Apache Configuration - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Apache Configuration - IBM AS400 ; All, Due to issues beyond my control, I need to know if it is possible to configue and instance of the HTTP server (Powered by Apache) to service one port using SSL and another port without SSL. If so, how? ...

  1. Apache Configuration

    All,

    Due to issues beyond my control, I need to know if it is possible to
    configue and instance of the HTTP server (Powered by Apache) to
    service one port using SSL and another port without SSL. If so, how?
    I'm thinking it will probably intail Virtual hosts, but I have not
    dealt with these yet.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. Re: Apache Configuration

    Cybermonke writes:

    > service one port using SSL and another port without SSL. If so, how?
    > I'm thinking it will probably intail Virtual hosts, but I have not
    > dealt with these yet.

    This is pretty close to a stock configuration, so the server docs
    should tell you that. I believe that this is all configurable from
    the web interface.

    Note however that you cannot use virtual hosts for multiple SSL-sites
    on the same port as the SSL-negotiation happens before the virtual
    hosts are resolved. You must have a separate IP-number for each
    SSL-site.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: Apache Configuration

    On Aug 16, 4:17 pm, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    wrote:
    > Cybermonke writes:
    > > service one port using SSL and another port without SSL. If so, how?
    > > I'm thinking it will probably intail Virtual hosts, but I have not
    > > dealt with these yet.

    > This is pretty close to a stock configuration, so the server docs
    > should tell you that. I believe that this is all configurable from
    > the web interface.
    >
    > Note however that you cannot use virtual hosts for multiple SSL-sites
    > on the same port as the SSL-negotiation happens before the virtual
    > hosts are resolved. You must have a separate IP-number for each
    > SSL-site.
    >
    > --
    > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    Thanks for the quick response. Maybe it is just me, but I have looked
    through the doco and used the web interface to configure the server,
    but I can't get one port to use SSL and one port to use non-SSL. I
    have to create a new server instance to do this. We are trying to
    avoid additional servers running on the machine if possible.

  4. Re: Apache Configuration

    You can do this but you need to use IP based virtual hosts and not
    name based virtual hosts to do it. If You're only using the IBM
    documentation, I can see where you would get lost. IBM's documentation
    stinks pretty bad. The offical Apache documentation at http://httpd.apache.org
    on the other hand, is really good. It's been a long time since I had
    to look at it but there is an SSL how to that is pretty good and I'm
    pretty sure covers this set up. Note that this documentation is going
    to refer to OpenSSL which is set up differently but other than that,
    it should be exactly what you need.

    Matt

    On Aug 17, 7:58 am, Cybermonke wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 4:17 pm, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Cybermonke writes:
    > > > service one port using SSL and another port without SSL. If so, how?
    > > > I'm thinking it will probably intail Virtual hosts, but I have not
    > > > dealt with these yet.

    > > This is pretty close to a stock configuration, so the server docs
    > > should tell you that. I believe that this is all configurable from
    > > the web interface.

    > > Note however that you cannot use virtual hosts for multiple SSL-sites
    > > on the same port as the SSL-negotiation happens before the virtual
    > > hosts are resolved. You must have a separate IP-number for each
    > > SSL-site.

    > > --
    > > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    > Thanks for the quick response. Maybe it is just me, but I have looked
    > through the doco and used the web interface to configure the server,
    > but I can't get one port to use SSL and one port to use non-SSL. I
    > have to create a new server instance to do this. We are trying to
    > avoid additional servers running on the machine if possible.- Hide quotedtext -

  5. Re: Apache Configuration

    On Aug 17, 8:52 am, matt.h...@thomsonlearning.com wrote:
    > You can do this but you need to use IP based virtual hosts and not
    > name based virtual hosts to do it. If You're only using the IBM
    > documentation, I can see where you would get lost. IBM's documentation
    > stinks pretty bad. The offical Apache documentation athttp://httpd.apache..org
    > on the other hand, is really good. It's been a long time since I had
    > to look at it but there is an SSL how to that is pretty good and I'm
    > pretty sure covers this set up. Note that this documentation is going
    > to refer to OpenSSL which is set up differently but other than that,
    > it should be exactly what you need.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > On Aug 17, 7:58 am, Cybermonke wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 16, 4:17 pm, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    > > wrote:

    > > > This is pretty close to a stock configuration, so the server docs
    > > > should tell you that. I believe that this is all configurable from
    > > > the web interface.

    > > > Note however that you cannot use virtual hosts for multiple SSL-sites
    > > > on the same port as the SSL-negotiation happens before the virtual
    > > > hosts are resolved. You must have a separate IP-number for each
    > > > SSL-site.

    > > > --
    > > > Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

    > > Thanks for the quick response. Maybe it is just me, but I have looked
    > > through the doco and used the web interface to configure the server,
    > > but I can't get one port to use SSL and one port to use non-SSL. I
    > > have to create a new server instance to do this. We are trying to
    > > avoid additional servers running on the machine if possible.- Hide quoted text -

    Matt,

    That helped. I got everything up and running. Thanks to you and
    Thorbjørn for your help.

  6. Re: Apache Configuration

    Cybermonke writes:

    > That helped. I got everything up and running. Thanks to you and
    > Thorbjørn for your help.

    You are welcome. Please note that encryption in general is a
    potential bottleneck CPU-wise. If you have a non-trivial load on the
    system you may want to keep an eye on the resource usage.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

+ Reply to Thread