Qshell - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Qshell - IBM AS400 ; Hi everyone, Just a simple question about the Unix Qshell environment on the AS400. Can the Unix commands access the standard AS400 libraries created with CRTDIR or will they only work on the "/" Unix filesystem? Unfortunately PASE is not ...

  1. Qshell

    Hi everyone,

    Just a simple question about the Unix Qshell environment on the AS400.
    Can the Unix commands access the standard AS400 libraries created with
    CRTDIR or will they only work on the "/" Unix filesystem?

    Unfortunately PASE is not currently installed on my system so I cannot
    get answers by simply trying things.

    Thanks, Elliot

  2. Re: Qshell

    Elliot wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Just a simple question about the Unix Qshell environment on the AS400.
    > Can the Unix commands access the standard AS400 libraries created with
    > CRTDIR or will they only work on the "/" Unix filesystem?
    >
    > Unfortunately PASE is not currently installed on my system so I cannot
    > get answers by simply trying things.

    I'd suggest reading up on the Integrated File System (IFS). It provides
    access to the library file system (QSYS.LIB), the QOpenSys file system,
    the root (/) file system, and others.

    A PDF:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../ifs/rzaax.pdf
    Link to IFS info:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...aaxkickoff.htm

    Snippet from Qshell info:
    "Qshell provides an extensible command environment that allows you to:

    * Manage files in any file system supported by the Integrated File System."
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...zahz/intro.htm

    AFAIK you do not need PASE installed to use Qshell. Also most libraries
    are probably created using CRTLIB.

    --
    Karl Hanson

  3. Re: Qshell

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:01:20 -0700, Elliot wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Just a simple question about the Unix Qshell environment on the AS400.
    > Can the Unix commands access the standard AS400 libraries created with
    > CRTDIR or will they only work on the "/" Unix filesystem?
    >
    > Unfortunately PASE is not currently installed on my system so I cannot
    > get answers by simply trying things.

    $ ls -l /qsys.lib/phcoffin.lib/hextest.file/hextest.mbr
    -rwx---rwx 1 QPGMR 0 3084 Jul 3 10:57 /qsys.lib/phcoffin.lib/hextest.file/hextest.mbr
    $ exit

    DSPFD PHCOFFIN/HEXTEST

    9/06/07 Display File Description
    DSPFD Command Input
    File . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILE HEXTEST
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PHCOFFIN
    Type of information . . . . . . . . . . . . : TYPE *ALL
    File attributes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILEATR *ALL
    System . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : SYSTEM *LCL
    File Description Header
    File . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILE HEXTEST
    Library . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PHCOFFIN
    Type of file . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Physical
    File type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FILETYPE *DATA
    Auxiliary storage pool ID . . . . . . . . . : 00001

    Some commands may return different kinds of results than you may expect,
    but they do work. You just need to specify the path like

    /qsys.lib/MYLIB.lib/MYFILE.lib/MYMEMBER.mbr

    to get at it. You can also get at the Document library (/QDLS/wahtever)
    and File Server File System (/QFileSvr.400/whatever) that way as well.

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

  4. Re: Qshell

    Thanks for the information
    Elliot

  5. Re: Qshell

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 16:04:35 -0500, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
    > Some commands may return different kinds of results than you may expect,
    > but they do work. You just need to specify the path like
    >
    > /qsys.lib/MYLIB.lib/MYFILE.lib/MYMEMBER.mbr
    >
    > to get at it. You can also get at the Document library (/QDLS/wahtever)
    > and File Server File System (/QFileSvr.400/whatever) that way as well.

    Argh. Reading back always finds the typo... That should obviously be

    /qsys.lib/MYLIB.lib/MYFILE.file/MYMEMBER.mbr
    ----

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.