System restore - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on System restore - IBM AS400 ; Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full system ...

  1. System restore

    Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for
    development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went
    south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full
    system back-up (Option 21 from the save menu) and started the system
    restore exercise.

    I'm able to get through the alt-IPL from tape, setting the disk
    configuration and restoring the licensed internal code but I run into
    trouble when it gets to the point of restoring OS400. It seems to load
    just over 1000 objects to the QSYS library when it sends a message to
    the console telling me that I need to make sure the media device is
    clean. I'm using a 4/8 GB SLR5 drive and I've used the cleaner
    cartridge but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried an older full system
    back-up, I even swapped out the tape drive but the same thing keeps
    happening, it gets partially through loading OS400 and then reports a
    media failure.

    I'm sure many of you out there are asking "Are you sure the backup
    tapes were good to begin with?" and I can answer that with a definate
    yes because the older backup was restored without issue to another
    system in preparation for an upgrade to a new box.

    Any advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know where I can find a
    CD with V5R1 of OS400?

  2. Re: System restore

    On Oct 21, 5:39 pm, B Bauer wrote:
    > Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for
    > development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went
    > south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full
    > system back-up (Option 21 from the save menu) and started the system
    > restore exercise.
    >
    > I'm able to get through the alt-IPL from tape, setting the disk
    > configuration and restoring the licensed internal code but I run into
    > trouble when it gets to the point of restoring OS400. It seems to load
    > just over 1000 objects to the QSYS library when it sends a message to
    > the console telling me that I need to make sure the media device is
    > clean. I'm using a 4/8 GB SLR5 drive and I've used the cleaner
    > cartridge but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried an older full system
    > back-up, I even swapped out the tape drive but the same thing keeps
    > happening, it gets partially through loading OS400 and then reports a
    > media failure.
    >
    > I'm sure many of you out there are asking "Are you sure the backup
    > tapes were good to begin with?" and I can answer that with a definate
    > yes because the older backup was restored without issue to another
    > system in preparation for an upgrade to a new box.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know where I can find a
    > CD with V5R1 of OS400?

    What version of os400?? Did you replace your load source disk with
    the same disk drive as you had before?? Is your save on 1 tape only??

  3. Re: System restore

    On Oct 22, 4:34 am, jacko wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 5:39 pm, B Bauer wrote:
    >

    > > Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for
    > > development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went
    > > south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full
    > > system back-up (Option 21 from the save menu) and started the system
    > > restore exercise.

    > > I'm able to get through the alt-IPL from tape, setting the disk
    > > configuration and restoring the licensed internal code but I run into
    > > trouble when it gets to the point of restoring OS400. It seems to load
    > > just over 1000 objects to the QSYS library when it sends a message to
    > > the console telling me that I need to make sure the media device is
    > > clean. I'm using a 4/8 GB SLR5 drive and I've used the cleaner
    > > cartridge but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried an older full system
    > > back-up, I even swapped out the tape drive but the same thing keeps
    > > happening, it gets partially through loading OS400 and then reports a
    > > media failure.

    > > I'm sure many of you out there are asking "Are you sure the backup
    > > tapes were good to begin with?" and I can answer that with a definate
    > > yes because the older backup was restored without issue to another
    > > system in preparation for an upgrade to a new box.

    > > Any advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know where I can find a
    > > CD with V5R1 of OS400?

    > What version of os400?? Did you replace your load source disk with
    > the same disk drive as you had before?? Is your save on 1 tape only??- Hide quoted text -

    The OS version is V5R1.
    I replaced the load source disk with a semi-new drive that I bought
    from the same company I bought the AS400 from I've also contacted them
    for assistance.
    The save is on 2 tapes.

  4. Re: System restore

    On Oct 22, 10:17 am, B Bauer wrote:
    > On Oct 22, 4:34 am, jacko wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 21, 5:39 pm, B Bauer wrote:

    > > > Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for
    > > > development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went
    > > > south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full
    > > > system back-up (Option 21 from the save menu) and started the system
    > > > restore exercise.

    > > > I'm able to get through the alt-IPL from tape, setting the disk
    > > > configuration and restoring the licensed internal code but I run into
    > > > trouble when it gets to the point of restoring OS400. It seems to load
    > > > just over 1000 objects to the QSYS library when it sends a message to
    > > > the console telling me that I need to make sure the media device is
    > > > clean. I'm using a 4/8 GB SLR5 drive and I've used the cleaner
    > > > cartridge but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried an older full system
    > > > back-up, I even swapped out the tape drive but the same thing keeps
    > > > happening, it gets partially through loading OS400 and then reports a
    > > > media failure.

    > > > I'm sure many of you out there are asking "Are you sure the backup
    > > > tapes were good to begin with?" and I can answer that with a definate
    > > > yes because the older backup was restored without issue to another
    > > > system in preparation for an upgrade to a new box.

    > > > Any advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know where I can find a
    > > > CD with V5R1 of OS400?

    > > What version of os400?? Did you replace your load source disk with
    > > the same disk drive as you had before?? Is your save on 1 tape only??- Hide quoted text -

    > The OS version is V5R1.
    > I replaced the load source disk with a semi-new drive that I bought
    > from the same company I bought the AS400 from I've also contacted them
    > for assistance.
    > The save is on 2 tapes.- Hide quoted text -

    Well, here is what I think, your not getting the message or your not
    seeing it to load the second tape where the rest of the qsys objects
    are or your load source disk is not the correct one to run V5R1 in
    your model 600. Do you know how to look at the message on your
    console when it somewhat halts at the 1000 object plateau.

