printer overlay - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on printer overlay - IBM AS400 ; We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains 3 pages. I need to know if the 3 pages do exist on this overlay. How can I verify this? Thanks...

  1. printer overlay

    We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains
    3 pages. I need to know if the 3 pages do exist on this overlay. How
    can I verify this?
    Thanks

  2. Re: printer overlay

    il 10/10/2007 17.13, Scrive garchibald1@cogeco.ca 40682624:
    > We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains
    > 3 pages. I need to know if the 3 pages do exist on this overlay. How
    > can I verify this?
    > Thanks

    IMHO a page overlay cannot contain more than one page, only an AFPDS
    document can contain multiple pages.

  3. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 10, 2:13 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > il 10/10/2007 17.13, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40682624:> We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains
    > > 3 pages. I need to know if the 3 pages do exist on this overlay. How
    > > can I verify this?
    > > Thanks

    > IMHO a page overlay cannot contain more than one page, only an AFPDS
    > document can contain multiple pages.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

  4. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 10, 3:02 pm, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 2:13 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > il 10/10/2007 17.13, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40682624:> We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains
    > > > 3 pages. I need to know if the 3 pages do exist on this overlay. How
    > > > can I verify this?
    > > > Thanks

    > > IMHO a page overlay cannot contain more than one page, only an AFPDS
    > > document can contain multiple pages.

    > > --
    > > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    > I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

    I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    their own page. What do I need to do?

  5. Re: printer overlay

    garchibald1@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 3:02 pm, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    >> On Oct 10, 2:13 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> il 10/10/2007 17.13, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40682624:> We
    >>> have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains

    >>> IMHO a page overlay cannot contain more than one page, only an AFPDS
    >>> document can contain multiple pages.

    >>> --
    >>> Dr.Ugo
    >>> Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >>> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à
    >>> merda
    >>> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers
    >>> loop
    >>> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    >> I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

    > I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    > their own page. What do I need to do?

    You have Format level keyword in prtf DDS to assign overlay with a page

    OVERLAY([(library-name | &library-name-field)/overlay-name] |
    &overlay-name-field]
    position-down | &position-down-field
    position-across | &position-across-field
    [(*ROTATION rotation-field) | &rotation-field-name)])

    I use this means to print certificates of origne with delivery orders.
    Scan(Certificate) >> OVL
    OVL associated with product in Database

    It works fine.

    best regards

    frederic

  6. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 11, 4:45 am, "i.c.r" wrote:
    > garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > > On Oct 10, 3:02 pm, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:

    > >> I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

    > > I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    > > their own page. What do I need to do?

    > You have Format level keyword in prtf DDS to assign overlay with a page
    >
    > OVERLAY([(library-name | &library-name-field)/overlay-name] |
    > &overlay-name-field]
    > position-down | &position-down-field
    > position-across | &position-across-field
    > [(*ROTATION rotation-field) | &rotation-field-name)])
    >
    > I use this means to print certificates of origne with delivery orders.
    > Scan(Certificate) >> OVL
    > OVL associated with product in Database
    >
    > It works fine.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > frederic- Hide quoted text -

    The pages that I need to send are terms and conditions with each P/
    O. There are 3 pages per document. Would I use the overlay on each
    format in the printer file? Each format belongs to each overlay? If
    so, how would an overlay attach to the format?
    Thanks

  7. Re: printer overlay

    garchibald1@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > On Oct 11, 4:45 am, "i.c.r" wrote:
    >> garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:

    >>> I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    >>> their own page. What do I need to do?

    >> You have Format level keyword in prtf DDS to assign overlay with a
    >> page
    >>
    >> OVERLAY([(library-name | &library-name-field)/overlay-name] |
    >> &overlay-name-field]
    >> position-down | &position-down-field
    >> position-across | &position-across-field
    >> [(*ROTATION rotation-field) |
    >> &rotation-field-name)])
    >>
    >> I use this means to print certificates of origne with delivery
    >> orders. Scan(Certificate) >> OVL
    >> OVL associated with product in Database
    >>
    >> It works fine.
    >>
    >> best regards
    >>
    >> frederic- Hide quoted text -

    > The pages that I need to send are terms and conditions with each P/
    > O. There are 3 pages per document. Would I use the overlay on each
    > format in the printer file? Each format belongs to each overlay? If
    > so, how would an overlay attach to the format?
    > Thanks

    You can scan your 3 pages. For each you create 1 ovl : OVL001, OVL002,
    OVL003

    You can define R OVLFMT in your prtf, with OVERLAY keyword and &overlay
    field.

    You print one "data" page or one "data" document, (as you want) and you
    print OVLFMT once with &overly field = OVL001, once with OVL002 and once
    with OVL003.

    best regards

    ff (alias highvalue.fr)

  8. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 11, 11:20 am, "i.c.r" wrote:
    > garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:

    > >> You have Format level keyword in prtf DDS to assign overlay with a
    > >> page

    > >> OVERLAY([(library-name | &library-name-field)/overlay-name] |
    > >> &overlay-name-field]
    > >> position-down | &position-down-field
    > >> position-across | &position-across-field
    > >> [(*ROTATION rotation-field) |
    > >> &rotation-field-name)])

    > >> I use this means to print certificates of origne with delivery
    > >> orders. Scan(Certificate) >> OVL
    > >> OVL associated with product in Database

    > >> It works fine.

    > >> best regards

    > >> frederic- Hide quoted text -

    > > The pages that I need to send are terms and conditions with each P/
    > > O. There are 3 pages per document. Would I use the overlay on each
    > > format in the printer file? Each format belongs to each overlay? If
    > > so, how would an overlay attach to the format?
    > > Thanks

    > You can scan your 3 pages. For each you create 1 ovl : OVL001, OVL002,
    > OVL003
    >
    > You can define R OVLFMT in your prtf, with OVERLAY keyword and &overlay
    > field.
    >
    > You print one "data" page or one "data" document, (as you want) and you
    > print OVLFMT once with &overly field = OVL001, once with OVL002 and once
    > with OVL003.
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > ff (alias highvalue.fr)- Hide quoted text -

    I have attached my printer format for your perusal. Am I on the right
    track?
    *********
    *** USE THESE PARAMETERS TO COMPILE THE PRINTER FILE
    *
    *********
    ***
    *
    *** DEVTYPE - *AFPDS
    *
    *** LPI - 8
    *
    *** CPI - 10
    *
    *** WIDTH - 90
    *
    *** OUTQ - PRTIP70
    *
    *** ROTATION - 0
    *
    *** FR OVERLAY - TNCPO/INTLIB
    *
    *** SAVE - *YES
    *
    *** DRAWER -
    3

    A R FMT OVERLAY(GGALIB/OVERLAY 0 0
    +
    A (*ROTATION
    0))

    How does the overlay name that I want to use get into the "overlay"
    field?
    Thanks

  9. Re: printer overlay

    garchibald1@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > On Oct 11, 11:20 am, "i.c.r" wrote:
    > ************************************************** ******
    > *********
    > *** USE THESE PARAMETERS TO COMPILE THE PRINTER FILE
    > *
    > ************************************************** ******
    > *********
    > ***
    > *
    > *** DEVTYPE - *AFPDS
    > *
    > *** LPI - 8
    > *
    > *** CPI - 10
    > *
    > *** WIDTH - 90
    > *
    > *** OUTQ - PRTIP70
    > *
    > *** ROTATION - 0
    > *

    *** FR OVERLAY - *NONE

    > *
    > *** SAVE - *YES
    > *
    > *** DRAWER -
    > 3
    >
    > A R FMT OVERLAY(GGALIB/OVERLAY 0 0
    > +
    > A (*ROTATION
    > 0))

