SYSCOLUMNS is gone. - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on SYSCOLUMNS is gone. - IBM AS400 ; I recently discovered that the LF SYSCOLUMNS is no longer on my V5R3 iSeries. This is preventing me from starting my LDAP server as well as other issues. Would it work simply to restore this file from tape? Any suggestions ...

  1. SYSCOLUMNS is gone.

    I recently discovered that the LF SYSCOLUMNS is no longer on my V5R3
    iSeries. This is preventing me from starting my LDAP server as well
    as other issues. Would it work simply to restore this file from
    tape? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thad Rizzi

  2. Re: SYSCOLUMNS is gone.

    On Aug 17, 7:39 pm, Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > I recently discovered that the LF SYSCOLUMNS is no longer on my V5R3
    > iSeries. This is preventing me from starting my LDAP server as well
    > as other issues. Would it work simply to restore this file from
    > tape? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

    If this is a LF, then the restore should work. Restore of a LF only
    restores the access path definition, the data will come from the PF
    already on the disk.

  3. Re: SYSCOLUMNS is gone.

    The outcome is a known side effect for conditions effecting CPF32D1.
    If that were the cause, then as noted in the recovery, a request to
    RCLSTG SELECT(*DBXREF) would have been required to correct the data that
    was lost when the file was deleted.

    Because QSYS2 is now one of the pseudo-user libraries, most backup
    strategies should have that file. However being a logical file with a
    /known/ definition, it can be created versus restored. The install of
    OPTION(01) of the i5/OS creates this and other files; that option /owns/
    the libraries QSYS2 [and presumably SYSIBM]. There is an effective API
    that creates the missing file in QSYS2, and that can be used to create
    the missing files in a user SQL COLLECTION/SCHEMA also. The API can
    also be used to (re)create the SCHEMA VIEW objects to match the new
    release definitions, when a CREATE SCHEMA on a current release might
    create a VIEW with a newer definition than it had on past releases; and
    the SCHEMA was created on a prior release. The API can also resolve the
    condition whereby a SCHEMA taken to an older release does not allow the
    restore of the VIEW objects because they had a definition which is not
    compatible with the other release; i.e. create the [missing] VIEW files
    on the restored-to release. However my favorite use of the API is to
    simply remove the [IMO unnecessary; the copies in SYSIBM and QSYS2
    suffice] VIEW objects from each SCHEMA that I create. The API is
    QSQXRLF in QSYS2. The API will fail in most cases where the data in the
    *DBXREF was not first corrected, after a failure which led to a SQL
    system catalog VIEW having been deleted as a side-effect.

    The invocation to DROP the catalog VIEW objects from a user SCHEMA:
    call qsys2/qsqxrlf (dlt 'MYLIB') /* where MYLIB is SCHEMA name */

    The invocation to CREATE the catalog VIEW objects in a user SCHEMA:
    call qsys2/qsqxrlf (crt 'MYLIB') /* where MYLIB is SCHEMA name */

    For the QSYS2 library, since files are dependent on the files in
    library QSYS2, another API exists for those files. The sequence of CALL
    activity to those API in the install of OPTION(01) is effectively the
    following:
    call qsys2/qsqxrlf (dlt qsys2) /* 'CRT' may do implicitly.? */
    call qsys2/qsqxrlf (crt qsys2) /* equates: PARM('CRT' 'QSYS2') */
    call qsys/qsqsysibm

    Additionally or alternatively, since the files are /created/ on the
    install versus /shipped/ in the Licensed Program Product distribution,
    using the /install/ versus the other methods can be used instead of any
    of: a restore from backup, a create view request, the API invocation(s).
    The easiest method is the following:
    crtsavf qgpl/q5722ss101 text('savlicpgm 5722ss1 option(01)')
    savlicpgm 5722ss1 *savf savf(qgpl/q5722ss101) option(01)
    rstlicpgm 5722ss1 *savf savf(qgpl/q5722ss101) option(01)
    Note: If the restore fails, then before a new attempt, SIGNOFF
    *LIST and sign back on. Or submit the restore request. Just so that
    any new attemp is a new job -- a /chicken or egg/ situation requires that.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    Thad Rizzi wrote:
    > I recently discovered that the LF SYSCOLUMNS is no longer on my V5R3
    > iSeries. This is preventing me from starting my LDAP server as well
    > as other issues. Would it work simply to restore this file from
    > tape? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thad Rizzi

+ Reply to Thread