iSeries backup question - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on iSeries backup question - IBM AS400 ; Hi. I'm using OS400 backup procedures. Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup. Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved. There is an information about library name and how many objects were or were ...

  1. iSeries backup question

    Hi.

    I'm using OS400 backup procedures.
    Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup.
    Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved.
    There is an information about library name and how many objects were
    or
    were not saved.

    Problem is that I can't find out how to check which objects were not
    saved.
    I've configured backup to print detailed report. It creates QPJOBLOG
    spool file with lot of inforation but it's difficult to find list of
    non-saved objects.

    Is there a way to find out which were not saved ?

    Regards,
    Tomasz

  2. Re: iSeries backup question

    CHGJOBD QEZBACKUP LOG(4 20 *seclvl)

    tomasz wrote in news:1188505583.577492.109790
    @i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    --
    Ad,

    What's The Use Of Getting Sober
    (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)

  3. Re: iSeries backup question

    On Aug 30, 1:26 pm, tomasz wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm using OS400 backup procedures.
    > Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup.
    > Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved.
    > There is an information about library name and how many objects were
    > or
    > were not saved.
    >
    > Problem is that I can't find out how to check which objects were not
    > saved.
    > I've configured backup to print detailed report. It creates QPJOBLOG
    > spool file with lot of inforation but it's difficult to find list of
    > non-saved objects.
    >
    > Is there a way to find out which were not saved ?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tomasz

    Change the save command to output the save to *OUTFILE using *ERR as
    the parameter for INFTYPE. This will create a file containing all
    objects that did not save. Or use *OBJ as the INFTYPE. This will
    create a file listing all objects procesed (saved or not) that can be
    queried to show unsaved objects or whatever else you'd want to query
    on. I do a *REPLACE on the outfile so it is fresh after every save.

    HTH,

    Thad Rizzi

  4. Re: iSeries backup question

    Hi.
    Save commands in job scheduler looks like:
    RUNBCKUP BCKUPOPT(*DAILY) co I can't change any SAV* parameter.
    Any idea?

    Regards,
    Tomasz

    Thad Rizzi pisze:
    > On Aug 30, 1:26 pm, tomasz wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I'm using OS400 backup procedures.
    >> Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup.
    >> Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved.
    >> There is an information about library name and how many objects were
    >> or
    >> were not saved.
    >>
    >> Problem is that I can't find out how to check which objects were not
    >> saved.
    >> I've configured backup to print detailed report. It creates QPJOBLOG
    >> spool file with lot of inforation but it's difficult to find list of
    >> non-saved objects.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to find out which were not saved ?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Tomasz

    > Change the save command to output the save to *OUTFILE using *ERR as
    > the parameter for INFTYPE. This will create a file containing all
    > objects that did not save. Or use *OBJ as the INFTYPE. This will
    > create a file listing all objects procesed (saved or not) that can be
    > queried to show unsaved objects or whatever else you'd want to query
    > on. I do a *REPLACE on the outfile so it is fresh after every save.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

  5. Re: iSeries backup question

    il 30/08/2007 22.26, Scrive tomasz 40375864:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm using OS400 backup procedures.
    > Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup.
    > Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved.
    > There is an information about library name and how many objects were
    > or
    > were not saved.
    >
    > Problem is that I can't find out how to check which objects were not
    > saved.
    > I've configured backup to print detailed report. It creates QPJOBLOG
    > spool file with lot of inforation but it's difficult to find list of
    > non-saved objects.
    >
    > Is there a way to find out which were not saved ?

    Using operational assistant backup you can specify a backup exit-program
    on the EXITPGM parameter of CHGBCKUP command for each back-up option
    (*DAILY *WEEKLY *MONTHLY), the program may be the same for any option.
    The program will be called before and after the backup with a fixed
    parameter list, refer to
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/XEZBCKUP.htm
    for the complete documentation.
    When the program is called *after with a return code difeerent from
    CPC1E62 it means that something went wrong during backup. At this event
    the exit program should DSPOBJD *all/*all *outfile and select from the
    outfile the objects that have not the same volume, that appear in input
    parameters, and have a save date/time that's not compatible with the
    actual date/time, a date/time not included between the time the program
    was called *BEFORE and the time the program was called *after.
    The selection as above includes all objects, so the objects that were
    not included in the back-up otion too. So you should have a method to
    omit objects that were not included in the backup either on dspobjd
    command or during the selection. The information about library backup
    planning, is held in QEZBACKUPL *USRIDX, that lists libraries that have
    were omitted from a backup option, eg if a library has to be saved only
    *MONTHLY will have options flags set to 001, a library that have never
    to be saved will have options flags set to 000. So the first flag is set
    to 1 if *daily was specified, the second for *weekly and the third for
    *monthly.
    The same can be done for folders, but the information is held in
    QEZBACKUPF *USRIDX in the same fashion, while for IFS directory there's
    no list to check.
    To have an idea how those *usridx are made DMPOBJ OBJ(QEZBACKUPL)
    OBJTYPE(*USRIDX) and look at the QPSRVDMP spooled file in the current
    job. To access usridx objects you can use usridx apis, either to get
    usridx attributes (as entry length) and to get each entry value. Refer
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../apis/obj4.htm

  6. Re: iSeries backup question

    Hi.

    Thanks for information, it was very helpfull.
    Unfortunatelly I don't know how to read *USRIDX file to get list of
    libraries which are backed up.

