Limit the number of users sessions - IBM AS400

This is a discussion on Limit the number of users sessions - IBM AS400 ; I was wondering if there is way to limit the number user sessions that one can have? There are users that will open 10 + sessions at a time and not know what they are doing... But if anyone has ...

  1. Limit the number of users sessions

    I was wondering if there is way to limit the number user sessions that
    one can have?

    There are users that will open 10 + sessions at a time and not know
    what they are doing...

    But if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    You need to find a copy of the TRMUSR command (Terminate User).

    I perfer to use it with DEATH(*SLOWPAINFULL)

    Denny

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:05:10 -0700, tmmiller
    wrote:

    >I was wondering if there is way to limit the number user sessions that
    >one can have?
    >
    >There are users that will open 10 + sessions at a time and not know
    >what they are doing...
    >
    >But if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Tim

  3. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    Sessions as in virtual devices created, or actual signons?
    Regardless, some quick thoughts:
    - Education of users :-)
    - WRKSYSVAL QLMTDEVSSN ;; WRKSYSVAL QAUTOVRT
    - Subsystem control: a subsystem routing program which allocates a
    data area or two [or row(s) of a table] such that when no allocations
    remain available for that user, that signon is prevented. Could be
    implemented across multiple interactive subsystems or maybe just one.
    - Telnet exit program; presumably tn5250(e) sessions
    - QIBM_QWT_JOBNOTIFY exit point?? IIRC there was a job start and
    job end exit, that must be it; not sure if enables prevent start, but if
    so, an inquiry of what jobs already active to the user can be reviewed
    by a program.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    tmmiller wrote:
    > I was wondering if there is way to limit the number user sessions that
    > one can have?
    >
    > There are users that will open 10 + sessions at a time and not know
    > what they are doing...
    >
    > But if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know

  4. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:16:10 -0400, Denny wrote:
    > You need to find a copy of the TRMUSR command (Terminate User).
    >
    > I perfer to use it with DEATH(*SLOWPAINFULL)

    Is this a V5R4 enhancement?

    --
    6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

  5. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    I thought that was controlled on the user profile.

  6. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    On 2 Aug, 22:05, tmmiller wrote:
    > I was wondering if there is way to limit the number user sessions that
    > one can have?
    >
    > There are users that will open 10 + sessions at a time and not know
    > what they are doing...
    >
    > But if anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    Hi,
    change your System value- QLMTDEVSSN to 1

  7. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    The feature to Limit Device Sessions has control available at the
    user profile level as well, rather than only a system value QLMTDEVSSN:
    CRTUSRPRF LMTDEVSSN( *SYSVAL | *YES | *NO )
    CHGSYSVAL QLMTDEVSSN ( '0' | '1' )
    The "Limit Device Sessions" feature however, is either true or false,
    and its limit is to just one interactive device when activated. When
    more sessions are required, an alternate method must be used to achieve
    what is desired.

    Regards, Chuck
    employer

    eknight wrote:
    > I thought that was controlled on the user profile.

  8. Re: Limit the number of users sessions

    I would recommend moving the users to iSeries Access for the Web if
    you can. All 5250 sessions there are centrally controlled and not able
    to be overridden or manipulated by the users.

    iSeries Access for the Web is a part of iSeries Access (formerly
    Client Access).

+ Reply to Thread