Re: Licensed programs - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Re: Licensed programs - IBM AS400 ; thegman ha scritto: > phone up IBM and > find out what LICPGMs are installed I'm not sure about USA, but here, in Italy, a BP may ask IBM on their web site to retrive key for a specified serial ...

  1. Re: Licensed programs

    thegman ha scritto:
    > phone up IBM and
    > find out what LICPGMs are installed

    I'm not sure about USA, but here, in Italy, a BP may ask IBM on their
    web site to retrive key for a specified serial number if he know the
    owner and nothing more.

    i know this work as i bought an AS from a friend who have lost the key
    and ask IBM for retrieving key (the AS was out of assistance ) and i got
    them by the BP (cannot access directly as i wasn't the owner of the
    item). As i told, this is legal in Italy dont' know in USA, so cannot
    predict it will work. Howevere, it will wortha try.

    > OS/400 itself will continue to run after 70 days and let a user work.

    For direct experience, i can deny this. i've got a 4.4.0 old machine
    that we do a scratch install after put ot of production line, and wait
    for ha
    Last week i go to it for another job, and after the console started i
    got a nice 'The system want a key, give me a ley or i'll signoff' that
    prevent me from doing anything but get the key and add (fun enough, i
    always wonder what will be the system behaviuor after 70-days grace
    perior, now i've discorvedti :-)

  2. Re: Licensed programs

    Obelix-it wrote:
    > thegman ha scritto:
    >> phone up IBM and
    >> find out what LICPGMs are installed

    > I'm not sure about USA, but here, in Italy, a BP may ask IBM on their
    > web site to retrive key for a specified serial number if he know the
    > owner and nothing more.

    I suspect that the same could be done here. However, the problem is that
    the registered serial number owner is not known. I believe that the
    customer number is the minimum necessary and that web access for that
    account must be registered with IBM first.

    It certainly wouldn't be a good business decision by IBM simply to hand
    out license keys on request with no prior agreement.

    But some of my family in Sicily tell me that they could make IBM offers
    that they couldn't refuse... :-)

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: Licensed programs

    il 26/10/2007 7.20, Scrive Obelix-it 40640624:
    > thegman ha scritto:
    >> phone up IBM and
    >> find out what LICPGMs are installed

    > I'm not sure about USA, but here, in Italy, a BP may ask IBM on their
    > web site to retrive key for a specified serial number if he know the
    > owner and nothing more.

    Not so easy.
    Even if you're a BP you need:
    - the IBM customer number
    - the IBM order number or system number (that's not the serial)
    - that no one is actually administering that customer number