ViewSavF V2.40 - View Save file on your PC - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on ViewSavF V2.40 - View Save file on your PC - IBM AS400 ; What do want when you get a save file? Yes! Wondering about something in it. ViewSavf can show you something detail in it. ViewSavf is a tool for view a save file form AS/400. Bring your data without machine! download ...

  1. ViewSavF V2.40 - View Save file on your PC

    What do want when you get a save file?
    Yes!
    Wondering about something in it.
    ViewSavf can show you something detail in it.
    ViewSavf is a tool for view a save file form AS/400.

    Bring your data without machine!

    download

    http://74.54.41.146/~julianw/

  2. Re: ViewSavF V2.40 - View Save file on your PC

    Julian wrote:
    > What do want when you get a save file?
    > Yes!
    > Wondering about something in it.
    > ViewSavf can show you something detail in it.
    > ViewSavf is a tool for view a save file form AS/400.
    >
    > Bring your data without machine!
    >

    > download
    >
    > http://74.54.41.146/~julianw/

    What's wrong with DSPSAVF ? And why would I want to see the contents of a
    saved file on a PC if I have a AS400 standing around.
    This is like "Create a problem and try to solve it".

  3. Re: ViewSavF V2.40 - View Save file on your PC -- What value?

    It is useful, just not oft requested, nor required for most. If for
    example, I have a save file named c:\stuff\gne87.savf.bin along with
    several other save files [as binary streams on my PC], I might want to
    be sure I will be transporting the correct file to my System i5. If I
    have to first transport the data, then DSPSAVF at the target system,
    just to see what is in the file, that is a lot of extra work for
    nothing; i.e. if the tool could have displayed the contents or details
    that informed me that the transport could be avoided.
    I typically use file naming to prevent such issues. The origin of my
    naming resolves the frustration from the most irritating scenario; i.e.
    where the release level to which the file can be restored, is higher
    than the target system. If I have a TGTRLS(V5R3M0) save file, and the
    system I am sending to is V5R2M0, that is frustrating, to have sent the
    binary for naught. As noted though, I use names like the following to
    avoid the requirement for ViewSavF. The name gne87.r540.lib.savf.bin
    tells me that the data is from a SAVLIB GNE87 TGTRLS(V5R4M0) /* actually
    TGTRLS(*CURRENT), taken on V5R4M0 */; the .bin extension is not for me,
    but for others, to ensure they are aware of the requirement for BINary
    transport to maintain the integrity of the data.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Pjotr wrote:
    > Julian wrote:
    >> <>

    > What's wrong with DSPSAVF ? And why would I want to see the
    > contents of a saved file on a PC if I have a AS400 standing
    > around. This is like "Create a problem and try to solve it".

+ Reply to Thread