hanheld TCP data terminal to IR printer - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on hanheld TCP data terminal to IR printer - IBM AS400 ; Hey folks, I'm trying to connect my intermec 6400c (its a handheld portable 5250 terminal, TCP) to a zebra pt403 portable printer (the zebra and the intermec both have IR ports on them and support this type of printing). From ...

  1. hanheld TCP data terminal to IR printer

    Hey folks,
    I'm trying to connect my intermec 6400c (its a handheld portable 5250
    terminal, TCP) to a zebra pt403 portable printer (the zebra and the
    intermec both have IR ports on them and support this type of
    printing). From the description I got from the person I'm trying to
    work with to make this happen, this is a fairly common practice;
    appearantly the iSeries spits a "specially formatted image" (i'm
    assuming a postscript file?) at the handheld, which then "knows" to
    spit that out the IR port.

    Can anybody point me in the right direction here, or even tell me that
    I'm way off base? I've been googling to no avail.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

  2. Re: hanheld TCP data terminal to IR printer

    On Aug 27, 10:44 pm, Ryan wrote:
    > Hey folks,
    > I'm trying to connect my intermec 6400c (its a handheld portable 5250
    > terminal, TCP) to a zebra pt403 portable printer (the zebra and the
    > intermec both have IR ports on them and support this type of
    > printing). From the description I got from the person I'm trying to
    > work with to make this happen, this is a fairly common practice;
    > appearantly the iSeries spits a "specially formatted image" (i'm
    > assuming a postscript file?) at the handheld, which then "knows" to
    > spit that out the IR port.
    >
    > Can anybody point me in the right direction here, or even tell me that
    > I'm way off base? I've been googling to no avail.
    > Thanks,
    > Ryan

    Hi Ryan,

    The Zebra pt403 understands the Zebra Printer Language (ZPL and ZPL
    II). In order to support this printer with your handheld computer, you
    need to have an application residing on your IBM host that can output
    ZPL data. If this already exists, you then need to configure your
    Intermec 6400c so that it can accept ZPL information from the IBM host
    and then echo it to the Zebra pt403 on the IR port.

    Setting up the IR port for a printer is found on page 3-40 of the 6400
    Hand-Held Computer User's Guide.

    In order to receive printed information from your host, you can either
    use a virtual printer defined using the TN5250E protocol (requires a
    gateway between Intermec 6400c and IBM host as far as I know) or you
    can load a DOS based LPD server application on the Intermec 6400c and
    then use the IBM host LPR client to reach the Intermec 6400c and the
    printer on the IR port.

    Best Regards,

    /Paul
    --