differences between V4R3 and release V5R4 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on differences between V4R3 and release V5R4 - IBM AS400 ; Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between V4R3 and the current release(V5R4)? I know that support for V4R3 was stopped....

  1. differences between V4R3 and release V5R4

    Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between V4R3 and the
    current release(V5R4)? I know that support for V4R3 was stopped.

  2. Re: differences between V4R3 and release V5R4

    This is just like asking what's the difference in Windows 3.1 and Vista...

    Well that small bit of info is in the readme files for V4R4, V4R5, V5R1,
    V5R2, V5R3 and finally V5R4. You will need to review ALL of those docs
    to cover your bases.

    What I have found in very general terms is if your apps are pretty
    straight forward CL and RPG, you should be fine. If you are running
    S36 Virtual Machines or OFFICE then you need to move off those before
    going to past V4R5.

    Robert wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between V4R3 and the
    > current release(V5R4)? I know that support for V4R3 was stopped.

  3. Re: differences between V4R3 and release V5R4

    il 31/08/2007 18.04, Scrive Kirk Goins 40375864:
    > This is just like asking what's the difference in Windows 3.1 and Vista...
    >
    > Well that small bit of info is in the readme files for V4R4, V4R5, V5R1,
    > V5R2, V5R3 and finally V5R4. You will need to review ALL of those docs
    > to cover your bases.

    Maybe more and more! :-)
    I just checked that SQL reference V4R4 is 656 pages, while for V5R4 is
    more than twice: 1358 pages (I haven't got V4R3 one).
    ILE RPG reference for V4R4 is 767 pages, while V5R3 is 936.
    And so on and so on.

    > What I have found in very general terms is if your apps are pretty
    > straight forward CL and RPG, you should be fine. If you are running S36
    > Virtual Machines or OFFICE then you need to move off those before going
    > to past V4R5.

    Also HTTP server original is no more present starting from V5R3, RMCobol
    too.

  4. Re: differences between V4R3 and release V5R4

    On Aug 31, 3:39 pm, Robert wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between V4R3 and the
    > current release(V5R4)? I know that support for V4R3 was stopped.

    Theres a few little things in there too, like 6 digits for spoolfiles
    not 4 where calls to apis may no longer work. You could read all the
    notices & see (guess) if they affect you - or just whack the existing
    system onto your new box for testing & then fix problems as they
    appear. If you have 3rd party software you need to check with its
    suppliers.

    Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread