Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400 - IBM AS400 ; Hi, I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a guest. The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on it that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately, ...

  1. Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Hi,

    I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a guest.
    The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on it
    that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately, the
    S/36 data files will become imported into some kind of database or web-based
    application. Naturally, I don't have PC support available to me (because
    that would make this way too easy).

    Anyone know of the best way possible to get the data off the 36 and onto a
    PC? I've done this with PC Support YEARS ago when it was a true System/36
    machine but I haven't done it since and really don't have a clue about what
    to do now. I have FTp'ed into the current machine, but have no idea where I
    should look for the S/36 data files (evidently they're not just laying
    around for the user to find, like they were on the "real" 36 machines).

    I'm sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but if there's anyone
    who thinks they can help, I'm certain I can find out whatever else is
    needed. Thanks in advance.

    Mike

  2. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    is box running ssp only? or dual os/400/ssp? we can assist either
    way drop me a note or call me joe leblanc www.michsoft.com

    On Sep 9, 9:10 pm, "Mike Scofield" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a guest.
    > The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on it
    > that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately, the
    > S/36 data files will become imported into some kind of database or web-based
    > application. Naturally, I don't have PC support available to me (because
    > that would make this way too easy).
    >
    > Anyone know of the best way possible to get the data off the 36 and onto a
    > PC? I've done this with PC Support YEARS ago when it was a true System/36
    > machine but I haven't done it since and really don't have a clue about what
    > to do now. I have FTp'ed into the current machine, but have no idea where I
    > should look for the S/36 data files (evidently they're not just laying
    > around for the user to find, like they were on the "real" 36 machines).
    >
    > I'm sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but if there's anyone
    > who thinks they can help, I'm certain I can find out whatever else is
    > needed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike

  3. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    On Sep 9, 9:10 pm, "Mike Scofield" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a guest.
    > The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on it
    > that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately, the
    > S/36 data files will become imported into some kind of database or web-based
    > application. Naturally, I don't have PC support available to me (because
    > that would make this way too easy).
    >
    > Anyone know of the best way possible to get the data off the 36 and onto a
    > PC? I've done this with PC Support YEARS ago when it was a true System/36
    > machine but I haven't done it since and really don't have a clue about what
    > to do now. I have FTp'ed into the current machine, but have no idea where I
    > should look for the S/36 data files (evidently they're not just laying
    > around for the user to find, like they were on the "real" 36 machines).
    >
    > I'm sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but if there's anyone
    > who thinks they can help, I'm certain I can find out whatever else is
    > needed. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike

    The S/36 files are in a special library ("directory" from the PC),
    usually QS36F.

  4. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    That is if you are running in the S/36 environment rather than as a guest
    SSP machine. To OS/400 the guest machine itself appears as single object of
    type *M36 and the configuration appears as one or more ojects of type
    *M36CFG. The only communication with the guest machine is through the
    internal LAN.

    Peter Kinsman

    "Graybeard" wrote in message
    news:1189423790.135392.198280@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Sep 9, 9:10 pm, "Mike Scofield" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a
    >> guest.
    >> The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on it
    >> that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately,
    >> the
    >> S/36 data files will become imported into some kind of database or
    >> web-based
    >> application. Naturally, I don't have PC support available to me (because
    >> that would make this way too easy).
    >>
    >> Anyone know of the best way possible to get the data off the 36 and onto
    >> PC? I've done this with PC Support YEARS ago when it was a true
    >> System/36
    >> machine but I haven't done it since and really don't have a clue about
    >> what
    >> to do now. I have FTp'ed into the current machine, but have no idea
    >> where I
    >> should look for the S/36 data files (evidently they're not just laying
    >> around for the user to find, like they were on the "real" 36 machines).
    >>
    >> I'm sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but if there's
    >> anyone
    >> who thinks they can help, I'm certain I can find out whatever else is
    >> needed. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > The S/36 files are in a special library ("directory" from the PC),
    > usually QS36F.

  5. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Some great answers, thank you.

    I must be running in the S/36 environment (and I think I remember setting
    the machine up that way when I first configured it) because S/36 commands
    work on the OS/400 command line.

    I also know I've worked with the ILAN before, so that seems to suggest the
    same thing. Just today I saw a directory/library called QS36F and as near
    as I can tell (not being all that familiar with the way the thing structures
    its files/libraries), that library was empty.

