Navigator and Find (F5) - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Navigator and Find (F5) - IBM AS400 ; In my observation, with iSeries Navigator 2.02.00.01 if I hit F5 it reads all 10,000 pages of an output queue report in order to find something on page 10. At least just double clicking a report (to view it) doesn't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Navigator and Find (F5)

  1. Navigator and Find (F5)

    In my observation, with iSeries Navigator 2.02.00.01 if I hit F5 it
    reads all 10,000 pages of an output queue report in order to find
    something on page 10.

    At least just double clicking a report (to view it) doesn't wait to
    read the entire file first. Last month it did that, though perhaps
    some M.I.S. administrator reconfigured something to correct that (or
    maybe I was up-versioned? I haven't paid attention to version number
    until today).

    Can a search be interrupted, or must I obey its "Please Wait..." ?

    I don't find a way to search within columns, though the Iseries
    workstation program (the green screen Session A, etc.) has this. Is
    the feature just cleverly hidden from users? (Not that I'm a green
    screen fan. It's an impressive example of 1983 technology.)

    I hate to say it but the harder I look, and while I am a VICIOUS
    critic of Microsoft's utter stupidity in numerous regards, I have to
    wonder if IBM is ten times as clueless on PC user operations. These
    are alpha-testing items, an area in which IBM should be the runaway
    leader and undisputed authority. And that's a quite feeble search
    dialog, even though searching is a major user function. IBM ought to
    know that. Surely I'm missing something. Maybe my version is just out
    of date? (By a decade or two?)


  2. Re: Navigator and Find (F5)

    AmendConstitution_ArnoldForPresident wrote:

    > I hate to say it but the harder I look, and while I am a VICIOUS
    > critic of Microsoft's utter stupidity in numerous regards, I have to
    > wonder if IBM is ten times as clueless on PC user operations. These
    > are alpha-testing items, an area in which IBM should be the runaway
    > leader and undisputed authority. And that's a quite feeble search
    > dialog, even though searching is a major user function. IBM ought to
    > know that. Surely I'm missing something. Maybe my version is just out
    > of date? (By a decade or two?)


    I'm not quite certain what you're looking for. Why not simply use
    Microsoft's version of a spooled file scan? It seems to be decades more
    advanced.

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

  3. Re: Navigator and Find (F5)

    On Oct 14, 3:33 am, Thomas wrote:
    > I'm not quite certain what you're looking for. Why not simply use
    > Microsoft's version of a spooled file scan? It seems to be decades more advanced.


    Thank you for your suggestion. I'm interested, but I'm unfamiliar
    with this?


  4. Re: Navigator and Find (F5)

    zofficedepot wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 3:33 am, Thomas wrote:
    >> I'm not quite certain what you're looking for. Why not simply use
    >> Microsoft's version of a spooled file scan? It seems to be decades more advanced.

    >
    > Thank you for your suggestion. I'm interested, but I'm unfamiliar
    > with this?


    Nor am I familiar with it. But the original comment indicated that iNav
    scan was perhaps a decade behind Microsoft's equivalent. AFAIK,
    Microsoft provides no facility at all to scan spooled files. Perhaps the
    original comment of iNav being far behind was misleading?

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

+ Reply to Thread