Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file? - IBM AS400 ; I would like to get print queue information (e.g. from F10, 2) into a P.C. spreadsheet - thus I say, into a text file. Between constant page- up/downs, and F11s after F11s after F11s because it takes four horizontal screens ...

  1. Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    I would like to get print queue information (e.g. from F10, 2) into a
    P.C. spreadsheet - thus I say, into a text file. Between constant page-
    up/downs, and F11s after F11s after F11s because it takes four
    horizontal screens to show each queue entry(its default orientation
    giving rise to tons of horizontal whitespace), and inability to sort,
    the interface as is, is just pathetic. It begs for user errors, and
    always, _always_ wastes time. Real time. If I could consolidate F10
    information to a single file, I'd slap it into Excel, and in about .2
    seconds all would be swell.

    By sheer accident I learned of iSeries Navigator which may be
    worthwhile, at least better than the F10 arrangement as installed
    here. I snuck around looking into it, but it only seems to scope to
    jobs I submitted, and the jobs that are most difficult to keep sorted
    out are weekly and monthly production jobs (with a production user
    name "PRL"). If I asked to have simple READ-ONLY privileges to PRL,
    simply on the output queue DISPLAYS (not any actual data!!), the
    uptight lead administrator here would probably send memos to upper
    management saying I am upsetting her state of the art cart. That's the
    IQ level I'm up against in this sanitarium. (Just to further drive
    home the insanity point, I already _have_ those priveleges to a degree
    when navigating F10 etc.)

    Maybe ways to tailor these things are built in. Maybe they're options.
    Maybe there are universally acclaimed addins. I don't know. I'm a P.C.
    guy now, though. So I have zero administrative privileges, and in fact
    am regarded as a troublemaker for asking these questions "when
    everyone ELSE is just fine with it." In God's fun sense of humor I
    currently reside in a shop where I'm treated as a level 1 insect by
    the Mainframe(midrange) gatekeepers. Better yet, those up there with
    an IQ above 90 have as much throughput improvement and efficiency
    initiative as a sheet of linoleum.

    So consider the question from a quasi renegade point of view. My
    solution will not involve program requests for upgrades or requests
    for add-ins because I'll be laughed out of my financial department
    career here. The answer might turn out to be that I can pull $100 out
    of my own pocket for a keystroke-fueled screenscraper, that I install
    in Windows, that will (in my case) grab 4 screens at once into the
    windows clipboard. Do you follow?

    Sorry that I have fallen to being a babbling pathetic whining loser.
    20 years ago I was writing assembler and C when the people in control
    of my data were in diapers, and now I sound like a whimpering baby.
    But I have no one to scream to here for therapy. If you read this far,
    sorry to have put you through that. But then again, maybe some of you
    have been here, or still are - and know that someone it helps just to
    scream!

  2. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    It's not exactly clear to me what information you want to transfer to
    the PC (or why); but I think you might be able to make use of the
    Spool File APIs, in particular QGYOLSPL, QUSLSPL, and QSPROUTQ are
    likely to be good starting points.

  3. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    il 29/08/2007 23.26, Scrive zofficedepot@hotmail.com 40349528:

    [...]
    Sorry but I didn't fully understand what you tried to mean.
    What I can say is that op.nav let you select the output queue as a
    filter for printed outputs, and fully honors the permissions of the user
    that logged on.

