MS windows does ?

    >> This is automatic using new (V5R3 and more) QTIMZON system value

    > Yeah, but that is NOT what the OP is asking for.
    > Nice of you to let the world know that you know !

    Please, could you be less aggressive ?
    Or do you think you are the only person able to provide answers on this
    *public* newsgroup ?

    Note : if your email address was valid, I would use it to follow-up
    this discussion while I do not appreciate your answer. My address is
    valid if your newsreader is able to use reply-to header.

    --
    Cordialement
    Marc Rauzier
    (pour me répondre, ne pas utiliser le from mais le reply-to)

  9. Re: [OT] Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    > Pjotr écrivait dans news:47260f48$0$24413$5fc3050@news.tiscali.nl ce
    > qui suit:

    > >> This is automatic using new (V5R3 and more) QTIMZON system value

    > > Yeah, but that is NOT what the OP is asking for.
    > > Nice of you to let the world know that you know !
    > >

    > Please, could you be less aggressive ?
    > Or do you think you are the only person able to provide answers on this
    > *public* newsgroup ?

    1) I get aggressive from people that supply answers to questions that are'nt
    asked. By the way, you were not the only one that shared us the thought that
    from V5R3 it is automatic.
    2) I do not think that I am the only person to provide answers to this
    public newsgroup. I just give answers to questions that other people ask.

    Cheers

  10. Re: [OT] Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Pjotr écrivait dans news:472620cb$0$24434$5fc3050@news.tiscali.nl ce
    qui suit:

    > 1) I get aggressive from people that supply answers to questions
    > that are'nt asked.

    Keep cool, Pjotr

    > By the way, you were not the only one that
    > shared us the thought that from V5R3 it is automatic.

    Are you sure that everybody knows all the new features of each version
    and specifically this one ?
    I just thought it was a good place to recall to people who may not know
    that one, to avoid writing any program.
    Any time it is possible, I prefer using operating system capabilities
    (like MS windows does according to the requester) rather than writing
    (testing, debugging ...) my own procedures.

    > 2) I do not think that I am the only person to provide answers to
    > this public newsgroup. I just give answers to questions that other
    > people ask.

    We just do not agree about this point (what is the question and what
    is the answer) and I believe we will never agree so EOT for me.

    --
    Cordialement
    Marc Rauzier
    (pour me répondre, ne pas utiliser le from mais le reply-to)

  11. Re: [OT] Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:01:37 +0100, "Pjotr"
    wrote:

    >1) I get aggressive from people that supply answers to questions that are'nt
    >asked. By the way, you were not the only one that shared us the thought that
    >from V5R3 it is automatic.
    >2) I do not think that I am the only person to provide answers to this
    >public newsgroup. I just give answers to questions that other people ask.

    The OP did not include OS release information. Some people may be new
    to V5R3 and not realize the new timezone support is included.

    *PLONK*

    --
    Ken

  12. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    today, two clients phoned their time was not right, one was on V5R3 the
    other on V5R4 both used own programs in the jobscheduler to switch time
    along the automatic switch by the operating system!

    "Pjotr" wrote in

    > "Ken Sims" schreef in bericht
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:07:23 -0000, "CENTRINO"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time
    >> > change on
    >> >Iseries like MS windows does ?

    >> If you are on V5R3 or higher, the timezone support will handle this
    >> automatically if the time zone definition is configured correctly.

    > If they are on V5R3 the OP would not have asked a solution, so wat you
    > write is no answer to the question. Nobody asked this.

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  13. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Than their own programs fail.

    "Ad" schreef in bericht
    > today, two clients phoned their time was not right, one was on V5R3 the
    > other on V5R4 both used own programs in the jobscheduler to switch time
    > along the automatic switch by the operating system!
    >

    > "Pjotr" wrote in
    >

    > > "Ken Sims" schreef in bericht
    > >> Hi -

    > >> If you are on V5R3 or higher, the timezone support will handle this
    > >> automatically if the time zone definition is configured correctly.

    > > If they are on V5R3 the OP would not have asked a solution, so wat you
    > > write is no answer to the question. Nobody asked this.
    > >

    > --
    > Ad,
    >
    > What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    > (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  14. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Pjotr wrote:
    > "Marc Rauzier" schreef in bericht
    >> CENTRINO écrivait dans
    >> news:fg48a1$gnj$1@nsnmpen2-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net ce qui
    >> suit:
    >>
    >>> Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time
    >>> change on
    >>> Iseries like MS windows does ?

    >> This is automatic using new (V5R3 and more) QTIMZON system value

    > Yeah, but that is NOT what the OP is asking for.
    > Nice of you to let the world know that you know !

    Sure, it was, though it might have been an unfortunately worded question.

    He asked if it could be done automatically as Windows does it. And the
    correct answer is "Yes, if you are on V5R3 or later. Use the QTIMZON
    system value." It is the precise, correct answer to the question that
    was asked, except that it doesn't also mention the QUTCOFFSET and QTIME
    system values. There is a direct implication that the answer is "No, if
    you are not at least at V5R3."

