Field missing from a program dump - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Field missing from a program dump - IBM AS400 ; I just added some code to a pgm and now I'm getting an array index error. No surprise there. However, the dump only has 54 pages when it use to be 200+ pages and lots of fields and data structures ...

  1. Field missing from a program dump

    I just added some code to a pgm and now I'm getting an array index error. No
    surprise there.

    However, the dump only has 54 pages when it use to be 200+ pages and lots of
    fields and data structures are missing from the dump.

    I can't seem to see any pattern to which items are missing from the dump.

    Some field which are full of data do not even show as being in the program.
    For instance, the following data structure has data (I'm viewing it a debug
    session at the line before the failed line)

    0777.00 D DETPRT DS 150 OCCURS(500)

    Yet in the dump all that shows is this.

    DETPRT CHAR(1) NOT ADDRESSABLE

    I remember having this problem a decade ago but it hasn't come up since and
    I don't remember what cured the problem of them missing fields (other than
    fixing the program so it doesn't fail) [smile]

    any ideas would be appreciated.

    Steve

  2. Re: Field missing from a program dump

    On Aug 27, 8:31 am, "NHRunner" wrote:
    > I just added some code to a pgm and now I'm getting an array index error. No
    > surprise there.
    >
    > However, the dump only has 54 pages when it use to be 200+ pages and lots of
    > fields and data structures are missing from the dump.
    >
    > I can't seem to see any pattern to which items are missing from the dump.
    >
    > Some field which are full of data do not even show as being in the program.
    > For instance, the following data structure has data (I'm viewing it a debug
    > session at the line before the failed line)
    >
    > 0777.00 D DETPRT DS 150 OCCURS(500)
    >
    > Yet in the dump all that shows is this.
    >
    > DETPRT CHAR(1) NOT ADDRESSABLE
    >
    > I remember having this problem a decade ago but it hasn't come up since and
    > I don't remember what cured the problem of them missing fields (other than
    > fixing the program so it doesn't fail) [smile]
    >
    > any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    The problem seems to be related to the fact that the data structure is
    corrupted. You are not getting to a point that all of the fields in
    the program are recognized - it's dumping before that.

  3. Re: Field missing from a program dump

    The data structure I mentioned was only one of dozens of program fields,
    arrays, and data structures that do not show up in dump.

    All of the missing items were valid and had normal data in them up to the
    line of code that failed. I verified that by using the interactive debugger.

    The array index field was not in the dump and yet the array for which the
    index was invalid was in the dump.

    I know that if I call another program and have incorrect sizes (usually
    shorter lengths) for passed parameters in that second program and update
    some the fields then upon return to the calling program, some data fields
    not in the passed parms can get corrupted. The corrupted data fields are
    dependent on being specified in the "D" area immediately after a field used
    as the passed parm. However, there is no called program in the problem
    program.

    I've tried having a *PSSR routine to trigger the dump upon error and have
    tried no routine so that I have to use a "D" in the RPG error message, I
    also used the "F" for full dump but the dump remains the same partial dump.

    This program has been in existence for over 12 years and has provided many
    good dumps over the years when manually triggered because many times it's
    easier to wade through a dump then work around hundreds of iterations during
    and interactive debugging session.

    Steve .

    "Alida" wrote in message
    news:1188338197.153626.295760@22g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > On Aug 27, 8:31 am, "NHRunner" wrote:
    >> I just added some code to a pgm and now I'm getting an array index error.
    >> No
    >> surprise there.
    >>
    >> However, the dump only has 54 pages when it use to be 200+ pages and lots
    >> of
    >> fields and data structures are missing from the dump.
    >>
    >> I can't seem to see any pattern to which items are missing from the dump.
    >>
    >> Some field which are full of data do not even show as being in the
    >> program.
    >> For instance, the following data structure has data (I'm viewing it a
    >> debug
    >> session at the line before the failed line)
    >>
    >> 0777.00 D DETPRT DS 150 OCCURS(500)
    >>
    >> Yet in the dump all that shows is this.
    >>
    >> DETPRT CHAR(1) NOT ADDRESSABLE
    >>
    >> I remember having this problem a decade ago but it hasn't come up since
    >> and
    >> I don't remember what cured the problem of them missing fields (other
    >> than
    >> fixing the program so it doesn't fail) [smile]
    >>
    >> any ideas would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > The problem seems to be related to the fact that the data structure is
    > corrupted. You are not getting to a point that all of the fields in
    > the program are recognized - it's dumping before that.

+ Reply to Thread