  4. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    If programming to the APIs [mentioned in another posting] is not an
    option, as I infer may be the case, then perhaps the command request to
    WRKSPLF SELECT() OUTPUT(*PRINT), and then view that spool file from
    OpsNav? So for a particular job name QSQSRVR, list all of the spool
    files [where the user data remained the default of job name] using the
    request: WRKSPLF SELECT(*ALL *ALL *ALL QSQSRVR)

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    zofficedepot@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I would like to get print queue information (e.g. from F10, 2) into a
    > P.C. spreadsheet - thus I say, into a text file. Between constant page-
    > up/downs, and F11s after F11s after F11s because it takes four
    > horizontal screens to show each queue entry(its default orientation
    > giving rise to tons of horizontal whitespace), and inability to sort,
    > the interface as is, is just pathetic. It begs for user errors, and
    > always, _always_ wastes time. Real time. If I could consolidate F10
    > information to a single file, I'd slap it into Excel, and in about .2
    > seconds all would be swell.
    >
    > By sheer accident I learned of iSeries Navigator which may be
    > worthwhile, at least better than the F10 arrangement as installed
    > here. <>
    >
    > So consider the question from a quasi renegade point of view. My
    > solution will not involve program requests for upgrades or requests
    > for add-ins because I'll be laughed out of my financial department
    > career here. The answer might turn out to be that I can pull $100 out
    > of my own pocket for a keystroke-fueled screenscraper, that I install
    > in Windows, that will (in my case) grab 4 screens at once into the
    > windows clipboard. Do you follow?
    >
    > <>

  5. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    (apologies if this is a repeated post. groups.google.com has some
    issues, and reported an error on 2 earlier attempts)
    On Aug 30, 4:02 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:

    > Sorry but I didn't fully understand what you tried to mean.
    > What I can say is that op.nav let you select the output queue as a
    > filter for printed outputs, and fully honors the permissions of the user that logged on.

    Dr.Gagliardelli, your reply impelled me to look further into iSeries
    Navigator. It seems that Tcpline2 / Basic Operations / Printer Output
    only displays entries for my User name, but I went further and
    discovered that I could see all the entries under Tcpline2 / Basic
    Operations / Printers.

    The mere ability to sort by Created date (ascending OR descending!) is
    priceless. I'm tearing into this, customizing columns, etc. This is
    vastly superior to the 25X80 screen with only 9 entries per page
    requiring constant use of the F11 key and only sorted by last-released
    date. Vastly!

    Thank each of you others also for your insightful offerings. Clearly
    I've asked the best people. Newsgroups make the world a better place,
    and efforts like yours inspire me to contribute in those forums where
    I have the ability to help similarly.

  6. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    il 31/08/2007 18.07, Scrive zofficedepot@hotmail.com 40375864:
    > (apologies if this is a repeated post. groups.google.com has some
    > issues, and reported an error on 2 earlier attempts)
    > On Aug 30, 4:02 am, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry but I didn't fully understand what you tried to mean.
    >> What I can say is that op.nav let you select the output queue as a
    >> filter for printed outputs, and fully honors the permissions of the user that logged on.

    > Dr.Gagliardelli, your reply impelled me to look further into iSeries
    > Navigator. It seems that Tcpline2 / Basic Operations / Printer Output
    > only displays entries for my User name, but I went further and
    > discovered that I could see all the entries under Tcpline2 / Basic
    > Operations / Printers.

    I didn't impel you, just suggest! :-))

    If you right-click on "printed output" on the left pane, you'll get the
    contextual menu from where selecting "customize view" and then "include"
    you'll be able to act on selection filters. The same can be achieved
    from the menu bar view\customize view\include.
    Maybe your menu labels may differ basing on your language, I just tried
    to imagine what would be in english my italian screen.

  7. Re: Transfer Print queue(F10) list to text file?

    On Aug 31, 1:47 pm, "Dr.UgoGagliardelli"
    wrote:
    > If you right-click on "printed output" on the left pane, you'll get the
    > contextual menu from where selecting "customize view" and then "include"
    > you'll be able to act on selection filters. The same can be achieved
    > from the menu bar view\customize view\include.
    > Maybe your menu labels may differ basing on your language, I just tried
    > to imagine what would be in english my italian screen.

    Thank you again for your kind interest. Each of the terms you used are
    precisely what appears in my U.S./English Navigator - and, yes, I am
    using every one of them!

+ Reply to Thread