Using iSeries save file on a PC - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Using iSeries save file on a PC - IBM AS400 ; A customer has sent me a save file created on an AS/400 iSeries. It contains some data that I need to look at my PC. Are there any PC- based tools that allow one to "break the save file" into ...

  1. Using iSeries save file on a PC

    A customer has sent me a save file created on an AS/400 iSeries. It
    contains some data that I need to look at my PC. Are there any PC-
    based tools that allow one to "break the save file" into its original
    components on a PC?

  2. Re: Using iSeries save file on a PC

    On Aug 9, 2:55 pm, ttho...@datasaviors.com wrote:
    > A customer has sent me a save file created on an AS/400 iSeries. It
    > contains some data that I need to look at my PC. Are there any PC-
    > based tools that allow one to "break the save file" into its original
    > components on a PC?

    Not that I've ever heard of.

  3. Re: Using iSeries save file on a PC

    Given that the usefulness of the binary data is limited to the
    operating systems of the System i family, probably the only content
    viewer available is going to be on a system running such an OS; e.g.
    i5/OS -- or if created originally on S/38 or OS/400, then on whatever
    operating system and release levels on or after the level to which the
    save data was created.
    Although a binary stream of data [as saved objects.data from a System
    i family OS], the _functionality_ of access to the data is available
    only when encapsulated in the *FILE object type with attribute SAVF --
    where only the supported methods are available to access its data. The
    content viewer there, is the command: DSPSAVF [Display Save File].
    There is probably little demand for such a viewer on a PC; although I
    recall the same question has been asked a couple times before. Similar
    I suppose for WIN BACKUP binaries taken from a PC; i.e. there is
    probably a lack of [demand for] tooling on other systems to be able to
    present the contents produced by that utility.
    I recall there are some people that have reverse engineered some of
    the details of *SAVF binary data, such that they can access the data in
    saved database files; and thus probably also header information for save
    requests, which would enable creating a content viewer. If the code was
    written in JAVA [or if in the mood for programming, in a manner/language
    somewhat conducive to a rewrite to a language available on the PC] it
    may be worth asking on NG gmane.comp.lang.as400.mi on the news server
    news.gmane.org or the equivalent NG on news.midrange.com ;; either way,
    visit midrange.com for access to post.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    tthomas@datasaviors.com wrote:
    > A customer has sent me a save file created on an AS/400 iSeries. It
    > contains some data that I need to look at my PC. Are there any PC-
    > based tools that allow one to "break the save file" into its original
    > components on a PC?

  4. Re: Using iSeries save file on a PC

    This site has a utility that can do some limited viewing of a save
    file.

    http://www.juliansoft.com/left.htm

    I have expermented a little with the free version. Save file must be
    created WITHOUT compression. You can view and extract souce members
    and dtata areas. Don't know about data files.

    You will need to contact the author for your specific need. Ths site
    is in English, but think it is in Japan.

    Denny

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:55:21 -0700, tthomas@datasaviors.com wrote:

    >A customer has sent me a save file created on an AS/400 iSeries. It
    >contains some data that I need to look at my PC. Are there any PC-
    >based tools that allow one to "break the save file" into its original
    >components on a PC?

+ Reply to Thread