    A R FMT OVERLAY(&LIB/&OVL 0 0 +
    A (*ROTATION 0))
    A SKIPB(1)
    A LIB 10A P
    A OVL 10A P

    you cannot have 1 overlay of 3 pages. you have to create 3 OVL, 1 per page.

    c eval LIB = "GGALIB"
    c eval OVL = "OVL001"
    c write FMT
    c eval OVL = "OVL002"
    c write FMT
    c eval OVL = "OVL003"
    c write FMT

    > How does the overlay name that I want to use get into the "overlay"
    > field?
    > Thanks

  10. Re: printer overlay

    il 10/10/2007 21.54, Scrive garchibald1@cogeco.ca 40194056:
    > On Oct 10, 3:02 pm, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    >> On Oct 10, 2:13 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> il 10/10/2007 17.13, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40682624:> We have created a printer overlay on our AS400. This overlay contains
    >>> IMHO a page overlay cannot contain more than one page, only an AFPDS
    >>> document can contain multiple pages.
    >>> --
    >>> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >>> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    >>> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    >>> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'

    >> I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

    > I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    > their own page. What do I need to do?

    You cannot have a three-page overlay, you should create three distinct
    overlays and use them in an OVERLAY keyword in the printerfile, either
    with three constants or with just one variable, e.g

    A R PAGE1 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL1...
    A R PAGE2 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL2...
    A R PAGE3 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL3...

    or

    A R PAGE OVERLAY(&PAGEOVL...
    A PAGEOVL 8a P

    then the program should output PAGE1, PAGE2, PAGE3 records to set the
    overlay for the proper page (first case), or evaluate PAGEOVL variable
    and output PAGE record accordingly to the proper page (second case).
    Another way should be using a page-definition afp resource tha does the
    same as above, defining a different page overlay for each page.
    In any case an overlay that defines three pages is useless.

  11. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 14, 6:26 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > il 10/10/2007 21.54, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40194056:
    >

    > > On Oct 10, 3:02 pm, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:

    > >> I have created the printer file as an AFPDS

    > > I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    > > their own page. What do I need to do?

    > You cannot have a three-page overlay, you should create three distinct
    > overlays and use them in an OVERLAY keyword in the printerfile, either
    > with three constants or with just one variable, e.g
    >
    > A R PAGE1 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL1...
    > A R PAGE2 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL2...
    > A R PAGE3 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL3...
    >
    > or
    >
    > A R PAGE OVERLAY(&PAGEOVL...
    > A PAGEOVL 8a P
    >
    > then the program should output PAGE1, PAGE2, PAGE3 records to set the
    > overlay for the proper page (first case), or evaluate PAGEOVL variable
    > and output PAGE record accordingly to the proper page (second case).
    > Another way should be using a page-definition afp resource tha does the
    > same as above, defining a different page overlay for each page.
    > In any case an overlay that defines three pages is useless.
    >
    > --
    > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'- Hide quotedtext -

    Thanks very much for your replys and insight.
    I did in fact use 1 overlay format in my printer file. I added fields
    to the format relating to the overlay name (&overlay) on the overlay
    keyword. In my application program I used a variable which was the
    overlay name field in the format. I then did a write of the format in
    my application program with the name of the overlay. It worked the
    way I wanted it to, 1 overlay, 3 separate pages.
    Thanks again,
    Grant

  12. Re: printer overlay

    On Oct 15, 7:00 am, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 6:26 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > il 10/10/2007 21.54, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40194056:

    > > > I have 3 pages in my overlay. These pages must print separately on
    > > > their own page. What do I need to do?

    > > You cannot have a three-page overlay, you should create three distinct
    > > overlays and use them in an OVERLAY keyword in the printerfile, either
    > > with three constants or with just one variable, e.g

    > > A R PAGE1 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL1...
    > > A R PAGE2 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL2...
    > > A R PAGE3 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL3...

