HA Software - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on HA Software - IBM AS400 ; I am interested in anyone's experiences, good or bad, with High Availability software. We are looking at Mimix and iTera (both owned by Vision now)....

  1. HA Software

    I am interested in anyone's experiences, good or bad, with High
    Availability software. We are looking at Mimix and iTera (both owned
    by Vision now).

  2. Re: HA Software

    On Aug 22, 12:19 am, Amorz wrote:
    > I am interested in anyone's experiences, good or bad, with High
    > Availability software. We are looking at Mimix and iTera (both owned
    > by Vision now).

    My experience dates from before the mergers .....

    We tried Mimix. Total failure. Replication kept dropping out of
    synch. I tried for 6 months, and never got it working correctly.
    Mimix support was worthless.

    Then I tried iTera (at much lower price). Same problems Mimix had,
    but got good support. After a few weeks, I had it running happily.

    My problems mostly stemmed from Mapics. Some of our Mapics files have
    hundreds of LF's built over them, and the replication couldn't keep
    up. iTera had a setup where it would auto re-synch anything that fell
    out of line. We also had work files being built, populated, and
    deleted before the replication could get them built.

    By omitting replication of these workfiles, changing most LF's to
    delayed maint, and applying iTera PTF's we got it working correctly.
    We did test rollover, but never had to actually use it.

  3. Re: HA Software

    On Aug 22, 2:07 pm, Graybeard wrote:
    > On Aug 22, 12:19 am, Amorz wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested in anyone's experiences, good or bad, with High
    > > Availability software. We are looking at Mimix and iTera (both owned
    > > by Vision now).

    > My experience dates from before the mergers .....
    >
    > We tried Mimix. Total failure. Replication kept dropping out of
    > synch. I tried for 6 months, and never got it working correctly.
    > Mimix support was worthless.
    >
    > Then I tried iTera (at much lower price). Same problems Mimix had,
    > but got good support. After a few weeks, I had it running happily.
    >
    > My problems mostly stemmed from Mapics. Some of our Mapics files have
    > hundreds of LF's built over them, and the replication couldn't keep
    > up. iTera had a setup where it would auto re-synch anything that fell
    > out of line. We also had work files being built, populated, and
    > deleted before the replication could get them built.
    >
    > By omitting replication of these workfiles, changing most LF's to
    > delayed maint, and applying iTera PTF's we got it working correctly.
    > We did test rollover, but never had to actually use it.

    did you find out why it would get out of sync? I can understand the
    replication being slow, but why the out of sync part.

    I am curious to understand if there is more to replication than just
    retrieving journaled changes and applying them in the order received.

    -Steve

+ Reply to Thread