  5. Re: System restore

    When restoring from scratch, you will not have had the opportunity to change
    the delivery of the operator's message queue. Could the dirty tape message
    be an old one that prevents the real "load next tape" message rom appearing?
    Just a thought

    Peter Kinsman

    "B Bauer" wrote in message
    news:1193002782.925204.169110@q3g2000prf.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello everyone, I have an old AS400 model 600 that I use for
    > development here at my home. Last Wednesday my load source drive went
    > south on me. I replaced the drive and pulled out my most recent full
    > system back-up (Option 21 from the save menu) and started the system
    > restore exercise.
    >
    > I'm able to get through the alt-IPL from tape, setting the disk
    > configuration and restoring the licensed internal code but I run into
    > trouble when it gets to the point of restoring OS400. It seems to load
    > just over 1000 objects to the QSYS library when it sends a message to
    > the console telling me that I need to make sure the media device is
    > clean. I'm using a 4/8 GB SLR5 drive and I've used the cleaner
    > cartridge but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried an older full system
    > back-up, I even swapped out the tape drive but the same thing keeps
    > happening, it gets partially through loading OS400 and then reports a
    > media failure.
    >
    > I'm sure many of you out there are asking "Are you sure the backup
    > tapes were good to begin with?" and I can answer that with a definate
    > yes because the older backup was restored without issue to another
    > system in preparation for an upgrade to a new box.
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated. Does anybody know where I can find a
    > CD with V5R1 of OS400?

  6. Re: System restore

    Maybe you need a new cleaning tape? We kept getting the clean message
    and I kept using a cleaning (had not used it 50 times yet) that we had
    had for a while and we just kept getting the message. I unwaraped a
    new cleaning tape & used it and we quit getting the messages.

  7. Re: System restore

    On Oct 23, 5:57 am, that 1 guy wrote:
    > Maybe you need a new cleaning tape? We kept getting the clean message
    > and I kept using a cleaning (had not used it 50 times yet) that we had
    > had for a while and we just kept getting the message. I unwaraped a
    > new cleaning tape & used it and we quit getting the messages.

    Thanks for the responses.

    I don't believe it's asking for a second tape because the entire
    SAVSYS plus a large portion of the SAVLIB *NONSYS fit on the first
    tape. I believe the hardware is fine because it's the same drive
    model, capacity, etc...

    The old cleaning tape theory sounds plausible. I'll give that a shot.

  8. Re: System restore

    That seems to be a common problem. People don't think to flick the guard
    back to check that there is still tape showing.

    Peter Kinsman

    "that 1 guy" wrote in message
    news:1193144251.436235.198230@t8g2000prg.googlegro ups.com...
    > Maybe you need a new cleaning tape? We kept getting the clean message
    > and I kept using a cleaning (had not used it 50 times yet) that we had
    > had for a while and we just kept getting the message. I unwaraped a
    > new cleaning tape & used it and we quit getting the messages.

  9. Re: System restore

    On Oct 23, 9:24 am, "Peter Kinsman"
    wrote:
    > That seems to be a common problem. People don't think to flick the guard
    > back to check that there is still tape showing.
    >
    > Peter Kinsman
    >
    > "that 1 guy" wrote in messagenews:1193144251.436235.198230@t8g2000prg.go oglegroups.com...
    >

    > > Maybe you need a new cleaning tape? We kept getting the clean message
    > > and I kept using a cleaning (had not used it 50 times yet) that we had
    > > had for a while and we just kept getting the message. I unwaraped a
    > > new cleaning tape & used it and we quit getting the messages.- Hide quoted text -

    Hello everyone

    I just wanted to post an update. I've figured out the cause of the
    problem.

    I tried a new cleaning cartridge to no avail and I decided to load
    from the distribution CDs and this was the kicker. After getting
    partially through the OS load yet agian, it popped up a message
    telling me to make sure the optical device was clean. I had run the
    optical cleaner on the drive just prior to attempting the load. What
    are the odds of three different media devices all getting the same
    error message while trying to load the OS? As it turns out, the
    message had nothing to do with the media device being dirty. It was
    the result of trying to use two different hard models on the same SCSI
    chain. It would have been nice if the message had stated that to begin
    with. Go figure.

    The AS/400 model 600 supports model 6713 hard drives and there's a
    label on all drives in the machine that clearly shows "Model 6713" and
    so that's what I ordered as a replacement. After closer examination I
    realized the original drives were not 6713 devices, the label was on
    the mounting bracket, not the drive itself and so I have to believe
    that someone swapped the drive brackets somewhere along the line. The
    original drives are most likely 6813 or 6817 drives but it's difficult
    to tell since there is no model number label on the drives themselvse.
    I moved the new drive to be the last in the bay because apparently the
    AS400 thinks there's something wrong if not all drive bays are drawing
    power. I just left the drive unconfigured. I started the OS restore
    again and it got all the way through loading QSYS and I'm currently
    running the RSTLIB (*NONSYS) as I'm writting this. I won't have as
    much DASD capacity as I did before but at least I have a functioning
    server again.

    I figure it should last at least until the new machine arrives. Thanks
    again for all your responses.

  10. Re: System restore

    > ... The
    > original drives are most likely 6813 or 6817 drives but it's difficult
    > to tell since there is no model number label on the drives themselvse.

    Now your system is back up, try using system service tools (STRSST) to
    determine the model number of the working drives. You could then
    either purchase the correct drive type, or maybe even try to add and
    configure the new drive.

+ Reply to Thread