How to identify model of an old AS/400 - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on How to identify model of an old AS/400 - IBM AS400 ; Hello, Recently I got an old AS/400 that was going to be discarded. It's an AS400 type 9420 towered in a black box case, but I can't identify the model. Well, they didn't give me any printout information about the ...

  1. How to identify model of an old AS/400

    Hello,

    Recently I got an old AS/400 that was going to be discarded. It's an
    AS400
    type 9420 towered in a black box case, but I can't identify the model.

    Well, they didn't give me any printout information about the system.
    So far I managed to plug the InfoWindow monitor and the keyboard
    through,
    also I read about how to "program" the display in front of the black
    tower
    case, and order to "IPL?" boot it, so I had the logon window.

    So my main task now is how to obtain the model of this AS 400 9402.
    And to know if there is any way to reset the administrator password.
    ( I asked
    if they could provide me the previous one, but no answer yet).

    This is all the information I could gather from the front:

    SN 44-45688 (This must be the serial number)
    Also I got this: MS940244R5688

    Type: 9402
    kVA: 1.2
    V: 100-127/ 200-240
    A:10/5
    Hz:50/60
    0: 1
    Listed Info Tech Eequip: 88Y4
    LR56529
    NOM-018
    EN 60 950

    Could anybody give me ideas of how to identify the model, or if some
    versions of the OS admit
    a change of admin password?

  2. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    Resetting QSECOFR Password Using DST:

    http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...c?OpenDocument

  3. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    Hola Juan,

    Email me a picture of it and I'll let you know the model.

    Cheers Brad

  4. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    On Aug 19, 11:25 pm, Brad wrote:
    > Hola Juan,
    >
    > Email me a picture of it and I'll let you know the model.
    >
    > Cheers Brad

    Here I posted some pictures of the creature:

    http://vejeta.no-ip.org/AS400/

    Thanks!

  5. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    On Aug 19, 4:04 pm, "Emile" wrote:
    > Resetting QSECOFR Password Using DST:
    >
    > http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...688625680b0002...

    Greetings Emile, the document was very useful. Even when I'm a total
    newbie at this machines, followed the steps on the frontal display,
    then the options
    in the Infowindow showed.

    I did the steps indicated in "Resetting QSECOFR with an Attended IPL",

    Since I had to choose the option 11, on step 5: - Select Option 11 on
    RISC machines (R360, R370, R410, and R420)

    I think the machine must be one of those.

  6. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    On 19 ago, 16:04, "Emile" wrote:
    > Resetting QSECOFR Password Using DST:
    >
    > http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...688625680b0002...

    Thanks Emile, Following the instructions given for "Resetting QSECOFR
    with an Attended IPL" I managed to change the administrator password
    and logon into the machine.

    Then, following the instructions given in the Deathrow Cluster by some
    kind member, just executing "STRSST" (Start Service Tools command), I
    extracted a bit more info.

    -Type-Model: 9402-400
    -Release: V3R7M0 (1)
    -System processor:
    Tipo-Modelo: 2131-000
    Estado: Operativo
    Número de serie: 53-6891159
    Número de pieza: 0000021H8386

    I can't recognize the processor, but maybe it's a RISC?
    I wonder if the OS can be upgraded, or what kind of applications would
    be nice to explore or installed.

    Cheers,

    Juan

  7. Re: How to identify model of an old AS/400

    Hi Juan

    Thanks for the picture, can see you already got the answer, yes this
    is a first generation RISC processor, the 400-2131 range was released
    in June 1995 and withdrawn from marketing in March 1999. It has a CPW
    rating of 20.6 for batch and interactive and could run V4R3 of OS/400
    but not sure you would want to spend the time doing that.

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers Brad

+ Reply to Thread