Hi everyone,

I'm writing an OPM COBOL program that needs to process a large number
of sequential files (around 4,000 records). It's a parsing algorithm
that needs to find a few records at an unpredictable location in the
file. Obviously in COBOL I'd having to allow for reading a high
percentage of the records in each of the files.

Alternativey I could embed the SQL.code inside of the COBOL.

Which would be faster? Is the answer obvious or should I test it both
ways. Would the relative speed depend on other factors, ie size of
computer, memory, hard disk and OS400 version? The program will be run
on many different machines.

Thanks

Elliot