iseries access connection - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iseries access connection - IBM AS400 ; If we acquire a new as/400 with a different serial number, will the iseries clients still be able to find it regardless of what the as/400 "name" is? For instance, on our existing as/400 it is named S1xxxxxxx. (serial number). ...

  1. iseries access connection

    If we acquire a new as/400 with a different serial number, will the
    iseries clients still be able to find it regardless of what the as/400
    "name" is?

    For instance, on our existing as/400 it is named S1xxxxxxx. (serial
    number). In iseries access you have to create a "connection" to the
    as/400. Do we need to name the new as/400 the same as the old one,
    S1xxxxxx or can it be named S1yyyyyy and the clients stilll find it?
    I am assuming it really is based on what is in the hosts file on the
    pc and as long as we have that resolving to the correct IP address we
    will be okay?

    So if we replace our present as/400 with a new one, but make the ip
    address on the as/400 the same, I am thinking the hosts file will get
    it to the right place even if we don't call the as/400 s1xxxxxx? I
    mean, as long as the pc connection is named s1xxxxxx it will go to the
    hosts file, and get the ip and resolve to the as/400 correctly?? I
    would like to avoid recreating all those default connections on pc's
    if possible.

    thanks
    ga
    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  2. Re: iseries access connection

    On Oct 26, 12:50 pm, ga wrote:
    > If we acquire a new as/400 with a different serial number, will the
    > iseries clients still be able to find it regardless of what the as/400
    > "name" is?
    >
    > For instance, on our existing as/400 it is named S1xxxxxxx. (serial
    > number). In iseries access you have to create a "connection" to the
    > as/400. Do we need to name the new as/400 the same as the old one,
    > S1xxxxxx or can it be named S1yyyyyy and the clients stilll find it?
    > I am assuming it really is based on what is in the hosts file on the
    > pc and as long as we have that resolving to the correct IP address we
    > will be okay?
    >
    > So if we replace our present as/400 with a new one, but make the ip
    > address on the as/400 the same, I am thinking the hosts file will get
    > it to the right place even if we don't call the as/400 s1xxxxxx? I
    > mean, as long as the pc connection is named s1xxxxxx it will go to the
    > hosts file, and get the ip and resolve to the as/400 correctly?? I
    > would like to avoid recreating all those default connections on pc's
    > if possible.
    >
    > thanks
    > ga
    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com

    Hi

    The hosts file will do it for you but, imho, it is much better to
    configure each connection with the ip address of the as400. This means
    that when you change systems it is one less thing to think about.

    Cheers
    Neil

+ Reply to Thread