Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax - IBM AS400 ; I have a client with a remote location that uses a Perle remote control unit to connect terminals and printers attached to the '400. I've removed/replaced all of the devices except for an IBM (Lexmark) 4320 twinax connected printer. They ...

  1. Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    I have a client with a remote location that uses a Perle remote
    control unit to connect terminals and printers attached to the '400.
    I've removed/replaced all of the devices except for an IBM (Lexmark)
    4320 twinax connected printer. They want to keep the printer. Does
    anyone know of a solution (print server, twinax to parallel) that will
    allow me to eliminate this last twinax device and get rid of the
    remote line/control unit?

  2. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    On Sep 14, 2:11 pm, Scott Coffey wrote:
    > I have a client with a remote location that uses a Perle remote
    > control unit to connect terminals and printers attached to the '400.
    > I've removed/replaced all of the devices except for an IBM (Lexmark)
    > 4320 twinax connected printer. They want to keep the printer. Does
    > anyone know of a solution (print server, twinax to parallel) that will
    > allow me to eliminate this last twinax device and get rid of the
    > remote line/control unit?

    We moved a load of twinax printers (4247's, 6400's, etc.) off of Perle
    494 controllers and onto their own individual Axis 5670e print
    servers. However, we only did this with those printers that had both
    parallel and twinax connectors. They worked well, most of the time,
    but were not as robust as when attached to the Perle. Anyway, would
    it be such a bad thing if they kept that one printer attached to the
    Perle?

    You can find Axis at www.axis.com. When I started looking to replace
    our Perle's (forced to do so by head office) a few years ago, I
    emailed Axis and found them very helpful. They even provided flash
    updates specifically for some problems/requirements we had.

    There are probably other solutions out there, but that is what we went
    with.

    Hope that helps.

  3. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    Hi Scott

    There is a small end BOS eTwinax controller (TwinPrint) (1 - 3 device)
    that allows you to plug in twinax one side and stand ethernet (using
    TN5250e over IP emulation) these are a bit bulky but very reliable.

    Cheers, Brad

  4. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    Thanks for the replies xyzzy and Brad.

    The reason I want to get them off the Perle remote controller is
    because it's twenty years old and would be a pain to replace and
    reconfigure... especially since there is a requirement to have at
    least one dumb terminal attached to configure it with, and all the
    dumb terminals are gone from this location.

    Good to hear that there are at least two known working solutions out
    there.

  5. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    Meh. The printer I'm working with is twinax only, so the Axis print
    server won't work.

    The BOS unit looks good, but Jesus... it's over $1000 bucks!

    Any other solutions out there?

  6. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    On 17 Sep 2007 08:18:03 -0500, Scott Coffey wrote:
    > Meh. The printer I'm working with is twinax only, so the Axis print
    > server won't work.
    >
    > The BOS unit looks good, but Jesus... it's over $1000 bucks!
    >
    > Any other solutions out there?

    Replace the printer? (:

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

  7. Re: Get IBM 4320 printer off of twinax

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 08:52:10 -0500, "Peter H. Coffin"
    wrote:

    >On 17 Sep 2007 08:18:03 -0500, Scott Coffey wrote:
    >> Meh. The printer I'm working with is twinax only, so the Axis print
    >> server won't work.
    >>
    >> The BOS unit looks good, but Jesus... it's over $1000 bucks!
    >>
    >> Any other solutions out there?

    >Replace the printer? (:

    Heh. That's pretty much where we stand.

    The client has decided to keep the remote control unit and twinax
    printer until either the remote control unit or the printer breaks. At
    that point, replacing either would = the cost of a replacement
    network-capable printer.

+ Reply to Thread