WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing - IBM AS400 ; I'm using Bradley Stone's AFPTOOL command to generate TIFF images of checks which we are sending to our bank. After some trial and error, we got it working fine (thanks Bradley!) Our bank can only process images at a maximum ...

  1. WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing

    I'm using Bradley Stone's AFPTOOL command to generate TIFF images of
    checks which we are sending to our bank. After some trial and error,
    we got it working fine (thanks Bradley!)

    Our bank can only process images at a maximum of 240 DPI, so we had to
    amend the WSCST Object to create output at 240DPI, which works fine
    EXCEPT the MICR Line is being condensed! The character spacing is
    being totally messed up on the resulting image! This is not an issue
    when the TIFF images are generated at 300 DPI, which leads me to think
    that it is a problem with the WSCST.

    As MICR requirements are very precisely defined, this is causing our
    checks to be rejected by some of the receiving banks!

    Is there something that I need to do with the WSCST file, or is there
    another Font which I can use which will not suffer this problem (we
    are using Font resource C0R0AE13.240 downloaded from Code/400)

    Any input Would be greatly appreciated!

    Chris Wright

  2. Re: WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing

    il 03/08/2007 17.43, Scrive Chris Wright 38279952:
    > I'm using Bradley Stone's AFPTOOL command to generate TIFF images of
    > checks which we are sending to our bank. After some trial and error,
    > we got it working fine (thanks Bradley!)
    >
    > Our bank can only process images at a maximum of 240 DPI, so we had to
    > amend the WSCST Object to create output at 240DPI, which works fine
    > EXCEPT the MICR Line is being condensed! The character spacing is
    > being totally messed up on the resulting image! This is not an issue
    > when the TIFF images are generated at 300 DPI, which leads me to think
    > that it is a problem with the WSCST.
    >
    > As MICR requirements are very precisely defined, this is causing our
    > checks to be rejected by some of the receiving banks!
    >
    > Is there something that I need to do with the WSCST file, or is there
    > another Font which I can use which will not suffer this problem (we
    > are using Font resource C0R0AE13.240 downloaded from Code/400)
    >
    > Any input Would be greatly appreciated!

    I guess that's a font problem, QWPTIFFG4 is very simple and I think it's
    not its fault.
    It would be something like:
    :WSCST DEVCLASS=TRANSFORM.
    :PRTDTASTRM DATASTREAM = TIFF_G4.
    :RASTERMODE SCS=YES AFP=YES.
    :EWSCST.

    Using at 300 pels it uses the 300 pels font, and you say the output is
    ok, at 240 il will use the 240pels one, so it must be a font problem. If
    i guessed well, the same behavior would be observer printing on a 240
    pels printer.
    If you say that the line is condensed, it's a font matter, as the
    character increment is defined in the font index, inside the font
    itself. If you do not have another font, you can try to change the font
    increment and compile the font again. It's not so simple, but it may
    work. The 'Font Index' structured field, D38C89, is made of several
    repeating groups of 27 bytes, in each group at offset 0 yuo'll find the
    character name, at offset 8 for 2 bytes (an unsigned short) you find the
    character increment, that's how meny pels the current line position
    should increment after printing this character, if you change the
    increment you should change also the C-space of the same amout that's at
    offset 22, a signed short, this is the escapement space. Finally the sum
    of the 3 signed shorts at offset 18 (space before), 20 (width of the
    toned part of the character) and 22 should give the same as at offset 8,
    the increment. If you only change 8 and 22 of the same amount also the
    sum should be correct.

    I hope this helps.

  3. Re: WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing

    To clarify slightly, I'm using the 240 pel font in both cases, but to
    produce a 240 DPI image, I have created a new version of the QWPTIFFG4
    WSCST object which is as follows:

    :WSCST DEVCLASS=TRANSFORM.

    :TRNSFRMTBL.
    :PRTDTASTRM
    DATASTREAM= TIFF_G4.

    :PRTRSLTN
    RESOLUTION = 240.

    :INITPRT
    DATA = '4D4D002A'X.
    :RESETPRT
    DATA = '00000000'X.

    :EWSCST.

    So, if we run AFPTOOL specifying the standard QWPTIFFG4 we get a
    300DPI image which looks fine with the correct character spacing. If
    we run it specifying the modified version above, we get a 240DPI image
    with the characters condensed!

  4. Re: WSCSTs, MICR Fonts and Character Spacing

    il 03/08/2007 19.55, Scrive Chris Wright 39265952:
    > To clarify slightly, I'm using the 240 pel font in both cases, but to
    > produce a 240 DPI image, I have created a new version of the QWPTIFFG4
    > WSCST object which is as follows:
    >
    > :WSCST DEVCLASS=TRANSFORM.
    >
    > :TRNSFRMTBL.
    > :PRTDTASTRM
    > DATASTREAM= TIFF_G4.
    >
    > :PRTRSLTN
    > RESOLUTION = 240.
    >
    > :INITPRT
    > DATA = '4D4D002A'X.
    > :RESETPRT
    > DATA = '00000000'X.
    >
    > :EWSCST.
    >
    > So, if we run AFPTOOL specifying the standard QWPTIFFG4 we get a
    > 300DPI image which looks fine with the correct character spacing. If
    > we run it specifying the modified version above, we get a 240DPI image
    > with the characters condensed!

    Getting back fom vacation...
    So the problem should definitely be the a fault.
    BTW both :INITPRT and :RESETPRT should be ignored because of datastream
    is TIFF, '4D4D002A'X. is ascii MM42 that's part of the tiff-datastream
    indicating big-endian number encoding (MM means motorola that's
    big-endian opposite to'4949'x, ascii II that's Intel little-endian)