CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME) - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME) - IBM AS400 ; I'm trying to find additional info about the CHGJRN parameter JRNRCV and its option *SAME. I cannot seem to find any information about this. Does anyone here have any input? Have you used this parameter "*SAME" option? Why would you ...

  1. CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME)

    I'm trying to find additional info about the CHGJRN parameter JRNRCV
    and its option *SAME. I cannot seem to find any information about
    this. Does anyone here have any input? Have you used this parameter
    "*SAME" option? Why would you use this parameter option?

    TIA
    that 1 guy

  2. Re: CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME)

    On Sep 19, 9:05 am, that 1 guy wrote:
    > I'm trying to find additional info about the CHGJRN parameter JRNRCV
    > and its option *SAME. I cannot seem to find any information about
    > this. Does anyone here have any input? Have you used this parameter
    > "*SAME" option? Why would you use this parameter option?
    >
    > TIA
    > that 1 guy

    It means "no change". It is used as the default, so you can change
    other parms on the command, without having to know what this value
    actually is. This is pretty much standard on all the IBM CHGxxx
    commands.

  3. Re: CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME)

    il 19/09/2007 15.05, Scrive that 1 guy 40255664:
    > I'm trying to find additional info about the CHGJRN parameter JRNRCV
    > and its option *SAME. I cannot seem to find any information about
    > this. Does anyone here have any input? Have you used this parameter
    > "*SAME" option? Why would you use this parameter option?
    >
    > TIA
    > that 1 guy

    If you want to change something other but the journal receiver, you may
    want to use JRNRCV(*SAME).

  4. Re: CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME)

    Thank you for your replies. I had the feeling that it was to allow
    other parameter changes, but I wanted to hear if others had the same
    thoughts. Thank you once again for your replies.

    peace
    that 1 guy

  5. Re: CHGJRN JRNRCV(*SAME)

    The help text is poor. The text for *SAME should explain that the
    currently attached receiver will remain the same [so entries can
    continue to be deposited into that existing/attached receiver].
    Currently written as "*SAME The value does not change" is about as
    brilliant as the following help text "Job - The job"; makes one feel the
    need to /rap/ the writer on the head, like in the V8 advertisements.
    Some CHGJRN requests require the use of JRCRCV(*GEN), either because
    the attributes of the changed journal somehow must be applied to the
    receiver object itself, or the attribute change would introduce a
    conundrum. For example, a new receiver must be created with the new
    attributes when the prior receiver in the chain should not have
    conflicting attributes; such a case is with receiver size options, where
    each receiver has its fixed set of size options, as those attributes are
    not variable from one journaled entry to the next.
    When there is no reason to change to a new receiver, JRNRCV(*SAME)
    allows journal entries to continue being deposited into the current
    receiver. For example if there is a journal environment that currently
    is setup to delete receivers, I can change the attributes to no longer
    delete, without having to change to which receiver entries are
    deposited: chgjrn qrecovery/qdbjrnfile dltrcv(*no) /* jrnrcv(*same) is
    the default */ Without the ability to specify *SAME, I would have to
    either CRTJRNRCV and name that newly created receiver, or specify *GEN
    to have the system create a new receiver automatically. There is no
    reason for that work, when the receiver is not already either full or at
    some point I am ready to save.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    that 1 guy wrote:
    > I'm trying to find additional info about the CHGJRN parameter JRNRCV
    > and its option *SAME. I cannot seem to find any information about
    > this. Does anyone here have any input? Have you used this parameter
    > "*SAME" option? Why would you use this parameter option?

+ Reply to Thread