    > > or

    > > A R PAGE OVERLAY(&PAGEOVL...
    > > A PAGEOVL 8a P

    > > then the program should output PAGE1, PAGE2, PAGE3 records to set the
    > > overlay for the proper page (first case), or evaluate PAGEOVL variable
    > > and output PAGE record accordingly to the proper page (second case).
    > > Another way should be using a page-definition afp resource tha does the
    > > same as above, defining a different page overlay for each page.
    > > In any case an overlay that defines three pages is useless.

    > > --
    > > Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    > > Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    > > Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    > > schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks very much for your replys and insight.
    > I did in fact use 1 overlay format in my printer file. I added fields
    > to the format relating to the overlay name (&overlay) on the overlay
    > keyword. In my application program I used a variable which was the
    > overlay name field in the format. I then did a write of the format in
    > my application program with the name of the overlay. It worked the
    > way I wanted it to, 1 overlay, 3 separate pages.
    > Thanks again,
    > Grant

    It is not wise to use the overlay in the manner you have coded.
    Changes could be made in the future that would prevent what you are
    doing, and would not be a bug. What you are doing is not in
    accordance with the MOD:CA specifications. I seriously recommend you
    rethink your decisions and do as was suggested by the others.

    Rodney A Johnson
    Former i5/OS Spool/Print technical team lead (10+ years).

  13. Re: printer overlay

    il 15/10/2007 15.16, Scrive rodjohns@gmail.com 40656656:
    > On Oct 15, 7:00 am, garchiba...@cogeco.ca wrote:
    >> On Oct 14, 6:26 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    >>

    >> wrote:
    >>> il 10/10/2007 21.54, Scrive garchiba...@cogeco.ca 40194056:
    >>> You cannot have a three-page overlay, you should create three distinct
    >>> overlays and use them in an OVERLAY keyword in the printerfile, either
    >>> with three constants or with just one variable, e.g
    >>> A R PAGE1 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL1...
    >>> A R PAGE2 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL2...
    >>> A R PAGE3 OVERLAY(PAGEOVL3...
    >>> or
    >>> A R PAGE OVERLAY(&PAGEOVL...
    >>> A PAGEOVL 8a P
    >>> then the program should output PAGE1, PAGE2, PAGE3 records to set the
    >>> overlay for the proper page (first case), or evaluate PAGEOVL variable
    >>> and output PAGE record accordingly to the proper page (second case).
    >>> Another way should be using a page-definition afp resource tha does the
    >>> same as above, defining a different page overlay for each page.
    >>> In any case an overlay that defines three pages is useless.
    >>> --
    >>> Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli,Modena,ItalyCertifiedUindoscrasherAñe joAlcoolInside
    >>> Spaccamaroni andate a cagare/Spammers not welcome/Spammers vão à merda
    >>> Spamers iros a la mierda/Spamers allez vous faire foutre/Spammers loop
    >>> schijten/Spammers macht Euch vom Acker/Spamerzy wypierdalac'- Hide quoted text -

    >> Thanks very much for your replys and insight.
    >> I did in fact use 1 overlay format in my printer file. I added fields
    >> to the format relating to the overlay name (&overlay) on the overlay
    >> keyword. In my application program I used a variable which was the
    >> overlay name field in the format. I then did a write of the format in
    >> my application program with the name of the overlay. It worked the
    >> way I wanted it to, 1 overlay, 3 separate pages.
    >> Thanks again,
    >> Grant

    > It is not wise to use the overlay in the manner you have coded.
    > Changes could be made in the future that would prevent what you are
    > doing, and would not be a bug. What you are doing is not in
    > accordance with the MOD:CA specifications. I seriously recommend you
    > rethink your decisions and do as was suggested by the others.
    >
    > Rodney A Johnson
    > Former i5/OS Spool/Print technical team lead (10+ years).

    Hi Rodney, did you leave IBM?
    Why did you say that "OVERLAY(&PAGEOVL" is not recommended?
    Why did you say that it's not MOCA compliant?