9406-820 Rebuild - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on 9406-820 Rebuild - IBM AS400 ; Hello, I'm about to strip down then rebuild and old 9406 model. This includes putting the software back on. Basically I'm a new AS400 Administrator and I'm looking to use it as test machine. What pitfalls should i look out ...

  1. 9406-820 Rebuild

    Hello,
    I'm about to strip down then rebuild and old 9406 model. This
    includes
    putting the software back on. Basically I'm a new AS400 Administrator
    and I'm looking to use it as test machine.
    What pitfalls should i look out for?

  2. Re: 9406-820 Rebuild

    On Sep 19, 9:09 am, Pol wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm about to strip down then rebuild and old 9406 model. This
    > includes
    > putting the software back on. Basically I'm a new AS400 Administrator
    > and I'm looking to use it as test machine.
    > What pitfalls should i look out for?

    What version of OS you going to use, there are disk drive load source
    requirements by OS.

  3. Re: 9406-820 Rebuild

    On Sep 19, 6:09 am, Pol wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm about to strip down then rebuild and old 9406 model. This
    > includes
    > putting the software back on. Basically I'm a new AS400 Administrator
    > and I'm looking to use it as test machine.
    > What pitfalls should i look out for?

    If you are going to load os/400 make sure that the machine serial
    number matches the license key info for the software. You can install
    os/400 without the license keys but it will keep prompting you for
    them and it is my understanding that when the temporary license
    expires your machine will basically be unusable until you put the
    software license info in. I know the 820's can run up to V5R3 of os/
    400, and I think V5R1 is the oldest version you can run, depending on
    installed hardware options. Or you can put linux on it.

    Chris

  4. Re: 9406-820 Rebuild

    Pol wrote:

    > I'm about to strip down then rebuild and old 9406 model. This
    > includes
    > putting the software back on. Basically I'm a new AS400 Administrator
    > and I'm looking to use it as test machine.
    > What pitfalls should i look out for?

    The part "putting the software back on" implies the system was cleared.
    That implies that the system was taken out of service and _powered off_
    and held in storage for some time.

    Do you know how long the system has been powered off?

    --
    Tom Liotta
    http://zap.to/tl400

+ Reply to Thread