how does host integration server work? - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on how does host integration server work? - IBM AS400 ; in this most excellent interview with the developer of host integration server, it is stated that HIS requires no IBM client software for it to function. http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=312365 I have started to install the HIS trial and the install steps have ...

  1. how does host integration server work?

    in this most excellent interview with the developer of host
    integration server, it is stated that HIS requires no IBM client
    software for it to function.
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=312365

    I have started to install the HIS trial and the install steps have you
    using the WRKRDBDIRE command.

    presumably host integration server uses all open interfaces to the
    as400. What would those interfaces be and are they documented?

    thanks,

    -Steve

    ( I am looking to add a "linked server" to sql server to integrate the
    as400 database as a database within sql server. apparantly, you dont
    need to pay for HIS to do this. there is an OLE DB driver from MSFT,
    written by the HIS team, which can be downloaded for no charge. )

  2. Re: how does host integration server work?

    On Aug 22, 12:35 pm, Steve Richter wrote:
    > in this most excellent interview with the developer of host
    > integration server, it is stated that HIS requires no IBM client
    > software for it to function.http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=312365
    >
    > I have started to install the HIS trial and the install steps have you
    > using the WRKRDBDIRE command.
    >
    > presumably host integration server uses all open interfaces to the
    > as400. What would those interfaces be and are they documented?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > -Steve
    >
    > ( I am looking to add a "linked server" to sql server to integrate the
    > as400 database as a database within sql server. apparantly, you dont
    > need to pay for HIS to do this. there is an OLE DB driver from MSFT,
    > written by the HIS team, which can be downloaded for no charge. )

    I have linked servers working this way. I just pointed to ODBC
    connection. The WrkRDBDirE is needed to get the "database" name.
    The database name on most iSeries machines (aka AS400) is usually the
    system name, but doesn't have to be.

  3. Re: how does host integration server work?

    On Aug 22, 1:57 pm, Graybeard wrote:

    > > ( I am looking to add a "linked server" to sql server to integrate the
    > > as400 database as a database within sql server. apparantly, you dont
    > > need to pay for HIS to do this. there is an OLE DB driver from MSFT,
    > > written by the HIS team, which can be downloaded for no charge. )

    > I have linked servers working this way. I just pointed to ODBC
    > connection.

    that is good to know, thanks.

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...8(SQL.80).aspx

  4. Re: how does host integration server work?

    Graybeard,

    Does SQLServer2005 Express Edition work with this? I mean, can I use
    SQLServer 2005 Express and link the as/400 with my server to allow
    "access" programs more seamless function?

    Where does one get started with something like this? Got any links to
    documentation that you would share?

    thanks,
    ga

    Graybeard wrote:

    >On Aug 22, 12:35 pm, Steve Richter wrote:
    >> in this most excellent interview with the developer of host
    >> integration server, it is stated that HIS requires no IBM client
    >> software for it to function.http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=312365
    >>
    >> I have started to install the HIS trial and the install steps have you
    >> using the WRKRDBDIRE command.
    >>
    >> presumably host integration server uses all open interfaces to the
    >> as400. What would those interfaces be and are they documented?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> -Steve
    >>
    >> ( I am looking to add a "linked server" to sql server to integrate the
    >> as400 database as a database within sql server. apparantly, you dont
    >> need to pay for HIS to do this. there is an OLE DB driver from MSFT,
    >> written by the HIS team, which can be downloaded for no charge. )

    >I have linked servers working this way. I just pointed to ODBC
    >connection. The WrkRDBDirE is needed to get the "database" name.
    >The database name on most iSeries machines (aka AS400) is usually the
    >system name, but doesn't have to be.

    ga
    nospam@nospam.fmctc.com

  5. Re: how does host integration server work?

    On Aug 22, 5:17 pm, ga wrote:
    > Graybeard,
    >
    > Does SQLServer2005 Express Edition work with this? I mean, can I use
    > SQLServer 2005 Express and link the as/400 with my server to allow
    > "access" programs more seamless function?
    >
    > Where does one get started with something like this? Got any links to
    > documentation that you would share?
    >
    > thanks,
    > ga
    >

    > Graybeard wrote:
    > >On Aug 22, 12:35 pm, Steve Richter wrote:
    > >> in this most excellent interview with the developer of host
    > >> integration server, it is stated that HIS requires no IBM client
    > >> software for it to function.http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=312365

    > >> I have started to install the HIS trial and the install steps have you
    > >> using the WRKRDBDIRE command.

    > >> presumably host integration server uses all open interfaces to the
    > >> as400. What would those interfaces be and are they documented?

    > >> thanks,

    > >> -Steve

    > >> ( I am looking to add a "linked server" to sql server to integrate the
    > >> as400 database as a database within sql server. apparantly, you dont
    > >> need to pay for HIS to do this. there is an OLE DB driver from MSFT,
    > >> written by the HIS team, which can be downloaded for no charge. )

    > >I have linked servers working this way. I just pointed to ODBC
    > >connection. The WrkRDBDirE is needed to get the "database" name.
    > >The database name on most iSeries machines (aka AS400) is usually the
    > >system name, but doesn't have to be.

    > ga
    > nos...@nospam.fmctc.com- Hide quoted text -

    I haven't tried it with Express. I am also not an expert here. On
    review, I find I am using the OLE driver (not OBDC as I said). I
    created a inked Server with provider "IBM DB2 UDB for iSeries IBMDA400
    OLE". This, I think, is installed as an option with iSeries Access
    (no license required). I provide the system name as "Data Source".
    Get security setup and it works.

    I'm sure i got my info from a link somewhere - I'll try to find it.

+ Reply to Thread