How to stop critical system hardware problem messages - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How to stop critical system hardware problem messages - IBM AS400 ; We had a disk unit fail overnight. From the moment the system detected the impending failure, every user signed on to the system kept getting message CPP8987 ("*Attention* A critical system hardware problem has occurred.") every 30 seconds or so ...

  1. How to stop critical system hardware problem messages

    We had a disk unit fail overnight. From the moment the
    system detected the impending failure, every user
    signed on to the system kept getting message CPP8987
    ("*Attention* A critical system hardware problem has
    occurred.") every 30 seconds or so as a break message.
    IBM were notified already and on their way, but we
    would have liked to turn off that annoying break
    message. Is there a way to do it?

  2. Re: How to stop critical system hardware problem messages

    On Sep 14, 11:12 am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    > We had a disk unit fail overnight. From the moment the
    > system detected the impending failure, every user
    > signed on to the system kept getting message CPP8987
    > ("*Attention* A critical system hardware problem has
    > occurred.") every 30 seconds or so as a break message.
    > IBM were notified already and on their way, but we
    > would have liked to turn off that annoying break
    > message. Is there a way to do it?

    If you got into wrkprb and closed the problem I wonder if it would go
    away??
    I am not sure if you could monitor for this message in the system
    reply list or not and then take corrective action
    I am not sure either if you could include the msgid in like the users
    profile startup program maybe to do something special with it or not.
    Another way around it might have been if allowed by your users to
    change there message queues from break to *NOTIFY

  3. Re: How to stop critical system hardware problem messages

    Check out the command CHGSRVA and see who is set to receive "critical
    messages to user"

    jacko wrote:

    >On Sep 14, 11:12 am, Jonathan Ball wrote:
    >> We had a disk unit fail overnight. From the moment the
    >> system detected the impending failure, every user
    >> signed on to the system kept getting message CPP8987
    >> ("*Attention* A critical system hardware problem has
    >> occurred.") every 30 seconds or so as a break message.
    >> IBM were notified already and on their way, but we
    >> would have liked to turn off that annoying break
    >> message. Is there a way to do it?

    >If you got into wrkprb and closed the problem I wonder if it would go
    >away??
    >I am not sure if you could monitor for this message in the system
    >reply list or not and then take corrective action
    >I am not sure either if you could include the msgid in like the users
    >profile startup program maybe to do something special with it or not.
    >Another way around it might have been if allowed by your users to
    >change there message queues from break to *NOTIFY

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

+ Reply to Thread