Connect DB2 from Solaris - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Connect DB2 from Solaris - IBM AS400 ; Hi NG, I want to connect an AS400/DB2 from a solaris workstation using perl. So I downloaded the solaris db2 client and installed it. Then I downloaded the DBI: B2 perl module, compiled it and installed it. Now when I ...

  1. Connect DB2 from Solaris

    Hi NG,

    I want to connect an AS400/DB2 from a solaris workstation using perl.

    So I downloaded the solaris db2 client and installed it.

    Then I downloaded the DBI:B2 perl module, compiled it and installed it.

    Now when I try to set up a connection thru the db2 cli I always get an
    error which says, that there is a license problem. Do I have to buy the
    DB2 connect for iSeries only to connect to the DB2 via perl?

    Regards

    Volker Jordan

  2. Re: Connect DB2 from Solaris

    Volker Jordan writes:

    > Now when I try to set up a connection thru the db2 cli I always get an
    > error which says, that there is a license problem. Do I have to buy the
    > DB2 connect for iSeries only to connect to the DB2 via perl?

    I believe that the native driver requires this.

    I also believe that the Java driver in the Java Toolbox (search for
    jt400 if this is intereting for you) does not require this, but I
    cannot find it now.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: Connect DB2 from Solaris

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:53:27 +0200, Volker Jordan wrote:
    > Hi NG,
    >
    > I want to connect an AS400/DB2 from a solaris workstation using perl.
    >
    > So I downloaded the solaris db2 client and installed it.
    >
    > Then I downloaded the DBI:B2 perl module, compiled it and installed it.
    >
    > Now when I try to set up a connection thru the db2 cli I always get an
    > error which says, that there is a license problem. Do I have to buy the
    > DB2 connect for iSeries only to connect to the DB2 via perl?

    You'll need to build against the DB2 libraries in the sqllib directory
    from some installation of a DB2 client. I don't think it's particularly
    fussy about which. I've had luck with full DB2 installs and just
    Connect. See http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/ for
    instructions on building DBI:B2.

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

  4. Re: Connect DB2 from Solaris

    Am Thu, 06 Sep 2007 20:28:42 +0200 schrieb Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen:

    > Volker Jordan writes:
    >
    >> Now when I try to set up a connection thru the db2 cli I always get an
    >> error which says, that there is a license problem. Do I have to buy the
    >> DB2 connect for iSeries only to connect to the DB2 via perl?

    > I believe that the native driver requires this.
    >
    > I also believe that the Java driver in the Java Toolbox (search for
    > jt400 if this is intereting for you) does not require this, but I
    > cannot find it now.

    I already use this driver for my J2EE apps, but I now need a perl
    connection.

  5. Re: Connect DB2 from Solaris

    Am Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:26:29 -0500 schrieb Peter H. Coffin:

    > You'll need to build against the DB2 libraries in the sqllib directory
    > from some installation of a DB2 client. I don't think it's particularly
    > fussy about which. I've had luck with full DB2 installs and just
    > Connect. See http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/ for
    > instructions on building DBI:B2.

    and you dont have a special license on the AS400 or the workstation?

  6. Re: Connect DB2 from Solaris

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:22:57 +0200, Volker Jordan wrote:
    > Am Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:26:29 -0500 schrieb Peter H. Coffin:
    >
    >> You'll need to build against the DB2 libraries in the sqllib directory
    >> from some installation of a DB2 client. I don't think it's particularly
    >> fussy about which. I've had luck with full DB2 installs and just
    >> Connect. See http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/perl/ for
    >> instructions on building DBI:B2.

    > and you dont have a special license on the AS400 or the workstation?

    I believe the special license for the workstation is implicit in the the
    DB2 installation you're building the perl against. It's not like you can
    pick up the compiled DBI:B2 bits and move them to a machine that
    doesn't have DB2 installed on it, and expect it to work.

    I'm also pretty sure that the AS/400 licensing is taken care of by
    having DB2 for iSeries installed. But I'm sure there's far more
    knowleable people with regard to licensing issues than I. I just write
    programs on and around AS/400s, I don't administrate them.

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.