    Prior to V5R3, there was no way to do it automatically [in a way similar
    to Windows]. You have to do it by programming, by setting your own
    scheduled commands or by executing commands manually.

    In asking if it could be done like Windows does it, the question
    necessarily excluded any programming or manual or scheduled commands.
    Windows does not do it having you write a program and executing it on a
    schedule. To think to answer otherwise is to think that the OP didn't
    even know that the time could be set by commands at all, and that's a
    pointless basis for trying to answer such a question with no additional
    information.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  15. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Well, thankyou all for your unswers ...

    My system is in V5R3M0 ... My QTIMZON is Q0000GMT, but it did not change
    the QHOUR as supposed. The system is in the Canary Islands (Spain) wich
    shares the London time.

    Do I have to change any other thing on my AS/400? It is a 170 model.

  16. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    CENTRINO écrivait dans
    news:fg7e7u$jae$1@nsnmpen2-gest.nuria.telefonica-data.net ce qui
    suit:

    > Well, thankyou all for your unswers ...
    >
    > My system is in V5R3M0 ... My QTIMZON is Q0000GMT, but it did
    > not change

    See this page here :

    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...ic/rzati/rzati
    timezone.htm
    (http://tinyurl.com/3c5fy5)

    Q0000GMT is not supposed to change at any time.

    > the QHOUR as supposed. The system is in the Canary Islands (Spain)
    > wich shares the London time.
    >
    > Do I have to change any other thing on my AS/400? It is a 170
    > model.

    Select another time zone in the list above. My understanding is that
    you should select Q0000GMT2.

    --
    Cordialement
    Marc Rauzier
    (pour me répondre, ne pas utiliser le from mais le reply-to)

  17. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    CENTRINO wrote:
    > My system is in V5R3M0 ... My QTIMZON is Q0000GMT, but it did not
    > change the QHOUR as supposed. The system is in the Canary Islands
    > (Spain) wich shares the London time.

    It sounds like you might prefer Q0000GMT2 or Q0000GMT3

    You can use CL WRKTIMZON to see a list of available time zones and then
    Option 5 on a particular time zone to display attributes of that time zone
    such as when daylight savings time begins and ends.

    --
    -----
    Walt Madden -- IBM System i software development

  18. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    That's the point! thankyou very much.

    "Walt Madden" escribió en el mensaje
    news:zNadnb2A5ftI1LranZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > CENTRINO wrote:
    > > My system is in V5R3M0 ... My QTIMZON is Q0000GMT, but it did not
    > > change the QHOUR as supposed. The system is in the Canary Islands
    > > (Spain) wich shares the London time.

    > It sounds like you might prefer Q0000GMT2 or Q0000GMT3
    >
    > You can use CL WRKTIMZON to see a list of available time zones and then
    > Option 5 on a particular time zone to display attributes of that time zone
    > such as when daylight savings time begins and ends.
    >
    > --
    > -----
    > Walt Madden -- IBM System i software development

  19. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Thank you Pjotr! for pasting your program. It will be very useful for our
    customers on OS levels under V5R3M0.

    "Pjotr" escribió en el mensaje

    > "CENTRINO" schreef in bericht
    > >
    > > Is there any way to program an automatic winter-summer time change

    on
    > > Iseries like MS windows does ?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Yes, this is what we do.
    >
    > We have entered a job in the job scedular that comes active each last

    sunday
    > of the month at 2 o'clock in the morning.
    >
    > This job activates following CL programme:
    >

    > /*********************************************/
    > /*
    > */
    > /* A PROGRAM TO CHECK IF THE SYSTEM HAS TO SWITCH */
    > /* FROM SUMMER TO WINTERTIME OR VICE VERSA */
    > /*
    > */
    > /*********************************************/
    >
    > PGM
    > DCL VAR(&MONTH) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
    > DCL VAR(&HOUR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
    > DCL VAR(&HOUR#) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(2 0)
    >
    > RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QMONTH) RTNVAR(&MONTH)
    > RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHOUR) RTNVAR(&HOUR)
    >
    > CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR)
    >
    > IF COND(&MONTH = '03') THEN(DO)
    > CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR# +1)
    > ENDDO
    >
    > IF COND(&MONTH = '10') THEN(DO)
    > CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR#) VALUE(&HOUR# -1)
    > ENDDO
    >
    > IF COND((&MONTH = '03') *OR (&MONTH = '10')) +
    > THEN(DO)
    > CHGVAR VAR(&HOUR) VALUE(&HOUR#)
    > CHGSYSVAL SYSVAL(QHOUR) VALUE(&HOUR)
    > ENDDO
    >
    > ENDPGM

  20. Re: Winter or summer automatic time update

    Too bad it does not allow us to change it unstead of downloaded the
    latest PTF and go through all the updates.

    But I just fix it by changing the QHour System Values...

    Gil