    Regards,
    Tomasz

    Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    > il 30/08/2007 22.26, Scrive tomasz 40375864:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I'm using OS400 backup procedures.
    >> Each night QEZBKT.... job starts and perform backup.
    >> Then I see in QHST log list of libraries which was saved.
    >> There is an information about library name and how many objects were
    >> or
    >> were not saved.
    >>
    >> Problem is that I can't find out how to check which objects were not
    >> saved.
    >> I've configured backup to print detailed report. It creates QPJOBLOG
    >> spool file with lot of inforation but it's difficult to find list of
    >> non-saved objects.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to find out which were not saved ?

    > Using operational assistant backup you can specify a backup exit-program
    > on the EXITPGM parameter of CHGBCKUP command for each back-up option
    > (*DAILY *WEEKLY *MONTHLY), the program may be the same for any option.
    > The program will be called before and after the backup with a fixed
    > parameter list, refer to
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...s/XEZBCKUP.htm
    > for the complete documentation.
    > When the program is called *after with a return code difeerent from
    > CPC1E62 it means that something went wrong during backup. At this event
    > the exit program should DSPOBJD *all/*all *outfile and select from the
    > outfile the objects that have not the same volume, that appear in input
    > parameters, and have a save date/time that's not compatible with the
    > actual date/time, a date/time not included between the time the program
    > was called *BEFORE and the time the program was called *after.
    > The selection as above includes all objects, so the objects that were
    > not included in the back-up otion too. So you should have a method to
    > omit objects that were not included in the backup either on dspobjd
    > command or during the selection. The information about library backup
    > planning, is held in QEZBACKUPL *USRIDX, that lists libraries that have
    > were omitted from a backup option, eg if a library has to be saved only
    > *MONTHLY will have options flags set to 001, a library that have never
    > to be saved will have options flags set to 000. So the first flag is set
    > to 1 if *daily was specified, the second for *weekly and the third for
    > *monthly.
    > The same can be done for folders, but the information is held in
    > QEZBACKUPF *USRIDX in the same fashion, while for IFS directory there's
    > no list to check.
    > To have an idea how those *usridx are made DMPOBJ OBJ(QEZBACKUPL)
    > OBJTYPE(*USRIDX) and look at the QPSRVDMP spooled file in the current
    > job. To access usridx objects you can use usridx apis, either to get
    > usridx attributes (as entry length) and to get each entry value. Refer
    > http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../apis/obj4.htm

  7. Re: iSeries backup question

    il 31/08/2007 13.20, Scrive tomasz 40375864:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Thanks for information, it was very helpfull.
    > Unfortunatelly I don't know how to read *USRIDX file to get list of
    > libraries which are backed up.

    I told you, using User Index APIs. See the bottom of my previous post.
    Its not difficult at all. You can wrap that APIs even in a file SPECIAL
    exit program to read index entries fom an RPG program with READ op.code,
    if it's more comfortable to you.
    But if you prefer, it's not as smart as I like, you can read and parse
    the spooled file produced by the DMPOBJ Command as well.
    >> To have an idea how those *usridx are made DMPOBJ OBJ(QEZBACKUPL)
    >> OBJTYPE(*USRIDX) and look at the QPSRVDMP spooled file in the current
    >> job. To access usridx objects you can use usridx apis, either to get
    >> usridx attributes (as entry length) and to get each entry value. Refer
    >> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../apis/obj4.htm

  8. Re: iSeries backup question

    Sorry,my mistake.

    Thank you very much for help.

    Tomasz

    Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    > il 31/08/2007 13.20, Scrive tomasz 40375864:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> Thanks for information, it was very helpfull.
    >> Unfortunatelly I don't know how to read *USRIDX file to get list of
    >> libraries which are backed up.

    > I told you, using User Index APIs. See the bottom of my previous post.
    > Its not difficult at all. You can wrap that APIs even in a file SPECIAL
    > exit program to read index entries fom an RPG program with READ op.code,
    > if it's more comfortable to you.
    > But if you prefer, it's not as smart as I like, you can read and parse
    > the spooled file produced by the DMPOBJ Command as well.
    >>> To have an idea how those *usridx are made DMPOBJ OBJ(QEZBACKUPL)
    >>> OBJTYPE(*USRIDX) and look at the QPSRVDMP spooled file in the current
    >>> job. To access usridx objects you can use usridx apis, either to get
    >>> usridx attributes (as entry length) and to get each entry value.
    >>> Refer to
    >>> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../apis/obj4.htm

  9. Re: iSeries backup question

    If you go the menu SETUPBCKUP, as long as you have authority, you can select
    the Daily, Weekly or Monthly option and then with F16, you can change the
    libraries to be saved.

    Peter

    "tomasz" wrote in message
    > Sorry,my mistake.
    >
    > Thank you very much for help.
    >
    > Tomasz
    >

    > Dr.UgoGagliardelli pisze:
    >> il 31/08/2007 13.20, Scrive tomasz 40375864:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for information, it was very helpfull.
    >>> Unfortunatelly I don't know how to read *USRIDX file to get list of
    >>> libraries which are backed up.

    >> I told you, using User Index APIs. See the bottom of my previous post.
    >> Its not difficult at all. You can wrap that APIs even in a file SPECIAL
    >> exit program to read index entries fom an RPG program with READ op.code,
    >> if it's more comfortable to you.
    >> But if you prefer, it's not as smart as I like, you can read and parse
    >> the spooled file produced by the DMPOBJ Command as well.

  10. Re: iSeries backup question

    il 31/08/2007 17.23, Scrive Peter Kinsman 40375864:
    > If you go the menu SETUPBCKUP, as long as you have authority, you can select
    > the Daily, Weekly or Monthly option and then with F16, you can change the
    > libraries to be saved.
    >
    > Peter

    Do it in batch.