    Thanks again!

    "Peter Kinsman" wrote in message
    news:N7aFi.96473$g.89144@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk ...
    > That is if you are running in the S/36 environment rather than as a guest
    > SSP machine. To OS/400 the guest machine itself appears as single object
    > of type *M36 and the configuration appears as one or more ojects of type
    > *M36CFG. The only communication with the guest machine is through the
    > internal LAN.
    >
    > Peter Kinsman
    >
    > "Graybeard" wrote in message
    > news:1189423790.135392.198280@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >> On Sep 9, 9:10 pm, "Mike Scofield" wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a 9402 OS/400 box that's running a System/36 SSP machine as a
    >>> guest.
    >>> The box is connected to a Windows-based LAN. The 36 has data files on
    >>> it
    >>> that I want to migrate/move/export/copy/whatever to a PC. Ultimately,
    >>> the
    >>> S/36 data files will become imported into some kind of database or
    >>> web-based
    >>> application. Naturally, I don't have PC support available to me
    >>> (because
    >>> that would make this way too easy).
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of the best way possible to get the data off the 36 and onto
    >>> PC? I've done this with PC Support YEARS ago when it was a true
    >>> System/36
    >>> machine but I haven't done it since and really don't have a clue about
    >>> what
    >>> to do now. I have FTp'ed into the current machine, but have no idea
    >>> where I
    >>> should look for the S/36 data files (evidently they're not just laying
    >>> around for the user to find, like they were on the "real" 36 machines).
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure I haven't provided nearly enough information but if there's
    >>> anyone
    >>> who thinks they can help, I'm certain I can find out whatever else is
    >>> needed. Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> The S/36 files are in a special library ("directory" from the PC),
    >> usually QS36F.

  6. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    I haven't worked with S/36E for many years, but try this. Pick a
    file you know exists in S/36 mode. Then run from the command line:
    WRKOBJ *ALL/filename
    You should get a list of all instances of this file on the system,
    along with the library names. The default library for the S/36 files
    can be changed (system value?), but I don't remember where it gets
    set. FTP should get the file, but any "packed decimal" fields may
    come across as unusable characters. Since its a "flat" file, the data
    will be seen as one big char field.

  7. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Hi,

    The most simple way is to save the files to tape in the S/36 guest with the
    SAVE command.
    Than switch to AS400 and do a RSTS36F.

    HTH. Cheers.

    Graybeard wrote:
    > I haven't worked with S/36E for many years, but try this. Pick a
    > file you know exists in S/36 mode. Then run from the command line:
    > WRKOBJ *ALL/filename
    > You should get a list of all instances of this file on the system,
    > along with the library names. The default library for the S/36 files
    > can be changed (system value?), but I don't remember where it gets
    > set. FTP should get the file, but any "packed decimal" fields may
    > come across as unusable characters. Since its a "flat" file, the data
    > will be seen as one big char field.

  8. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    The Default files library is one of the S36 environment variables displayed
    by DSPS36, but in many respects is irrelevant for the current discussion.
    First, the internal LAN needs to connect a file on the guest machine to any
    file in any library within OS/400. When the file, program or procedure has
    been squirted down the LAN, ityou can use FTP to put is on the PC. I have
    just sent Mike the emails I sent him originally in February 2001.

    Peter

    "Graybeard" wrote in message
    news:1189512152.212403.236510@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >I haven't worked with S/36E for many years, but try this. Pick a
    > file you know exists in S/36 mode. Then run from the command line:
    > WRKOBJ *ALL/filename
    > You should get a list of all instances of this file on the system,
    > along with the library names. The default library for the S/36 files
    > can be changed (system value?), but I don't remember where it gets
    > set. FTP should get the file, but any "packed decimal" fields may
    > come across as unusable characters. Since its a "flat" file, the data
    > will be seen as one big char field.

  9. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Well...

    Peter is not only quite the gentleman, he has a heck of a memory. *I* don't
    even remember asking about this before!

    Thank you very much one and all, especially Peter. I'm in the middle of
    doing some work on this very thing with Joe LeBlanc who also posts here and
    who is also a wonderful resource. I will continue to watch the group and
    see if anyone else has ideas while I move forward with Joe's
    assistance..thank you all again!

    Mike

    "Peter Kinsman" wrote in message
    news:bmwFi.193639$p7.3193@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > The Default files library is one of the S36 environment variables
    > displayed by DSPS36, but in many respects is irrelevant for the current
    > discussion. First, the internal LAN needs to connect a file on the guest
    > machine to any file in any library within OS/400. When the file, program
    > or procedure has been squirted down the LAN, ityou can use FTP to put is
    > on the PC. I have just sent Mike the emails I sent him originally in
    > February 2001.
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Graybeard" wrote in message
    > news:1189512152.212403.236510@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>I haven't worked with S/36E for many years, but try this. Pick a
    >> file you know exists in S/36 mode. Then run from the command line:
    >> WRKOBJ *ALL/filename
    >> You should get a list of all instances of this file on the system,
    >> along with the library names. The default library for the S/36 files
    >> can be changed (system value?), but I don't remember where it gets
    >> set. FTP should get the file, but any "packed decimal" fields may
    >> come across as unusable characters. Since its a "flat" file, the data
    >> will be seen as one big char field.

  10. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Mike

    I have just noticed that you are using a different email address, so have
    you received the emails from 2001 yet?

    Peter

    "Mike Scofield" wrote in message
    news:mrOdnc0z4OYujXrbnZ2dnUVZ_uOmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Well...
    >
    > Peter is not only quite the gentleman, he has a heck of a memory. *I*
    > don't even remember asking about this before!
    >
    > Thank you very much one and all, especially Peter. I'm in the middle of
    > doing some work on this very thing with Joe LeBlanc who also posts here
    > and who is also a wonderful resource. I will continue to watch the group
    > and see if anyone else has ideas while I move forward with Joe's
    > assistance..thank you all again!
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Peter Kinsman" wrote in message
    > news:bmwFi.193639$p7.3193@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    >> The Default files library is one of the S36 environment variables
    >> displayed by DSPS36, but in many respects is irrelevant for the current
    >> discussion. First, the internal LAN needs to connect a file on the guest
    >> machine to any file in any library within OS/400. When the file, program
    >> or procedure has been squirted down the LAN, ityou can use FTP to put is
    >> on the PC. I have just sent Mike the emails I sent him originally in
    >> February 2001.
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>
    >> "Graybeard" wrote in message
    >> news:1189512152.212403.236510@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >>>I haven't worked with S/36E for many years, but try this. Pick a
    >>> file you know exists in S/36 mode. Then run from the command line:
    >>> WRKOBJ *ALL/filename
    >>> You should get a list of all instances of this file on the system,
    >>> along with the library names. The default library for the S/36 files
    >>> can be changed (system value?), but I don't remember where it gets
    >>> set. FTP should get the file, but any "packed decimal" fields may
    >>> come across as unusable characters. Since its a "flat" file, the data
    >>> will be seen as one big char field.

  11. Re: Files on S/36 machine running on AS/400

    Different yes, but they go to the same place. One conglomerate taking over
    the other, and at least letting us use either address for now. I have
    indeed received the other emails. Thanks for noticing!

    Mike

    "Peter Kinsman" wrote in message
    news:OENFi.107111$g.58763@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > Mike
    >
    > I have just noticed that you are using a different email address, so have
    > you received the emails from 2001 yet?
    >
    > Peter
    >
    > "Mike Scofield" wrote in message
    > news:mrOdnc0z4OYujXrbnZ2dnUVZ_uOmnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Well...
    >>
    >> Peter is not only quite the gentleman, he has a heck of a memory. *I*
    >> don't even remember asking about this before!
    >>
    >> Thank you very much one and all, especially Peter. I'm in the middle of
    >> doing some work on this very thing with Joe LeBlanc who also posts here
    >> and who is also a wonderful resource. I will continue to watch the group
    >> and see if anyone else has ideas while I move forward with Joe's
    >> assistance..thank you all again!
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >> "Peter Kinsman" wrote in message
    >> news:bmwFi.193639$p7.3193@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    >>> The Default files library is one of the S36 environment variables
    >>> displayed by DSPS36, but in many respects is irrelevant for the current
    >>> discussion. First, the internal LAN needs to connect a file on the guest
    >>> machine to any file in any library within OS/400. When the file,
    >>> program or procedure has been squirted down the LAN, ityou can use FTP
    >>> to put is on the PC. I have just sent Mike the emails I sent him
    >>> originally in February 2001.
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>>
    >>> "Graybeard" wrote in message
    >>> news:1189512152.212403.236510@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...